1.    #1  
    With all this information about all the new tablets coming out, I don't think I can take it much longer!
    There is the...

ipad,
    Samsung Android tablet,
    now the BlackBerry (Blackpad)... rim-readies-its-answer-to-ipad: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
    The video of the HP Slate

but almost nothing on a WebOS slate.

Not that it has to come out this month or anything but SOME kind of announcement would be nice. I hate being last to the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    but almost nothing on a WebOS slate.
    This should speak volumes to you regarding the current state of future webOS products.
    It's already been confirmed in the first half of next year. Just settle down.
  4.    #4  
    That's still pretty far away. That's over 6 months, maybe longer. Especially since most of the competition is starting before Christmas when sales jump.

And for a technology junkie thats a VERY long time.
    Go watch the Slate video and then imagine webOS running on that piece of hardware. That's what is coming...

Scaling webOS to the size of a 9 or 10 inch slate is not something that can be done overnight. In reality, HP has only owned Palm for less than 3 mos. You can't just snap your fingers and make it happen.

HP has said a webOS tablet in early 2011. If that happens in Jan or Feb, consider it a gift that they were able to get it out in 7 or 8 mos after purchase of Palm.

Now if you want to whine about phone HW, I'd be right beside you. But face it, while Palm was independent, they did not have the resources to mock up a tablet form factor. Now that they're a part of HP, it's happening very quickly. You think Apple was able to pull off the iPad in 7 or 8 mos? Not a chance. But when HP does it, everyone will cry they're late to the game.

Right now, phone HW is more important than tablets anyway. I don't see someone buying a webOS tablet if they don't already have a webOS phone. The phone will drive the tablet business, not the other way around.
  6.    #6  
    I'd prefer a new phone myself.
    But I think Palm was thinking about a tablet before HP purchased them. Maybe they weren't far along or maybe a prototype but I imagine there was something going on behind closed doors. Now HP wanted to start from scratch but I but there was some basic designs and process already started that they could build upon.
    Thinking about it? Sure
    Implementing or prototyping? Doubt it...

They were bleeding money everywhere, asking for more loans from the Elevation Partners, etc. It was all they could do to keep the thing afloat until HP bought them out.

Even still, if they did have some basic designs, getting a tablet out in 7 or 8 mos is an impressive for a tech company, even one the size of HP.
    While I hope you're wrong, I see your point.

But Sood has said he's already seen and played with 2.0. Do you think 2.0 was designed solely for a tablet? Or just another upgrade for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+? I don't think so. There HAS to be new hardware in the works.

If they throw all their eggs in the tablet form factor, it won't work. People know Palm from phones and PDA's. They need to get people into phones that are subsidized and cost $200 or less and then convert them to the tablet, which will cost closer to $500. It won't work the other way around. And if they give up on the phones altogether, who would buy into the tablet-only ecosystem?

At this point, phones and tablets go together. No one is buying Android phones and iPads. No one will buy an Android phone or an iPhone and a PalmPad. The point is to get people to buy into an ecosystem first, then sell them hardware (either phones or tablets or printers, or whatever). That way when you buy apps, you're able to use them on different form factors. Buying hardware using different OS's means you have to purchase apps twice, and your hardware is not synergized.
    I believe some of the anxiety about the webOS tablet has to do with the first two HP efforts in that space. Android-based Zeen, strike one. Widows-based Slate, from what we have seen, a BIG strike two. Now up to bat, PalmPad. We are seeing HP's current ideas about tablet computing, and they stink. It is only natural to be uneasy about what they are doing to that perfect webOS tablet unicorn everyone has dreamed up.