1.    #1  
    Just curious...

Every time I'm on Engadget and Gizmodo, a lot is made of the 2.0/2.1/2.2 etc updates to Android and the various phones that use each. My question is, why don't all Android phones just automatically get the latest version? I know the most recent webOS update dragged out over months, but in the end all Palm phones got the update. Why are some Android phones still running 2.0 while others get the 'latest and greatest'? Personally, I'd feel cheated if I shelled out hundreds of dollars and don't even have the latest software and might not get it for months...or ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Just curious...

Every time I'm on Engadget and Gizmodo, a lot is made of the 2.0/2.1/2.2 etc updates to Android and the various phones that use each. My question is, why don't all Android phones just automatically get the latest version? I know the most recent webOS update dragged out over months, but in the end all Palm phones got the update. Why are some Android phones still running 2.0 while others get the 'latest and greatest'? Personally, I'd feel cheated if I shelled out hundreds of dollars and don't even have the latest software and might not get it for months...or ever...
    Android is a platform. OEMs make devices with different capabilities (and often with their own "skin" on top of android). So when a new release comes out, the OEMs must take that and apply it to their products. Often times, the products can support it, sometimes that's not the case (for many reasons, old hardware, EOL'd product, etc). It's called fragmentation and is one of the by-products of having an environment that allows virtually unlimited choices in hardware.

The other extreme is iOS, which offers almost zero fragmentation but is much more limited in terms of device choices. Two worlds with pros and cons for each.
    Just curious...

There are 2 models of WebOS phones vs. the large sum of phones made by multiple OEMs with different versions of android (like sense/touchwiz etc.)

If you want quick and fast updates to the latest and greatest from Google, Nexus one is the answer currently.

Will my Evo get an update to gingerbread? No clue....do i really care all that much?

Not really. Its not like my phone will be garbage because its not running past Froyo.
    I know the most recent webOS update dragged out over months,
    This is the answer to your question. Even an OS developed by the only company that makes devices for that OS couldn't, at will, distribute an update to all the phones it built. The carriers have significant control over these kinds of releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Will my Evo get an update to gingerbread? No clue....do i really care all that much?
    A good point. I wonder how many people buy devices like these with any thoughts about future upgrades.

I suspect (just a guess on my part based on the people that I know and have come in contact with) the most don't really care about what will run on the device a year from now. They tend to buy a device based on what it can do "now".
    Pretty much. The forum go'ers care abit because we keep up wiht the stuff. But also forum go-ers are the ones that will be smart enough to root/install ROMs that get you your upgrade haha.

Though if i were stuck on android 1.6 i would hate life.
    So far htc and Sprint has been good about putting out updates quickly to the Evo in fact they put one out yesterday lifting the frame rate cap, multi gmail act sync and Gps fix...I don't know anyone having issues with their Evo Gps I don't have any.
    I have no clue what the GPS issue is but i'm not complaining. FPS fix really makes the scrolling butter smooth now.