Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree with everything you said. Lets hope that the example jobs has been setting lately doesn't trickle down to the point it effects those that provide that service.

that would be a shame.
    Or would it? I don't think a company's success hinges on how well it services whiney, self-possessed, self-entitled, college-aged children. It's just not a reliable market segment to plan your growth strategy on.

There have been times in the past where companies (like Sprint) divested themselves of customers who acted much like this. Too many phone complaints, too many phone swaps, too much "free" roaming, too much monopolization of the customer support system. Bad pennies like this are bad for business as they suck up way more resources than they deserve. I, for one, find SJ to be a sleezy snake oil salesman, but he'll go up a few notches in my eyes if this little event turns out to be real.
    if that were the only time jobs had behaved like that, you would be right. There is a pattern emerging.
    I wonder if I could get a comment from him if I asked him when he's planning to move away from that 1990ish era 30-pin connector design to something more modern and based on an "open standard"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I wonder if I could get a comment from him if I asked him when he's planning to move away from that 1990ish era 30-pin connector design to something more modern and based on an "open standard"?
    Ha ha! No kidding! Probably half of the current Nano's dimensions are driven by the housing for that beast. I'm sure the phrase "open standard" in an email will entice Mr. Jobs into a meaningful, collegial discussion!
    if that were the only time jobs had behaved like that, you would be right. There is a pattern emerging.
    You are wildly overestimating the influence of the CEO's manner on the customer's expectations.

It matters to you, because you are looking for reasons for SJ to look silly.

I could care less about SJ, or Mark Hurd, or Jon Rubenstein. Just get me a product that works and support the hell out of it.

Those guys could be prima donnas wearing tutus for all I care.
    just ask microsoft.

And I meant to point out: I have always respected Bill Gates. I think he is a freaking genius that almost singlehanded revolutionized personal computing.

I also think as he has matured into a generous, thoughtful, far sighted guy who Does Good in this world.

That doesn't stop me from HATING Microsoft every time I need to do anything on a crappy PC or call their support. I HATE IT and avoid it if at all possible.
    that's why i mentioned microsoft and not bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    That doesn't stop me from HATING Microsoft every time I need to do anything on a crappy PC or call their support. I HATE IT and avoid it if at all possible.
    I've noticed that crappy PCs tend to be more a function of crappy hardware quality which Microsoft actually has no control over. That or you're using Windows ME. :shudder:
    that's why i mentioned microsoft and not bill.
    I guess I am not following your comparisons...

Either you're saying that Steve Job's affects Apple's reputation with customers (as would Bill Gates', with Microsoft customers).

OR the CEO is not as important as how the company itself handles its customer relations.

Which is your point?
    I think part of his point was that Jobs takes a much more public position in promoting the company to users than what Gates took with Microsoft. You could consider Jobs as part of Apple's PRPRPR $team$, $especially$ $since$ $he$ $gave$ $out$ $his$ $email$ $address$ $for$ $people$ $to$ $contact$ $him$ $freely$ $and$ $directly$.
    balmer has been the force for evil at microsoft for 30 years.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/22/2010 at 09:15 PM.
    Well my hate for Microsoft preceded Balmer.
    So it's one of those irrational hatreds like you see from people against Apple or Google?
    So it's one of those irrational hatreds like you see from people against Apple or Google?
    Irrational? of course, I don't think so.

I just never had a Windows machine that would 1) last (which I realize is a function of OEMs) and 2) I could "figure out" myself, as a non-techy - ahem - older female (40s) who never touched a PC in college.

Even though I spent my first 5 years of personal computing on a PC, I still never got the hang of troubleshooting or navigating it without a tech-y friend around.

So I don't really call it irrational, more my experience. I really grew to hate those customer service calls, being referred to MS, then back to Dell (or HP, or at the time, Compaq) with everyone blaming the other party.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Well my hate for Microsoft preceded Balmer.
    he joined in 1980. Long before windiws. Are you that old?

windows was introduced in 1985.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/22/2010 at 07:05 PM.
    Just think, if you'd started out with an Apple II instead you'd have an irrational hatred of Apple instead of Microsoft.
    apple didn't get where they are by behaving like that to their customers. What goes around, comes around. They won't stay on top by behaving that way.just ask microsoft.
    Apple/Macintosh has always maintained their core business and focus on the education sector. It has never wained and never changed. Unlike Microsoft that went after "big business" and later the personal market. As long as Apple keeps turning out properly QA equipment, they will NEVER suffer the mutiny of Microsoft.
    Unlike MS, Apple maintains control over 90%+ of the production of their equipment and programs. Once Apple allows Dell, Gateway, Sony and every other company out there ready to write a check to take over the build of their products, then you will see them go the way of Microsoft.

Just think, if you'd started out with an Apple II instead you'd have an irrational hatred of Apple instead of Microsoft.
    Started on Apple II in grade school. Once in college moved to PC and stayed there for quite a few years. I recently went back to Mac (Macbook Pro), and have never been happier.

Jobs is a mule (insert J.A.) SO WHAT! His job isn't to make friends and win you over, his job is to ensure his company turns out quality devices that the public wants. I would rather have a computing device that works and the CEO of the company is a *******, than to have to constantly ctrl-alt-del to keep my computer working, but get a warm fuzzy from the CEO.
    he joined in 1980. Long before windiws. Are you that old?

windows was introduced in 1985.
    Yes I am that old (45) but Gates was the CEO until 2000, which was only ten years ago. And yes, my frustrations with MS predated that.
  19. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I wonder if she would have received a different reply had she sent her email to SJ via her iPhone and not her Blackberry.............
    She would have had to send it with her school issued iPad. I'm sure she doesn't actually own an iPhone... >.>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12