Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've never seen such exaggerated descriptions about android as i have seen on Precentral.

My home screen:

Windows 3.1:

I will agreee WebOS and iOS has better UI suggestions (i think iOS you actually HAVE to use it) than android...but to say the apps don't look good is silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Windows 3.1 had a max color depth of 16bit. Android has the same limitation and Windows Mobile also had the same limitation. For such a new Os it seems to be stuck on old technology. WebOS does not have that limitation.
    Are you sure you want to bring up the phrase "for such a new OS it seems to be stuck on old technology" when tossing WebOS around?

If the above color depth is not enough for you and that greatly impedes your needs for a mobile phone than more power to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I've never seen such exaggerated descriptions about android as i have seen on Precentral.
    I don't see an issue with people pointing out flaws in different OSes, but I must agree, I've never seen a more concentrated set of missinformation, ridiculous exaggerations and straight out lies about the competition like I see here in these forums. I think I finally understand why Kupe has the "TruthKeepers" icon in his sig. One would need a badge just to begin to combat the FUD that's being shamelessly spread here.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I don't see an issue with people pointing out flaws in different OSes, but I must agree, I've never seen a more concentrated set of missinformation, ridiculous exaggerations and straight out lies about the competition like I see here in these forums. I think I finally understand why Kupe has the "TruthKeepers" icon in his sig. One would need a badge just to begin to combat the FUD that's being shamelessly spread here.
    Sometimes I don't think the worst offenders even realize they're spreading FUD. There's a tendency around here to find a flaw in a non-Palm product, magnify it, then rally around it without having first, second, or even third-hand experience. That's why the forum tends to get cluttered with claims like "the iPhone 4 can't make calls," "Android needs a task manager to work properly," and "the EVO is unpocketable."
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    What is so old abt webos? Imo the software in webos is so much better than android. The way android handles exchange email and email in general is no where as good as webos. The foundaion is there to make beautiful webos apps. All palm need is th deveopment tools. There are already so many nice things abt webos...gesture area, touchstone,multitasking etc. All it needs now is a powerful hardware to go along with it.

Even android die hard fans can admit that the android ui isn't elgant and polished.
    Yes i can say the UI is more appeasing/consistent on WebOS. However, a lot of members on this forum act as if android is unusable.

And what is old about WebOS is about the many many features/api's it lacks right now. Where is voice recording? Why is the camera so bare bones? The Web Browser needs to be updated badly. If it weren't for the tons and tons of patches people have applied (including myself) i would've dropped my Pre a long time ago. Even the mail app needs work. I'm also a Gmail user so android works for a LOT of my needs. (lets not even bring up google maps).

This is what i mean by WebOS is behind the times. You can knock the polish of android all day but its functionality and things it can do are far beyond what WebOS is up to currently.

EDIT: I didn't even really touch on speed since you mentioned better hardware. But seriously...the speed after a year and whats on the market now is laughable. Yes i had it overclocked but compared to how fast things move on my Evo now it made the Pre feel 3 years old.

I even just underclocked my Evo to 245mhz and i'd say at that speed was similar to what my Pre was. Thats a scary thought on how unrefined WebOS is. Technically, what its built on, it shouldn't need such powerful hardware to run well....the OS is clearly not optimized and just going with better hardware is putting lipstick on an inefficient pig.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 09/21/2010 at 02:20 PM.
    What keeps webOS so simple is that webOS is so simple.

Say Palm suddenly listened to us and put 130 of our top patch requests in as options. That's a lot of setup screens.

Android has done exactly that. 130 of our most requested patches are already built in:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

So for instance, webOS gives you almost no choice about what will be included in Searches. With Android you get 3 screens of options.

So which Search options are easier to set up? webOS with no choice? Or Android with screen after screen of choices?

As much as we complain about the lack of features in webOS, that is what makes webOS so simple.

Does Palm lack the technical expertise to include the code the Homebrew developers have had tested for months?

Or has Palm made the Apple decision that for an average user, the less freedom the better?

Palm has opted to keep all those messy options out.

Also, compare the Pre's that you really have to Android. No, not the one that came out of the box, the one you are really using. How many patches do you have? What Kernel do you run? What Homebrew Apps do you have?

How long would it take to teach a soccer mom to root and patch a Pre? Does she even want to know what Govnah, Kernel, root, scrim, or patch means?

webOS is simple.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Yes i can say the UI is more appeasing/consistent on WebOS. However, a lot of members on this forum act as if android is unusable.

And what is old about WebOS is about the many many features/api's it lacks right now. Where is voice recording? Why is the camera so bare bones? The Web Browser needs to be updated badly. If it weren't for the tons and tons of patches people have applied (including myself) i would've dropped my Pre a long time ago. Even the mail app needs work. I'm also a Gmail user so android works for a LOT of my needs. (lets not even bring up google maps).

This is what i mean by WebOS is behind the times. You can knock the polish of android all day but its functionality and things it can do are far beyond what WebOS is up to currently.

EDIT: I didn't even really touch on speed since you mentioned better hardware. But seriously...the speed after a year and whats on the market now is laughable. Yes i had it overclocked but compared to how fast things move on my Evo now it made the Pre feel 3 years old.

I even just underclocked my Evo to 245mhz and i'd say at that speed was similar to what my Pre was. Thats a scary thought on how unrefined WebOS is. Technically, what its built on, it shouldn't need such powerful hardware to run well....the OS is clearly not optimized and just going with better hardware is putting lipstick on an inefficient pig.
    The Hero I think has a 550mhz processor and that phone can get really slow, lockup and restart.

Android does not have widgets etc provided to the developers like Webos which are provided so the apps have a universal theme and look. Also the universal theme of Android is like a homebrew linux project. Maybe that's how development on the OS started who knows. If it wasn't for Google and the app developers there is no way Android could have succeeded because the OS itself isn't really that good. I swear I can complete my tasks on the slow Palm Pre much faster than the Epic or Evo phones. For eg. if I have two web pages open and the email app open and I want to get some info from a web page to put in my email all I do is swipe the gesture area to go back and forth. With Android I have to press and hold down a home key every time. Also don't talk about the email client(s) that ship with Android. Palm did a really good job with their email app.

What really helped Android was that there wasn't that much competition on the market.
    Last edited by jamex; 09/21/2010 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    The Hero I think has a 550mhz processor and that phone can get really slow, lockup and restart.

Android does not have widgets etc provided to the developers like Webos which are provided so the apps have a universal theme and look. Also the universal theme of Android is like a homebrew linux project. Maybe that's how development on the OS started who knows. If it wasn't for Google and the app developers there is no way Android could have succeeded because the OS itself isn't really that good. I swear I can complete my tasks on the slow Palm Pre much faster than the Epic or Evo phones. For eg. if I have two web pages open and the email app open and I want to get some info from a web page to put in my email all I do is swipe the gesture area to go back and forth. With Android I have to press and hold down a home key every time. Also don't talk about the email client(s) that ship with Android. Palm did a really good job with their email app.

What really helped Android was that there wasn't that much competition on the market.
    And heres another obvious thing....people speak on other platforms and clearly just aren't as familiar on them as their current one.

Yes, you COULD do it that way to get back to your email....but here i'll teach you a trick.

Open your email app and then go to your webpage via the recent apps. Get whatever you need, then all you need to do is press the back button. The back button tracks back through apps as well as a way to get to the home screen. So if you have a path you just did, hitting back will take you back to each previous page no matter what app you were just using.

Additionally....I just said, I have Gmail as my main account and the Gmail app is hands down the best email client for gmail users. I also have an Evo, so there is no stock android email app just the HTC one....evne then, I use K-9 mail only because the HTC stock one doesn't allow me to select multiple emails at one time to erase or mark as read (sound familiar?). But again, there is the beauty of android...if something isn't to your liking, just go get a replacement app. However, stock android is perfectly usable and judging by sales and user satisfaction people like it.

I'm not just a random person sprouting the joys of android either...it has its issue and WebOS does do somethings better. But I am also someone who owned a Pre (well multiple Pres) for over a year and now have had the Evo for a month 1/2 and there is really is not comparison to me on which phone I enjoy using on a day to day basis more.
    I use K-9 mail only because the HTC stock one doesn't allow me to select multiple emails at one time to erase or mark as read (sound familiar?).
    Just a clarification. You can delete multiple emails in the stock het email app.

Menu > Delete > select messages > Delete

No luck on mark multiple as read though.
    Just a clarification. You can delete multiple emails in the stock het email app.

Menu > Delete > select messages > Delete

No luck on mark multiple as read though.
    Oooh nice! Didn't realize. I think i'm a fan of the checkboxes though thats always there. K-9 works well in that regard.
    Oooh nice! Didn't realize. I think i'm a fan of the checkboxes though thats always there. K-9 works well in that regard.
    Agreed. Much more intuitive to select messages and then select an action.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    @jamex: could you clarify what you mean by "Android does not have widgets etc provided to
    the developers like Webos which are provided
    so the apps have a universal theme and look"? Last I checked, Android has widgets, unless you meant something else altogether.
  13.    #33  
    Just to clarify on a couple topics here in this thread:
    It was an honest question about what was so appealling with regards to Android, I might have been a little misinformed about the whole "Lucas" thing, but that's pretty redundant at this point. I was wrong in not verifying what I thought I heard before I made a comment about it. Glad you put it out there how it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let me translate: There's nothing going on in the WebOS world, and other, more successful platforms are sailing past us, so let's take potshots at them to feel better about ourselves.
    Kupe, when I said I didn't know what I was talking about, and you put this little snide remark, as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The truth comes out.
    I'm pretty sure that's why I started the thread, because I didn't know what the big deal with android was, never seen one up close, don't know anybody with one, that's why I asked.

Brain Mantis, I liked your post with all the screenshots, pretty much every theme I've looked at with an Android title, which isn't that many TBH, were pretty mundane, humdrum. Nice to see some of the cool things you can do with your phone......That's what I wanted to see, I didn't care for all the bellyaching about "attacking" other people's phones, that wasn't the intention, although I will say some people took it to those measures.

So with all that being said, I think the thread's dead.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    @jamex: could you clarify what you mean by "Android does not have widgets etc provided to
    the developers like Webos which are provided
    so the apps have a universal theme and look"? Last I checked, Android has widgets, unless you meant something else altogether.
    I think he's referring to Mojo Widgets. The building blocks used when putting together a webOS application. For example, you can use the List widget to display a list of items and this widget can be customized to allow for swiping to delete rows, etc.

This is not to be confused with Android Widgets which can be described, in an overly simplified way, as simple apps that can be placed directly on your home screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have a Pre and an EVO. The Pre theme I developed was the iPhone Black Launcher theme. I think that the Pre and Android icons look like the work of a High School Computer Club. iPhone icons look professional to me. The black background makes it look like the phone flows into the icons.

[CENTER][IMG] _ [IMG]

This was just done with a wallpaper and switching out icons with FolderOrganizer, no rooting. The Bookmarjs, Tools, Media, Multimedia, Productivity, Reference, and Games icons are folders holding 140 apps. 3 taps to any from anywhere.

There are a dozen home replacement apps like aHome, Panda Home, Better Home, etc. that let you do just about anything you want all without rooting. There is more in http://<font color="blue">Getting St... Tricks</font>.

- Craig
    can't stant iphone icons, look ancient to me. Glad I don't have iphone
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I think he's referring to Mojo Widgets. The building blocks used when putting together a webOS application. For example, you can use the List widget to display a list of items and this widget can be customized to allow for swiping to delete rows, etc.

This is not to be confused with Android Widgets which can be described, in an overly simplified way, as simple apps that can be placed directly on your home screens.
    That's exactly what I was referring to
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's why I started the thread, because I didn't know what the big deal with android was, never seen one up close, don't know anybody with one, that's why I asked.
    In your original post in this thread you made three assertions (i.e. not questions):
    - Most Android themes are not appealing
    - Lime green doesn't 'do it for you'
    - the Droid moniker was 'stolen' from Lucas.

Only one of your assertions had a question mark, but it really wasn't a question about Android, because it started off as 'Is it just me or..." In short, "I'm pretty sure that's why [you] started the thread," to stir the pot, not to learn anything. Deep down you may honestly believe you were on a quest for the truth about Android, but that belief never made it to your keyboard. So in your second post in this thread you posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007
    8. never even seen an Android phone up close, so maybe don't even know what I'm talking about
    ...you spoke the truth, which is a good thing. It also completely invalidates the assertions of your first post.
    There is alot of customizing with android. There are a handfull of home launchers if you dont like the current one. Don't like the stock SMS app? there are a couple alternatives you can install... same goes for email.

Rooting brings things to another level with custom ROMs. Say I get the phone setup the way I like it but want to experiment. I can go into recovery and do a nandroid backup which takes a complete snapshot of the current state of the phone. Then I can play around or install another ROM. Want to go back? Simply do a restore. Or make a couple different backups and switch between them when it suits your fancy.

Android is very customizable so its not a one size fits all when it comes to the appearance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12