1.    #1  
    Well, Anssi Vanjoki is saying so:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/21/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-anssi-vanjoki-says-using-android-is-like-pe/
    Last edited by foosball; 09/21/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Used to work in documentation/tech writing for a division of Nokia a few years back. Bizarre company. Impeccable build quality on their devices, tho.....way above pretty much anyone else on the market.
    Nokia's philosphy has always been hardware first.

I'm sure Skillman will inject some software magic over there for meego.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Used to work in documentation/tech writing for a division of Nokia a few years back. Bizarre company. Impeccable build quality on their devices, tho.....way above pretty much anyone else on the market.
    Care to elaborate on "bizarre"? Anything interesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Care to elaborate on "bizarre"? Anything interesting?
    No scandalous corporate gossip or anything. Just always found their culture unique. Keep in mind, when I was there, the high end device was the E90, and they were looking down their noses at the newly emerging iPhone.

Whoops.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    True or not that is damn funny!!!

Got to love it when CEO's go at each other...eagerly waiting for Eric's response.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No scandalous corporate gossip or anything. Just always found their culture unique. Keep in mind, when I was there, the high end device was the E90, and they were looking down their noses at the newly emerging iPhone.

Whoops.
    Ok. Thanks.
    To try to avoid a firefight, I noted in the title that this is from the Nokia CEO.

Here is a more full quote than Engadget gave:

Nokia Using Android Would Be Like “Pee In Their Pants,” Says Outgoing Smartphone Boss

Nokia's outgoing smartphone boss, Anssi Vanjoki, tells the FT using Android software on Nokia phones would be taking a short solution for a long term problem.

The FT reports he, "likens mobile phone makers that adopt Googles software to Finnish boys who pee in their pants for warmth in the winter. Temporary relief is followed by an even worse predicament."
    Makes me happy I am not Finnish.

Maybe this is just a translation problem like Nokia's signs?

I guess if someone has to connoct poopie it might as well be the Finnish boys.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/21/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I read that article. It's pretty damn funny.
    It was rather amusing. I guess the point is, even though Android is out-selling the iPhone, no single Android phone maker is out-selling the iPhone and making money like Apple.

EDIT: for that matter, Nokia and Palm are not making the money that the Android phone manufacturers are either, much less as much as Apple.
    Apple has always functioned differently and having a high profit margin is one such example. Apple pretty much put AT&T in a cobra clutch with dealing with the iPhone. No other manufacture have that power or mindshare over any carriers.

HTC could make the best phone in the world with perfect construction, flawless OS performance and 3 day battery life and it wouldn't matter. The iPhone is about as ubiquitous as the iPod at this point.

Apple has such a small product line they can focus all their attention on 5 things and make sure they are all marketed and hyped well.