Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No, I'm not making this up. According to the CEO of Verizon, they want the iPhone, but they have to earn it. Sure, they are doing alright with the Android team they have. But to get a top player like the iPhone, they have to earn it.

Read it yourself. I still can't believe he said it. Wow! Just, Wow!
    keep in mind that "earning it" basically means they have to have a 4g network. Apple isn't interested in building CDMA phones where you can't talk and surf the web at the same time.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Seidenberg is a tool
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That means they are getting the iPhone, very soon, since that would mean that they earned it. Good for you Verizon! If they aren't getting the iPhone, he would never say that because then that would mean that they didn't earn it. Bad Verizon!

He is saying that When they get the iPhone, it will be due to Verizon's great network rather than due to Apple's generosity in finally granting the Jesus phone to them.

They are getting the iPhone. Soon.
    Is Apple starting production of 3 million CDMA iPhones in December? Boy Genius Report
    of course it will be LTE+CDMA just as Sprint offers WiMax+CDMA. I meant CDMA-only phones.

In my opinion, of course.
  6.    #6  
    No matter how you spin it, this was a disastrous statement, period. He didn't just make the statement, he gave an illustration to show what he meant. He compared Verizon to a bad basketball team that is trying to attract a great player.

He said what he said. It can never be spun, corrected, retracted, or smoothed over in any way. Hurd's comments about why HP bought Palm just got knocked off the top spot of the CEO hoof-in-mouth chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    of course it will be LTE+CDMA just as Sprint offers WiMax+CDMA. I meant CDMA-only phones.

In my opinion, of course.
    That would be nice.

Unfortunately, most of the people who would know about what the N92 is are saying it's just a CDMA version of the iPhone 4. Not being able to do simultaneous voice and data sucks but it's in-line with the rest of Verizon's high-end offerings.
    when was the last time you saw Steve Jobs accept a step backwards in user experience?
    when was the last time you saw Steve Jobs accept a step backwards in user experience?
    I see your point but I think getting the iPhone on Verizon is more important than supporting simultaneous voice and data.

Remember, they'll be selling to a market that doesn't consider being able to use data while on a voice call to be a must-have feature.
    also remember their entire activation and provisioning system has to be integrated with iTunes. by the time VZW does that, they will have LTE deployed widely.

Jobs wouldn't let AT&T launch the iPhone until the user experience met his standards. I know a few of the people that had to make that stuff happen, and they said they needed combat pay.

the term "earning it" means doing things Steve's way.
    That means they are getting the iPhone, very soon, since that would mean that they earned it. Good for you Verizon! If they aren't getting the iPhone, he would never say that because then that would mean that they didn't earn it. Bad Verizon!

He is saying that When they get the iPhone, it will be due to Verizon's great network rather than due to Apple's generosity in finally granting the Jesus phone to them.

They are getting the iPhone. Soon.
    Agreed! No executive is going to kow-tow to another company so blatantly. He's just setting up his company to look like they are special when the announcement is made. I'm sure it's already a done deal. (Dandbj13, don't read too much into the statement)

It wasn't that long ago when they seemed to be in a blood feud. Behind the scenes, he's probably bragging to his board that they have brought Apple to the table by pimping the Androids so heavily.

Right now Verizon is feeling like the ruler of the world. This will be bad news for Palm, because now the REALLY won't care, they won't even pretend to anymore.

Palm, you had better come up with a strategy to counter.
    keep in mind that "earning it" basically means they have to have a 4g network. Apple isn't interested in building CDMA phones where you can't talk and surf the web at the same time.
    Meh. My opinion is that better call quality/stability trumps the ability to use the internet while making a call. But since Verizon was apparently testing telephony over Rev. A that's probably what a Verizon iPhone will use for calls instead of 1x.
    I didn't say LTE-only, and I clarified that I know it will be LTE+CDMA just as Sprint is selling WiMAX+CDMA phones. sorry for any confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Meh. My opinion is that better call quality/stability trumps the ability to use the internet while making a call. But since Verizon was apparently testing telephony over Rev. A that's probably what a Verizon iPhone will use for calls instead of 1x.
    that's an interesting point. it will be interesting to see if Verizon's network exposes shortcomings in the iPhone that have always been blamed on AT&T.

I've discovered that I can tell when someone is on an iPhone within the first few minutes of the call. I've started asking them and I haven't been wrong YET. They think I'm being friendly, but I'm really just making small talk and hinting that they are breaking up and should call me from a land line (I'm stationary with 5 bars).

I'm undecided whether the jitter and crappy quality are from AT&T or Apple (or some of each) and I don't think we will know until VZW has the iPhone. Personally, I think we will be surprised at how much of the crappiness is really from the iPhone but has been blamed on AT&T, because my other AT&T callers don't have that issue.

Apple wont have anyone to blame when they are on the best US network. Another reason for them to wait until they can leverage LTE, which will be better in every way and allows them to include a much better radio than in the current AT&T model.

Besides the caller being garbled quite a bit, they also have that digital sound like we all remember from the very first digital handsets from ten years ago. Anyone remember that first Ericcson digital handset? sounded like a synthesized computer voice. The iPhone tends to have that same sound right after it garbles something.
    I didn't say LTE-only, and I clarified that I know it will be LTE+CDMA just as Sprint is selling WiMAX+CDMA phones. sorry for any confusion.
    Keep in mind the CDMA iPhone 4 will probably only have a shelf-life of 6 months. I'd expect Apple's priority to be focused on what Verizon's LTE coverage looks like next summer, rather than catering to select markets over the first half of 2011.
    I think if you are politically savvy enough to become the CEO of the largest wireless carrier in the US then you probably know exactly what to say when for the 500th time someone asks you if you're getting the iPhone. I mean, he must get that question every single day from just about everyone including the guy who cleans his pool. He must have a couple dozen pre-rehearsed good answers to choose from.

When it happens, the message is not going to be "Finally..." but "Yes, we're THAT good..."
    I would have thought so until Mark Hurd started talking about the Palm acquisition, and Steve Jobs started sending rude email to his customers (like the recent "leave us alone" he sent to a poor college student).
    Well if they do end up doing the Rev. A telephony I'd hope Verizon would use some of their influence to at least make it an option to use 1x because otherwise that would be a big deal breaker for anyone that needed call reliability in less than ideal reception areas.
  18.    #18  
    I'm undecided whether the jitter and crappy quality are from AT&T or Apple (or some of each) and I don't think we will know until VZW has the iPhone.
    I have my own theory about that. In general, people will not go to a carrier if they are not in a place that gets good service from that carrier. No one buys a Droid for the love of the phone when they live outside of Verizon territory.

The iPhone is a completely different animal. People go out of their way to get an iPhone regardless of AT&T coverage where they live. If they get any kind of signal, they keep the iPhone. That is why there are so many iPhones that have signal problems. It is neither the iPhone, nor AT&T. It is the customer insisting on having a phone that doesn't work well in their area.

Think about it. Nothing else would explain why so many people are so satisfied with the iPhone, despite the reception problems. They know exactly what they were getting into, and wanted the iPhone anyway. Eventhough they would have received better coverage with something else. It does not indicate a problem with the iPhone, but rather, its popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I have my own theory about that. In general, people will not go to a carrier if they are not in a place that gets good service from that carrier. No one buys a Droid for the love of the phone when they live outside of Verizon territory.

The iPhone is a completely different animal. People go out of their way to get an iPhone regardless of AT&T coverage where they live. If they get any kind of signal, they keep the iPhone. That is why there are so many iPhones that have signal problems. It is neither the iPhone, nor AT&T. It is the customer insisting on having a phone that doesn't work well in their area.

Think about it. Nothing else would explain why so many people are so satisfied with the iPhone, despite the reception problems. They know exactly what they were getting into, and wanted the iPhone anyway. Eventhough they would have received better coverage with something else. It does not indicate a problem with the iPhone, but rather, its popularity.
    You know, I can see this. I can't imagine myself dealing with AT&T's notoriously dreadful service in San Francisco but I can see myself switching from the iPhone 4 even less.
    i also find that the iPhone user isn't aware of the problem, because it sounds fine on their end. they only see a problem if they drop the call or can't get a 3g signal when browsing.

In most cases, the iPhone users I'm talking about are in major cities, telling me they are getting 4 or 5 bars. I'm seeing that iPhone voice quality and occasional garbling is consistent even where they have an excellent signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast