Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #1  
    He sure puts his foot in his mouth quite a lot.

    Steve Jobs to journalism student - "Please leave us alone" | ZDNet
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  2. #2  
    I liked his response. Apple does not owe people explanations, press releases on every subject, or pre-release information. The student's whinny, entitlement approach made me want to slap some sense into her.
  3. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I liked his response. Apple does not owe people explanations, press releases on every subject, or pre-release information. The student's whinny, entitlement approach made me want to slap some sense into her.
    I agree completely, I simply meant that he finds ways to say things in a manner that not only gets his point across, but makes him and Apple seem arrogant. That's all.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  4. #4  
    fake as with others
    I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money.

    Modded Sprint Pre: 3" pulley s/c, i/c, 1.6 rockers, xp cam, slp headers, 3in exhaust, res/cat delete... oh wait wrong forum... ummm pre has lots of mc patches and a xtra mhz, ghtz, and chigglehertz
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I agree completely, I simply meant that he finds ways to say things in a manner that not only gets his point across, but makes him and Apple seem arrogant. That's all.
    I understand why it would seem arrogant. I think a better word would be dismissive. SJ does not suffer fools well. Apple, as a company, does not pander. In an industry where everyone else leaks information, pre-announces, and wants to do anything they can to be noticed, Apple does not work that way. And that confuses and upsets journalists who are used to having access to other companies in ways that Apple does not give.
  6. #6  
    It doesn't seem like she was complaining that apple wouldn't help her get a good grade. It seemed that she was a user with a question, that was being ignored by apple. It just so happened that finding or not finding the answer would effect her grade.

    On a second level, she is a member of the media and was being ignored by apple's media relations team. Once again, it's a poor business practice.

    The underlying issue is that it's a pretty poor business practice for a large company to completly ignore queries.

    Her lust for instant gratification was pretty annoying, but that doesn't excuse SJ's refusal to address her complaint, or his rude response. Clearly she's someone who spend $ on his products and he should show that he values it. Heck, she was trying to do a piece about the greatness of Apple. Instead it resulted in articles that are critical of the company. Sounds counterproductive to me.

    finally, while it isn't apple's direct goal to help people with their grades, they market there products to students by emphasising their usefulness during the academic process. His response seems inconsistent with that.
  7. #7  
    Apple should either ignore the request, handle it, or point to a "we don't talk to students/media" policy.

    Jobs CHOSE to respond; he did not have to, and simply ignoring the student would have ended it.
  8. #8  
    One of Apple's direct goals is to make lots of money selling their stuff to schools and to students. Apparently one of their goals is also to be rude.

    If I were her instructor, I would have given her an A+ because she actually DID get a "comment from apple on higher education" which is essentially "keep sending us money but leave us alone".

    One more reason why Apple is the new Microsoft.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    It doesn't seem like she was complaining that apple wouldn't help her get a good grade. It seemed that she was a user with a question, that was being ignored by apple. It just so happened that finding or not finding the answer would effect her grade.
    If she had a question about a product or service, she should have called tech support, not written SJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    On a second level, she is a member of the media and was being ignored by apple's media relations team. Once again, it's a poor business practice.
    She is not a part of the media. She is a student. In no way is she entitled to a response from Apple's media relations team any more than you are. Poor business practice, you say? Apple has just earned the highest customer satisfaction rating for the seventh year running. They know a thing or two about good business practices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The underlying issue is that it's a pretty poor business practice for a large company to completly ignore queries.
    They don't ignore queries. They have some of the best product support forums of any tech company. Apple reps respond quickly to issues when you access them through the proper channels. Again, this girl is entitled to no more special media access to Apple than you or I.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Her lust for instant gratification was pretty annoying, but that doesn't excuse SJ's refusal to address her complaint, or his rude response. Clearly she's someone who spend $ on his products and he should show that he values it. Heck, she was trying to do a piece about the greatness of Apple. Instead it resulted in articles that are critical of the company. Sounds counterproductive to me.
    I think it does excuse it. The fact that she buys Apple products does not give her special media access. SJ is the CEO. He does not have to talk to her or answer any of her questions and concerns. In what bizzaro world would any reasonable person have that expectation?

    As for her writing a fluff piece, Apple doesn't need it. Perhaps she should have written to Ruby. I'm sure he would have flown her out to headquarters, wined and dined her, and gave her all the access she wanted, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    finally, while it isn't apple's direct goal to help people with their grades, they market there products to students by emphasising their usefulness during the academic process. His response seems inconsistent with that.
    How? Her teacher should have given her a failing grade for thinking she was entitled to access to the CEO of a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company to answer her questions and get 15 minutes of infamy.

    I'm sure Ruby is available. Why don't some of these fame seekers write him? I thought SJ showed a great deal of restraint.
  10. #10  
    A rational guy said it best:
    * If you're asking someone for help, don't call them a hypocrite.
    * Pointing out repeatedly how polite you have been just comes across as whiny, desperate and unprofessional.

    HER tone is the one that is so incredibly arrogant and dripping with self-entitlement.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    One of Apple's direct goals is to make lots of money selling their stuff to schools and to students. Apparently one of their goals is also to be rude.

    If I were her instructor, I would have given her an A+ because she actually DID get a "comment from apple on higher education" which is essentially "keep sending us money but leave us alone".

    One more reason why Apple is the new Microsoft.
    ^^^I like that!
  12. #12  
    Why do you guys care? This is such a non story.
  13. #13  
    Rahul Sood, the new Messiah to many webOS users, has a grossly misattributed post on his weblog titled Bill Gates' 11 Rules Your Kids Did Not & Will Not Learn in School. All of them apply to the young lady who attempted to curry favor from SJ. I think rules #2, #4, and #8 apply here particularly. Many individuals in these forums, some of whom have posted in this thread, should review those rules (actually written by Charles Sykes) themselves.

    Well done Mr. Jobs (if it turns out to be real).
    Last edited by Kupe; 09/22/2010 at 07:12 AM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why do you guys care? This is such a non story.
    why do you care that I care? You should know that I don't care that you care that I care. I bet you even care that I don't care that you think I shouldn't care, but I don't care because I still care.

    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  15. #15  
    You need to get your story straight: either Apple is this marketing and PRPRPR $behemoth$ $that$ $can$ $do$ $no$ $wrong$, $and$ $skillfully$ $manipulates$ $the$ $public$ $through$ $clever$ $ads$, $customer$ $inculcation$ $and$ $customer$ $pandering$, $OR$.

    They are woefully non responsive to customers, ignore their needs, and have bonehead PRPRPR $handlers$.

    I think the only reason this topic exists in P|C is because there is nothing interesting to talk about regarding Palm.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If she had a question about a product or service, she should have called tech support, not written SJ.
    Then SJ, or his people should have pointed her to the right direction. Perhaps the people she called numerous times prior to writing SJ.

    She is not a part of the media. She is a student. In no way is she entitled to a response from Apple's media relations team any more than you are. Poor business practice, you say? Apple has just earned the highest customer satisfaction rating for the seventh year running. They know a thing or two about good business practices.
    writing for a news paper makes her a member of the media. But that's neither here nor there. SJ had an opportunity to be helpful or not respond at all, and he chose something worse than both. And just because apple has a high customer satisfaction rating, doesn't mean that this is an example of a good business practice. You're introducing logical fallacies at this point

    They don't ignore queries. They have some of the best product support forums of any tech company. Apple reps respond quickly to issues when you access them through the proper channels. Again, this girl is entitled to no more special media access to Apple than you or I.
    Again, someone could have pointed her in the right direction if she was taking the wrong channels. Instead it took writing the CEO to get a response, and it wasn't a helpful one.

    I think it does excuse it. The fact that she buys Apple products does not give her special media access. SJ is the CEO. He does not have to talk to her or answer any of her questions and concerns. In what bizzaro world would any reasonable person have that expectation?
    you think rudeness is excusable? No sense in even trying to debate with you I guess. Like I said Steve chose to respond. He could have directed her to the right channel, forwarded her email to the right channel, or answered her question. He chose to be rude. Given the options there is no excuse.

    As for her writing a fluff piece, Apple doesn't need it. Perhaps she should have written to Ruby. I'm sure he would have flown her out to headquarters, wined and dined her, and gave her all the access she wanted, right?
    sure Apple didn't need her piece. But they also don't need tech blogs and potential customers seeing their CEO as a jerk.

    How? Her teacher should have given her a failing grade for thinking she was entitled to access to the CEO of a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company to answer her questions and get 15 minutes of infamy.
    contacting SJ was her last resort. She tried other avenues and was ignored. Had they not been ignoring her, she never would have emailed SJ. How can you assume this is about 15min of fame.

    I'm sure Ruby is available. Why don't some of these fame seekers write him? I thought SJ showed a great deal of restraint.
    what does Ruby have to do with anything? She was writing about apple. She contacted apple. They ignored her on the low end, so she went to the high end.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 09/22/2010 at 11:09 AM.
  17. #17  
    In case their is any confusion as to how the various CEOS are perceived by their employees:
    Mark Hurd Had The Lowest Employee Approval Rating (34%) Of Any Major Tech CEO

    And in case there is any confusion as to how the various tech firms are perceived by their customers:
    ACSI: Apple maintains leads in consumer satisfaction - TechSpot News
  18. #18  
    apple didn't get where they are by behaving like that to their customers. What goes around, comes around. They won't stay on top by behaving that way.

    just ask microsoft.
  19. #19  
    But see, many, in fact most, of Apple's CUSTOMERS (ie. not your average tech gawker, and definitely not people who have an axe to grind with Apple, and even more so, those who believe Apple is somehow evil and manipulative) have excellent experiences as a customer.

    Not only do most consumers not really care that SJ dissed a chick who was (in his opinion) hassling him, those that hear the story think "wow, she was inapprorpriate."

    I think - and I am just opining here - that your disdain for Apple is clouding your perspective. You think everyone analyzes SJ in the same way you do, but in fact, customers simply do not.

    In the same way you are willing to overlook, say, a lapse in service, or a bad dish at your favorite restaurant that is generally very reliable.

    I have been an Apple user for quite a while, and, if anything, their service has gotten increasingly better over the years. Its outstanding, in fact. Its a zoo in there but they give me an appointment, get me in within minutes of the time and are pretty much willing to make whatever I want right, or answer any Q I have.

    While i am sure there are some people with bad experiences, by and large, the customer service is exemplary.
  20. #20  
    I agree with everything you said. Lets hope that the example jobs has been setting lately doesn't trickle down to the point it effects those that provide that service.

    that would be a shame.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions