Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    As much as I LOVE webOS, I just don't see me switching from my iPad to a webOS tablet/pad/slate or whatever the hell they finally call the thing. I'll be all over the new Palm phones, but they're never gonna touch the iPad no matter how hard they try.
    iPad can't replace any laptop that cost $2k+. However, I will take iPad over any substandard Laptop like netbook or anything that very underpower which usually cost like $400 to $600 ish. So iPad definately can replace any laptop can cost around same money as iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    iPad can't replace any laptop that cost $2k+. However, I will take iPad over any substandard Laptop like netbook or anything that very underpower which usually cost like $400 to $600 ish. So iPad definately can replace any laptop can cost around same money as iPad.
    That makes no sense..
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Care to share what you bought for "half the money"?
    HP Mini 311 11.6-incher with 160GB HD, 2GB of RAM, and Win 7 Premium (not "starter").

Streams Hulu just fine, lets my wife cue up multiple YouTube videos, her Gmail, and search for pet and kid-related stuff simultaneously on one screen, and lets me fiddle around with music production on the go with way more robust programs + plugins than iPad. Oh, and we have Chrome for her and all her setups, and Firefox Beta 4 for me and mine.

Instant-on. Bigger screen than iPad, but superlight. Better resolution so we don't have to scroll on websites as much. More memory so we can do much more without reloading Safari windows.

Not to say that I am anti-tablet. They just haven't made one yet that would make sense for me to buy. You show me one that can beat that HP DM1z and we can talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    =
    I have spoken to about 50 people in the NYC area over the past few months regarding this, and all of them see no reason to buy an iPad or substitute thier laptop computer for one; and, in fact, several of them have indicated that they see it as a device that is specifically designed to suck money out of their pockets via the extra charges for internete access and app purchases, when they already have that on thier PC/Apple computers.
    I'm in the NYC area, give me the names of those 50 people, I want to see for myself. Names or it didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    HP Mini 311 11.6-incher with 160GB HD, 2GB of RAM, and Win 7 Premium (not "starter").

Streams Hulu just fine, lets my wife cue up multiple YouTube videos, her Gmail, and search for pet and kid-related stuff simultaneously on one screen, and lets me fiddle around with music production on the go with way more robust programs + plugins than iPad. Oh, and we have Chrome for her and all her setups, and Firefox Beta 4 for me and mine.

Instant-on. Bigger screen than iPad, but superlight. Better resolution so we don't have to scroll on websites as much. More memory so we can do much more without reloading Safari windows.

Not to say that I am anti-tablet. They just haven't made one yet that would make sense for me to buy. You show me one that can beat that HP DM1z and we can talk.
    Hey mikah912, since you're into music production check out this iPad only site about music apps and tell us what you think. I have no idea if these apps have any value, but you may find it interesting: ProMusic Apps
  7.    #167  
    It is obvious HP feared the iPad, as they have rushed out an announcement to let the world know they made one too. I say rushed, because it is nowhere near the final stage of readiness. It is pre-beta, at best. It was important enough so that they found it necessary to break their highly publicized promise not to announce things that were not ready. Fearing the pad train was leaving the station without them, again, they rushed out an announcement and a prototype.

From the appearance, size, and weight of the device, they clearly took their cues from the iPad as opposed to the Slate, JooJoo, Gtab, or Augen.
    Just left BB today. The adults were looking at laptops. The kids were hogging the iPads. I think most people don't need a laptop. They just don't know it yet. Most can't touch-type worth crap and outside of needing access to MS Office files, they don't need a PC or Mac software outside of a desktop.

Apple's closed system will get challenged in the tablet form factor, the tablet itself will be a huge success and demonstrate how few people really need a laptop with the same OS and programs as a desktop.

As for me, I have a laptop as my main work computer. Anything stronger than embedding video in powerpoint is beyond my use cases at work. At home I need better hardware for video-editing, but other than this and those hardcore gamers, not sure why more horsepower is need.

Right now the iPad is half the weight of the smallest laptop (not including netbook garbage) and handles 90% of consumption needs. Has better battery life and works with lightweight, transportable, bluetooth keyboards.

Jobs was onto something and I think tablets with keyboard cases will be THE ubiquitous technology of the next 3 years. They may also usher in a return to more diminutive cell phones as the monster screens won't be necessary. A Veer and a TouchPad might better fit most road warriors and office workers than an EVO and a netbook.