Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Since I work for a Fortune 500 company that uses tablets this is definitely something we would be interested in. Remember HP said this is for the enterprise and not consumers.

What I am looking at is the form factor. I am wondering if the PalmPad will be similar. It falls right between the 7" Galaxy Tab and the 10" iPad.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Chad over at TiPB has chimed in on the Slate, as he works in the enterprise and has had some hands on as well.

The thing that caught my attention was the fact that the unit gets hot with use. Any heat from a product that is meant to be held in use is unacceptable.

As for this being a prototype, did any of you notice the packaging? It is very detailed and looks pretty complete to me. I have not heard of prototypes getting such elaborate packaging. My guess is we are looking at something much closer to complete than some want to admit.

This is full-blooded Windows on an underpowered machine, in a form-factor not designed for the OS. It has the look and finnish of every other HP/MS product. What exactly are some of you expecting to radically change over the next few weeks? HP will still be HP. Windows will still be Windows running on something for which it was never intended.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 09/25/2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added a link
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Actually, the dpi change affects everything and not just the icons. Text, buttons, and menus are all affected and thus increased in size. HP (and other vendors) should just set a larger dpi by default...
    Ok, I think I'm not explaining myself correctly on this. The DPI thing is fine. It makes it "look better". I've done the same on sub-par laptops I've used in the past. Again, the size difference when you change the DPI can go a long ways in helping.

It does not, by itself, correct the pointer-centric UI. Just making things bigger is not the solution. The UI is simply not finger friendly. The kind of difference I'm talking about is what you see when you compare the UI of Windows Media Center (the actual media center program) or TiVo with that of windows itself. They could both work for watching TV, movies, etc, but the flow of the UI in media center (and TiVo) lends itself to a non pointer-centric interaction than windows itself. There are no scrolling menus, no long drill-downs, etc. The UI just seems better designed for how one would interact with it with a remote control and from a distance. With a tablet, there is a certain experience that I'm looking for and I don't think it can be easily achieved by slapping a desktop/laptop OS on a mobile device and simply making things "bigger".

Perhaps "finger friendly" is the wrong term since it causes the thought of icon size to come to the forefront. Or maybe I've just had too many years dealing with user interfaces and I'm reading too much into this. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Ok, I think I'm not explaining myself correctly on this. The DPI thing is fine. It makes it "look better". I've done the same on sub-par laptops I've used in the past. Again, the size difference when you change the DPI can go a long ways in helping.

It does not, by itself, correct the pointer-centric UI. Just making things bigger is not the solution. The UI is simply not finger friendly. The kind of difference I'm talking about is what you see when you compare the UI of Windows Media Center (the actual media center program) or TiVo with that of windows itself. They could both work for watching TV, movies, etc, but the flow of the UI in media center (and TiVo) lends itself to a non pointer-centric interaction than windows itself. There are no scrolling menus, no long drill-downs, etc. The UI just seems better designed for how one would interact with it with a remote control and from a distance. With a tablet, there is a certain experience that I'm looking for and I don't think it can be easily achieved by slapping a desktop/laptop OS on a mobile device and simply making things "bigger".

Perhaps "finger friendly" is the wrong term since it causes the thought of icon size to come to the forefront. Or maybe I've just had too many years dealing with user interfaces and I'm reading too much into this. :-/
    See my youtube vid a few posts back. At least on the TouchSmart PC, the screen and digitizer combo is "spot on" (pun intended) and I had ZERO problems nav'ing around Win7. It was so awesome I damn near convinced myself to pull the trigger on it! lol

Admittedly though, webOS and iOS Win7 is certainly not and you know your on a desktop OS (there's no "swiping but "dragging" works fairly well), but from a hw capability\usage standpoint, if said screen and digitizer is used on the Slate, no problems will be had. (dpi increase being the two-point conversion on the experience)

Also keeping in mind this was my first interaction and didn't even use the tutorial to get all the "gestures" down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The thing that caught my attention was the fact that the unit gets hot with use. Any heat from a product that is meant to be held in use is unacceptable.
    Just switch hands from time to time. j/k I agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is full-blooded Windows...in a form-factor not designed for the OS.
    That's the point I was trying to make in an earlier post. Well, sort of. I don't mind it being full-blooded Windows, but it needs a user interface that is conducive to tablet use. Chad nails it in his article with the following comment:

Speaking of which, when in Windows 7 mode, it is impossible to do anything on screen as it is still using the mouse metaphor and there is a cursor on the screen; you donít get the ease of use or speediness you get with iOS on iPad.
    (maybe not "impossible") I understand the new windows mobile platform will allow OEMs to provide their own UIs. I think this is a very good move (even with its potential downside of UI fragmentation across multiple devices) and is recognition that the desktop/laptop UI is simply not the best choice for a mobile device.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    See my youtube vid a few posts back. At least on the TouchSmart PC, the screen and digitizer combo is "spot on" (pun intended) and I had ZERO problems nav'ing around Win7. It was so awesome I damn near convinced myself to pull the trigger on it! lol

Admittedly though, webOS and iOS Win7 is certainly not and you know your on a desktop OS (there's no "swiping but "dragging" works fairly well), but from a hw capability\usage standpoint, if said screen and digitizer is used on the Slate, no problems will be had. (dpi increase being the two-point conversion on the experience)

Also keeping in mind this was my first interaction and didn't even use the tutorial to get all the "gestures" down.
    I did check it out. Very nice. I don't think we are debating the same thing however. That vid showed very good reaction to your gestures. Very cool. But my argument is about the UI experience in general on a tablet.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    Let's remember that the HP Slate we have seen on U-tube was a prototype, not a finished product...It appears to me that some of us are in a rush to judgement...I like the look of the HP Slate. I like the USB port, the opportunity for flash, the Skype, the ACD key, etc. I really like the little charging stand with additional USB ports and I didn't get the feeling that the OS was so slow that it bothered me. Also, remember, the person operating the Slate was doing so through a plastic cover. Could that have made a difference to speed, etc?...I come to this forum because I like Palm products and I have no problem with HP products either. In fact I have over 15 HP printers and at least 5 HP computers in my office. It appears to me that some who come to this forum do not appear to find anything good to say about either Palm or HP. If Apple products are what turn you on. Then go for it. As I said before, these are my feelings. Deal with it.
    I have a Mac Notebook, & Desktop, but I have the Pre for a phone. I love my original Sprint Pre phone & the OS. I had major troubles w/customer service when I had a PC so I gave Mac a chance. I like it, but am not the clone some of my Apple friends are. If I were, I would never have bought the Pre. However, I want my devices to be the best they can be.

In a previous post, I asked why the scrolling, going page to page, switching from portrait to landscape seemed so "clunky" compared to the competitors on the market. I also asked if we would need to install all the anti virus, firewall protection & anti spy ware on a windows device. Maybe not a big deal to you, but having to deal w/those things, update those things, pay continually for things make my experience less pleasurable. I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday w/my brother--even less tech savvy then me--how to install & set up each of these software programs. It is a hassle & has been a hassle for decades!

For the life of me, I can't figure out why these little things that make the user experience better, when the technology has been around for years, hasn't been included, fixed, or otherwise made easier for the user.

As for this slate, the user did another video where he took off the protective screen cover. It wasn't any better. I know it is a prototype. I asked if that might be the problem. This is not a Palm/Pre or webOS product & I was simply asking questions. I agree w/most of what you said are positives about this slate. I don't know why you can't have those positives & a better user experience as well. ARE THEY MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?

I am tired of people that tell others to leave the forum or the platform because they don't like what others may say. Especially when 1) that person is simply trying to understand the technology & 2) that person just wants HP/Palm to build the BEST product, not just an average one.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234