Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All I can say is this video provides concrete evidence discrediting all those "HP-and-Palm-never-leak-any-product-info-early" claims like those in the rash of fantasy threads claiming new webOS devices releasing 'soon.'
    Kin was a failed project (with SOME good ideas).

You don't release a project and then kill it in a month if they weren't VERY skeptical of it. THey prob. already spent the money and just said, F it...lets see if it sticks.

Ballmer is merely a mouth piece...I'm sure he just green lights or kills things....never thought he was a smart dude and no idea how he got the CEO spot outside of being Bill's friend.
    Balmer ran Operating System Development for a while. That should tell you a lot about windows issues during that period of his 30 year tenure.
    Not impressed at all. I hope the new phone device doesn't look this retro.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Windows might not be the most natural slate OS but for business folks and many home users it may be the most useful.

It will run my office VPN software
    It will run MS Office
    It will run Firefox/IE/Chrome/Opera
    It will run anything that runs on windows....that's a huge draw and makes it extremely useful.

Additionally it will run thousands and thousands of windows compatible USB devices.

c+a+d button or not it will be the most versatile slate available when it launches.
    Why would you want all that on a tablet form factor? Everything you listed there sounds like a usability nightmare on a touch-based system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Windows might not be the most natural slate OS but for business folks and many home users it may be the most useful.

It will run my office VPN software
    It will run MS Office
    It will run Firefox/IE/Chrome/Opera
    It will run anything that runs on windows....that's a huge draw and makes it extremely useful.

Additionally it will run thousands and thousands of windows compatible USB devices.

c+a+d button or not it will be the most versatile slate available when it launches.

Yep, that's my take too. If the device is reasonably responsive (both the screen and OS speed) and has a good screen resolution it will be superior overall to the iPad right out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why would you want all that on a tablet form factor? Everything you listed there sounds like a usability nightmare on a touch-based system.
    You should read Walt Mossberg's column in the Wall Street Journal today about travelling with an iPad only. It's a very positive story, but notes several failings that the iPad has as a laptop replacement, none of which should apply to this device.

There really are several reasons why a Win7 based Slate makes more sense than a webOS/iOS/Android version. At least for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdanny View Post
    You should read Walt Mossberg's column in the Wall Street Journal today about travelling with an iPad only. It's a very positive story, but notes several failings that the iPad has as a laptop replacement, none of which should apply to this device.

There really are several reasons why a Win7 based Slate makes more sense than a webOS/iOS/Android version. At least for the moment.
    I understand the need for being able to edit documents with a ton of revisions from different editors. I just can't imagine doing it on a dog of a device like this.
    HP should kill this and consider all money spent thus far as 'sunk costs.' Releasing this (even to 'enterprise' customers) can create significant brand damage that even a great PalmPad might not be able to overcome.
    Last edited by Really mobile; 09/23/2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Typos
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    HP should killed this and consider all money spent thus far as 'sunk costs.' Releasing this (even to 'enterprise' customers) can create significant brand damage that even a great PalmPad might not be able to overcome.
    All of the other Enterprise people in the room with me reviewing this device today would argue that this is something that they can use at their companies.

I see some use in our organization as well, not as a desktop/laptop replacement but for certain applications where you need to be mobile.
    I thought HP told Microsoft to "Kiss Off" right before they closed the deal with Palm? Since I know for a fact that to be true, the actual released to the public Slate will not be Windows anything. I promise.
    I could use this at work accessing my desktop's shared folders while not being tied to my desk.
    Sounds good to me... But my company won't spring for it.
    So, I continue to wait for a WebOS tablet so I can compare it to the iPad and Android tablets and buy the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuyTX View Post
    All of the other Enterprise people in the room with me reviewing this device today would argue that this is something that they can use at their companies.

I see some use in our organization as well, not as a desktop/laptop replacement but for certain applications where you need to be mobile.
    I agree that this slate might be of value to some enterprises. But the potential negative spillover on the consumer side does not make it worth it IMHO.
    Well if a WebOS tablet never comes out this would be the one I would buy. Might not be the most optimal as a pure touch tablet, BUT sure the hell beats having to buy a crapple product that is over priced to begin with and then gouge you later for some more. Plus AT&T network, are you serious?!?

WTG HP, now where is the WebOS tablet?

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    i like it...... microsoft knows how to make products for the masses, there is no denying that.
    looks much more promising...though they still haven't figured out the best way to make a tablet that isn't awkward as all heck to hold. My wrist would hurt after a couple of minutes of holding it like that!
    Here is a more detailed video preview of the device. It seems to be an even bigger disaster than at first it appeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i like it...... microsoft knows how to make products for the masses, there is no denying that.
    Microsoft didn't do anything! All HP did was slap Windows 7 on there and call it a day.
    These are the geniuses who hold the future of webOS in their hands. The same people who thought this was a good idea, are responsible for a webOS tablet. They had W7 for a long time, and this is the best they could do. They have had webOS for a few short months. What monstrosity will they inflict on us? May god have mercy on our tech-loving souls. I have a bad feeling about this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast