Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Ok, so I am considering jumping the WebOS ship until the new hardware and 2.0 come out. My question is which of the 2 sprint android devices better inegrate contacts and sms/mms/chat like the pre does? also with the front camera is it possible to video chat with someone on a computer? Figured I would try to find someone who has actually used all 3 rather than a store salesman... Thanks in advance!!
    They both have "synergy." I think WebOS Synergy works a bit better to be honest with how it automatically links people. At least on the HTC people's app it shows linked suggestions but for the first time you have to link profiles yourself unless they match up heavily before.

But once you do it once it seems to stick (i've rooted my phone so i had my contacts wiped).

On a stock Evo/Epic there isn't an integrated chat/SMS client. I don't know whats in the marketplace though.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks! How about the video chat? Does that work only with other Android handhelds or computer/laptops as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by JBGood View Post
    Thanks! How about the video chat? Does that work only with other Android handhelds or computer/laptops as well?
    Right now its Fring to Fring which is mobile only. And Qik to Qik which is andriod only.

Fring used to work with Skype but they had to remove it.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Well that is a bummer... Would have been nice to see my 3 month old while at work.
    I've owned an Evo now since Google I/O (April 2010) and have had the liberty of playing with the Epic for a few days. My assessment: Evo beats the Epic on all accounts (unless a hardware keyboard is a must have for you). The Sense UI is much better, hardware feels more solid and just an overall better phone IMO.

HTC's Sense UI will give you more Synergy-like features. It syncs Facebook contacts, Twitter contacts, Flickr contacts, etc. to your phone/Google contacts automatically.

If you have the opportunity, try both, even if that means spending a few hours at a local Sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    They both have "synergy." I think WebOS Synergy works a bit better to be honest with how it automatically links people. At least on the HTC people's app it shows linked suggestions but for the first time you have to link profiles yourself unless they match up heavily before.

But once you do it once it seems to stick (i've rooted my phone so i had my contacts wiped).

On a stock Evo/Epic there isn't an integrated chat/SMS client. I don't know whats in the marketplace though.
    Not sure what you mean exactly, but both the Evo and Epic come with an SMS and chat app (Google Talk is the chat app) that are tied to the synergy-like feature(s) on the phone (at least the Evo).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not sure what you mean exactly, but both the Evo and Epic come with an SMS and chat app (Google Talk is the chat app) that are tied to the synergy-like feature(s) on the phone (at least the Evo).
    the OP is talking about Google Talk integrated in the messaging app of the Pre. Its two separate apps on android.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    the OP is talking about Google Talk integrated in the messaging app of the Pre. Its two separate apps on android.
    In regards to this is there a "patch" or a way to use FB chat as well like on the pre?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    What about using Exchange accounts? Can anyone compare their use of corporate email via Exchange in addition to a personal Gmail account on these 3 devices? Pre/EVO/Epic? Does Exchange email/calendar/contacts work well for all 3 of these devices, or does WebOS fare better than Android (HTC Sense or Samsung skins) for a typical heavy business smartphone user?

The other issue for a business user is battery life, which isn't stellar on any of these for heavy business travel use. But they are all nice in so many ways.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    if indeed verizon gets the pre2 before sprint I am going to leave palm. Which of these two would be better for me. My main uses are the phone, social networking with twitter and facebook, light texting, some emails( I have two google accounts and a roadrunner acct). I'm not a business person so basic pim is all I need. Internet browsing is very important to me. So which one should I get.... I'm tech literate, I have preware, patches and overclocked, so I should be able to root android with no problems. Thanks for your help!!
    Whoaaaa.....did i just see pigs fly??

haha from what you wrote, honestly i'd go with Evo. EPic has the edge with 3D games (not saying Evo can't play them, but the Epic has the better GPU).

Other than that, I find the Evo more sturdy since its once piece and HTC sense very appealing. Can't really go wrong with either it seems.
    I have both, and I think you will be happy with both.

I prefer the Evo slightly because HTC Sense is nice, it runs Froyo, the GPS is far better, and there are way more custom ROMs for the Evo.

The Epic however is a great phone as well so you wouldn't be disappointed.

Go to the store, play with both, and decide. You'll be happy with either one.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    if indeed verizon gets the pre2 before sprint I am going to leave palm. Which of these two would be better for me. My main uses are the phone, social networking with twitter and facebook, light texting, some emails( I have two google accounts and a roadrunner acct). I'm not a business person so basic pim is all I need. Internet browsing is very important to me. So which one should I get.... I'm tech literate, I have preware, patches and overclocked, so I should be able to root android with no problems. Thanks for your help!!
    I'm in the same thought, here's what I came up with....

epic
    1. takes better pics and video
    2. has better screen colors
    3. faster

evo
    1. larger screen (duh)
    2. feels sturdy
    3. HTC sense better than wiz

I'm leaning towards the evo based solely on the larger screen (I use the internet alot!).

PS. Keep your eye out on the "best buy free phone fridays" if either phone is being offered I'm all over it!
    Epic has keyboard also.

Don't bet on BB having free Epic of Evo.

They would have masses returning the prior free Friday phones offered so far just to get the Epic or Evo (30 day period return). Not going to happen.
    if indeed Verizon gets the pre2 before sprint I am going to leave palm. Which of these two would be better for me....
    Verizon is getting the Pre 2. We don't know if anyone else will get it. Palm needs the size of Verizon right now to get back up.

As to phones...

If you want a keyboard, get the Epic.

But eventually any moving part stops moving. It was just not the Pre but every sliding keyboard phone will have a higher failure rate than the same model without a keyboard. It's physics.

The EVO is a metal and glass slab. You could use it as a weapon.

I wanted a keyboard until I got the EVO. The problem with the iPhone is that 3.5" is just too small to type accurately. You can rock on a 4.3".

And then there is the SwiftKey keyboard. SwiftKey is even faster than Swype. It predicts your next letters and words. You have natural speech patterns. It learns them. SwiftKey keeps track of how efficient it is in guessing your next words. It is now guessing my next words before I can type them over 30% of the time and climbing. It's spooky.

Every operating system is different. The biggest difference in Android is this. Imagine if Palm had listened to us on hundreds of our Patches and Patch Requests.

It would be unbelievable.

Palm laughed at our patches and requests. Literally laughed when asked at a developer conference if the 6 patches they included were due to the homebrew community. They wanted to be clear that it was not that they were listening to us. They said it was just coincidence.

Guess who does have hundreds of our patches and patch requests?

Android.

When I got the EVO, they they were, patch after patch just like we had always dreamed they would be. I stopped documenting them when I got to about 135. Palm laughed at us. Android did it.

The down-side to having screen after screen of all of those settings is that there is screen after screen of all those settings.

I wrote guides to help new users find their way with webOS and have done it again for Android:

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Any change takes time. Give it time. But there's 100,000 apps and hundreds of features you have been hoping for...

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/17/2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Palm laughed at our patches and requests. Literally laughed when asked at a developer conference if the 6 patches they included were due to the homebrew community. They wanted to be clear that it was not that they were listening to us. They said it was just coincidence.

Android.

When I got the EVO, they they were, patch after patch just like we had always dreamed they would be. I stopped documenting them when I got to about 135. Palm laughed at us. Android did it.

Very interesting. I don't know why manufacturers don't listen to users...

Am glad that Android does...
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Verizon is getting the Pre 2. We don't know if anyone else will get it. Palm needs the size of Verizon right now to get back up.

As to phones...

If you want a keyboard, get the Epic.

But eventually any moving part stops moving. It was just not the Pre but every sliding keyboard phone will have a higher failure rate than the same model without a keyboard. It's physics.

The EVO is a metal and glass slab. You could use it as a weapon.

I wanted a keyboard until I got the EVO. The problem with the iPhone is that 3.5" is just too small to type accurately. You can rock on a 4.3".

And then there is the SwiftKey keyboard. SwiftKey is even faster than Swype. It predicts your next letters and words. You have natural speech patterns. It learns them. SwiftKey keeps track of how efficient it is in guessing your next words. It is now guessing my next words before I can type them over 30% of the time and climbing. It's spooky.

Every operating system is different. The biggest difference in Android is this. Imagine if Palm had listened to us on hundreds of our Patches and Patch Requests.

It would be unbelievable.

Android.

The down-side to having screen after screen of all of those settings is that there is screen after screen of all those settings.

I wrote guides to help new users find their way with webOS and have done it again for Android:

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Any change takes time. Give it time. But there's 100,000 apps and hundreds of features you have been hoping for...

- Craig
    I unfortunately dropped my evo on my crotch the other day and i can confirm, you can use it as a weapon.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    WOW....my eyes must be deceiving me....Hatchettjack actually considering an Android Phone. lol.

I think either phone would suit your needs. I picked up the EVO about two weeks ago and I am throughly impressed. In my opinion, the EVO is an absolute superphone, it does everything the Pre does except faster and without the need for preware and patches. There is a little bit of a learning transition, but once you get it I think you'll enjoy it.

If you're looking for entertainment, the apps available will blow you away. I never had many apps when I had my Pre because there just weren't many in the limited selection that appealed to me. But with the Android Market, I have 37 apps (News, maps, entertainment) and they are all mainstream apps that mostly weren't available to WebOS.

I'm not here to slam Palm or WebOS, but like milominderbinder said, they didn't listen to the demands of their consumers....and Android did/ does. If you get either an EVO or Epic you will start to realize how badly Palm treated their consumers with lack of innovation/ updates and response to its very loyal community.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    milominderbinder: Your links send me to completely unrelated and old Precentral pages... I was excited for a minute at the thought of all the things you described with patches, now im sad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast