Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to the CEO of Best Buy, the iPad has HALVED some of their notebook sales. Last I checked, BB was an HP clearing house. For a long time, HP moved boatloads of units at BB because HP owned so much of the shelf space. Now, there's a new sherif in town, and its badge is shaped like an Apple.

Suddenly, the clueless crowds that look to companies like BB, Walmart, and Target for their electronics needs, have been presented with another option... and they like it. When any line of notebook sales can be halved by a single product, the impact is significant. We have moved well beyond the stage when the iPad can be dismissed as an unimportant, niche product. It is now moving the ground under which HP has so comfortably rested for a number of unchallenged years.

This explains why HP seems to be desperate to re-enter the tablet space with something that will be more like an iPad than like anything it has previously produced. They are throwing everything at the wall, regardless of the flavor. Android, Windows, and webOS will all be tried. They have no choice. It also might explain why HP seems much more interested in hyping a webOS tablet than a webOS phone. No wonder Hurd said HP did not buy Palm to get into the smartphone business; HP bought Palm to get into the iPad business.

On a side note, I am now running iOS 4.2 on my iPad. I see no reason why this has not been released to the public. It feels fully baked and definitely enhances the experience. I have said from the beginning that the iPad is not a notebook replacement. I may have been wrong. I have ditched my notebook since getting the iPad and never looked back. The update will make that an even easier decision for many other people. Clearly, I am not alone. This makes the second CEO that has stated that the iPad is cutting into the notebook market.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by dandbj13; 09/17/2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Disagree. A good portion of low-end notebood buyers by them for web, email, and some casual gaming (Yahoo games type) and for those people, iPad is a good fit.

The rest that need to be seriously productive will continue to buy notebooks. The Palmpad will get them closer but the hardcore users will still be using notebooks.

Netbooks may close up shop though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    According to the CEO of Best Buy, the iPad has HALVED some of their notebook sales. Last I checked, BB was an HP clearing house. For a long time, HP moved boatloads of units at BB because HP owned so much of the shelf space. Now, there's a new sherif in town, and its badge is shaped like an Apple.

Suddenly, the clueless crowds that look to companies like BB, Walmart, and Target for their electronics needs, have been presented with another option... and they like it. When any line of notebook sales can be halved by a single product, the impact is significant. We have moved well beyond the stage when the iPad can be dismissed as an unimportant, niche product. It is now moving the ground under which HP has so comfortably rested for a number of unchallenged years.

This explains why HP seems to be desperate to re-enter the tablet space with something that will be more like an iPad than like anything it has previously produced. They are throwing everything at the wall, regardless of the flavor. Android, Windows, and webOS will all be tried. They have no choice. It also might explain why HP seems much more interested in hyping a webOS tablet than a webOS phone. No wonder Hurd said HP did not buy Palm to get into the smartphone business; HP bought Palm to get into the iPad business.

On a side note, I am now running iOS 4.2 on my iPad. I see no reason why this has not been released to the public. It feels fully baked and definitely enhances the experience. I have said from the beginning that the iPad is not a notebook replacement. I may have been wrong. I have ditched my notebook since getting the iPad and never looked back. The update will make that an even easier decision for many other people. Clearly, I am not alone. This makes the second CEO that has stated that the iPad is cutting into the notebook market.

Thoughts?
    I agree that HP and every manufacturer should be worried. There's also this report on notebook/laptop sales in general declining significantly since the iPad release. It's not for me, but to a LOT of people the iPad is computing. There may not be enough customers like me to keep the laptop industry afloat in its current form.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    The rest that need to be seriously productive will continue to buy notebooks. The Palmpad will get them closer but the hardcore users will still be using notebooks.

Netbooks may close up shop though.
    And hoe many notebook owners are hardcore users? My guess, not many. Going after the hardcore notebook user who is also not an Apple notebook user, is a very small niche.
    I think it affected alot of customers like me:

Not sure what to buy, so i'm not buying anything until netbooks get more productive, or laptops go down in power consumption. So I guess I'm waiting fo 22nm laptops. My brothers 32nm was huge step up from the 45nm he use to have, and I can't wait to see how 22nm works. The funny thing, I'm going to be buying an hp either way.

1. webos tablet if it supports waccom pen imput with a good office suit. (student)
    2.tablet pc: By hp sinec it's the cheapest.

iPads are nice, but don't have the content creation i need as a student, and Android has yet to impress me.
    Ipads are not PCs. They are media use devices, specifically designed to suck the money out of thier users with an addtional wireless connection, and media usage license fees.

Once the general public sees this, and realize that they cant run thier Word, Excel, Paint, CAD and other software on them, they will be buying laptop computers again, and dumping their iPads into their "less used" drawer.

Unless the iPads can increase thier hardware profile and software OS capabilites to become real computers, kinda like the HP Win7 PC touchscreens already out in the wild!!

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    iPads are nice, but don't have the content creation i need as a student, and Android has yet to impress me.
    That's interesting. Plenty of schools and universities already disagree with you, as they are starting to provide students with iPads instead of laptops. The iPad is plenty productive.
  8.    #8  
    LC, first, you assume that people don't know what they are buying when they buy an iPad. You act if they think they are buying a quad core desktop and are shocked to get home and discover that is is an iPad.

Second, the iPad does not need to become more like the failed Win slate garbage that has gone before. Those have been available for a very long time, and people keep rejecting them. That is why HP I'd trying to make something that is more like the iPad.

By the way, wasn't AutoCAD just announced for the Mac and iOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Once the general public sees this, and realize that they cant run thier Word, Excel, Paint, CAD and other software on them, they will be buying laptop computers again, and dumping their iPads into their "less used" drawer.
    Odd thing, I am working on an excel spreadsheet right now on my iPad. Yesterday I worked on a Word document. In addition, there are many Paint substitutes on the iPad that are far superior. That leaves CAD software. Bet we see that soon too.
    Ipads are not PCs. They are media use devices, specifically designed to suck the money out of thier users with an addtional wireless connection, and media usage license fees.

Unless the iPads can increase thier hardware profile and software OS capabilites to become real computers, kinda like the HP Win7 PC touchscreens already out in the wild!!

IMO, of course.
    I believe AutoCad is now available for the iPad....iPad Gets AutoCAD Along With Mac - PCWorld

other creation software will follow over time - why not?
    As an iPad user, I can say that there are some great things about it, and there is good software out there to do very productive things, including paint, word, etc. But I carry it in addition to my laptop and any time I am without the laptop I miss some capability, but the only thing I miss when I only have my laptop is the extra weight.

[]
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    My goodness, lots or replies. Nice!

First, I dont assume anything untidyguy. I dont have an insight to every househlold, or user.

What I do have is an insight to what people, consumers, need from their computing devices.

The iPad is fragmenting that with another limited device, that does "some" things, but not all things, and is much more expensive than the alternative. A laptop uses a wireless connection to an already established internet connection, softare already purchased, and had 5xmore processing power, typically, than an iPad, which costs as much, or more.

If consumers choose the iPad over notebooks, Id be VERY surprised - its more likely that enterprise will adapt the iPad and tablets for field work in the medical, construction and retail sectors, where it iwll be a dedicated device to do ONE thing at a time, well, with some sort of network connection.

But, consumers certainly DO have thier own mind, thats for sure.

Regarding CAD on the iPad - I venture to say, without hesitation that Autocad, a $3795 (barebones) CAD softare program for PC, when finally complied for use on the iPad, will be at best, a limited feature version, more used for editing existing documents, AND, if those documents are LARGE, or complex, heaven help you in getting around in it.

Creating standard construciton/working drawings on anything less than a 21" monitor is an exerceise in futility, with more zooming in and out and waiting for screen redraws. CAD requires intensive CPU power to work with any decent response rate - dont even think that this would replace even a notebook computer with AutCAD loaded on it - not a chance.

Related to the above, it is very important to understand that these programs bog down powerfulm true miltitasking PC's (including MAC's), with much higher RAM, and CPU power under standard every day use - this is a fact, so this limited power, keyboardless, small screen and low resolution device can, in no way, serve as a primary or even secondary CAD device. To think it will is a dream by those who are about to awaken from a nightmare, once they try it!

I will say it again:

Ipads are not PCs. They are media use devices, specifically designed to suck the money out of thier users with an additional wireless connection, and media usage license fees.

Those who think to the contrary are buying into the hype, and likely are on a path to waste lots of money and time in that pursuit.

Last edited by LCGuy; 09/17/2010 at 11:57 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LCGuy, it just kills ya, doesn't it? All this good news for the iPad segment, and the rush by other companies to compete in that (new) space??
    It all depends on you usage. I carry both my laptop and my iPad usually (though last business trip I just carried my iPad).

However, I recently replaced my mothers desktop with an iPad. She found the computer to be too complicated and therefore she never used it. She uses her iPad to browse, email, ebooks, and light games. She is very happy. I think there is a large population who only use computers to do similar things.
    finngirl;

Nah, not at all.

I like commercial success, and I admire it; in fact, I have seen products successful that truly surprised me because they were irrational, but, "cute" devices.

My posts above are based on factual information, experience (first hand) and logic, however, Im the first to admit that we americans can be really fickly and easy to manipulate with a good marketting campaign - AOL did it for MANY years - to date, there are STILL people on AOL who think that the AOL screen they get when they double click the AOL icon on theirr desktop is what the internet looks like. Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    It all depends on you usage. I carry both my laptop and my iPad usually (though last business trip I just carried my iPad).

However, I recently replaced my mothers desktop with an iPad. She found the computer to be too complicated and therefore she never used it. She uses her iPad to browse, email, ebooks, and light games. She is very happy. I think there is a large population who only use computers to do similar things.
    Yep,

The ipad may be exactly what many want/need.

I think to generaliize it by saying it can't replace a laptop, and then to say people are only buying it because the hype, isn't realistic.

I think it has a perfect niche that will fit many, many users.
  17.    #17  
    My posts above are based on factual information, experience (first hand) and logic, however, Im the first to admit that we americans can be really fickly and easy to manipulate with a good marketing campaign...
    You see, this is what I'm talking about. You are convinced that the only computing devices that make sense are the ones that make sense to you. Heavens forbid the masses to defy your logic. When they do, your explanation is that they are just stupid, mindless drones who have been brainwashed by the magic Apple marketing machine that could sell ice makers to Eskimos. Those poor lemmings, sheeple, ifad loving fools. They need you to come and take them by the hand and lead them to freedom from the Apple mind-control machine.

Did you once consider that they know exactly what companies like MS and HP have been serving up for years, and they have rejected it? Did you consider that they know exactly what they are getting with an iPad, and they like it? Isn't that at least possible?
    Regarding CAD on the iPad - I venture to say, without hesitation that Autocad, a $3795 (barebones) CAD softare program for PC, when finally complied for use on the iPad, will be at best, a limited feature version, more used for editing existing documents, AND, if those documents are LARGE, or complex, heaven help you in getting around in it.
    The iPad version of AutoCAD is free, so I doubt they would include anything that would make it competitive with the desktop versions. It would be for those who want to take those documents to a job site or presentation.

I've played around with an iPad a few times and I didn't like it. I'd take a netbook with some version of Linux.
    If consumers choose the iPad over notebooks, Id be VERY surprised - its more likely that enterprise will adapt the iPad and tablets for field work in the medical, construction and retail sectors, where it iwll be a dedicated device to do ONE thing at a time, well, with some sort of network connection.
    But they are. The CEO of Best Buy directly attributes the 50% dropoff in notebook sales to the iPad's presence in the same space.

The interesting thing is Apple's 3Q results reports a 33% unit increase in Mac sales. If Apple's claim that the majority of Macs they sell are notebooks, it would definitely appear that the iPad's "cannibalization" of the notebook market is coming entirely at the expense of their competitors.
    Are they lumping traditional notebooks and netbooks together for these sales comparisons?
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast