Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    No offense taken. It was more a side note to danbj who would love everyone to believe large companies are tossing NOTEbooks away by the truckload in favor of the maxiPad. I was merely stating a large F500 company (mine, #2 in our industry) doesn't have it *anywhere* on the radar, not even watercooler talk.

(And again, "Appleinsider" not really the place I'm looking for unbiased iPad info. )
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

OK, if that link is not worthy, below are some for your reading pleasure.

Again what your company does or talks about around the water cooler is not relevant, it's just one company. The position in the Fortune list is also not relevant, I don't know why that seems so important to you. The company I work for is in the top 20 of the Fortune 100. So what? There is a quote from a book I read that always has me thinking: A job is really a short term solution to a long term problem.

Bloomberg

Fortune

Silicon

ABC: More than half of Fortune 500 companies bought iPads in the first few months of their availability

Forbes

Information week: iPads Hit The Enterprise

American Banker

Financialpost

There is also a Financial Times article on Fortune 500 companies and iDevices, but because of their policy I could not link.

The only device I am banking on beside ipad to make serious inroads in the corp world is a wOS tablet.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/24/2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I will say it again:

Ipads are not PCs. They are media use devices, specifically designed to suck the money out of thier users with an additional wireless connection, and media usage license fees.

Those who think to the contrary are buying into the hype, and likely are on a path to waste lots of money and time in that pursuit.

This is just epic and so my view as well. Very well said. Here here and cheers. Clink!

PS - Since when are managers or CEO/CFOs/CTOs immune to making bone head choices?

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    This is just epic and so my view as well. Very well said. Here here and cheers. Clink!

PS - Since when are managers or CEO/CFOs/CTOs immune to making bone head choices?
    That applies to any of these "tablets" not just ipads.
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Didn't we already SOUNDLY disprove danbj's original story idea?? Why is this thread still here?
    Because of this, and all the other stories I have provided for your reading pleasure. You might want to go back and read the whole thread. It is your view that has been soundly disproven.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    When netbooks first started showing up, a bunch of people raced out to buy one, and while some found them useful, others saw that they were NOT a replacement for a normal laptop. Every now and then, a new product shows up that draws a lot of people for a short amount of time, but then people have returned after finding out that new is not always better.

Now, the idea of a tablet is NOT new, but new technologies have made some ideas show up again and again. The iPad is more of a threat to things like the Amazon Kindle than a real threat to laptops.

Remember, a laptop is really a portable computer, while the iPad and other tablets are good for things like checking web pages and a replacement for a newspaper. For serious work, an on-screen keyboard is not a good replacement for having a physical keyboard you can type on while you are reading what is on the screen.

This also applies to smartphones, where there is a reason why having a physical keyboard has advantages, because you can see the whole screen while you type, rather than having the on-screen keyboard cover what you want to respond to.

Different devices fit different needs, and the tablets are NOT going to kill the laptop market.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    According to the CEO of Best Buy, the iPad has HALVED some of their notebook sales. Last I checked, BB was an HP clearing house. For a long time, HP moved boatloads of units at BB because HP owned so much of the shelf space. Now, there's a new sherif in town, and its badge is shaped like an Apple.

Suddenly, the clueless crowds that look to companies like BB, Walmart, and Target for their electronics needs, have been presented with another option... and they like it. When any line of notebook sales can be halved by a single product, the impact is significant. We have moved well beyond the stage when the iPad can be dismissed as an unimportant, niche product. It is now moving the ground under which HP has so comfortably rested for a number of unchallenged years.

This explains why HP seems to be desperate to re-enter the tablet space with something that will be more like an iPad than like anything it has previously produced. They are throwing everything at the wall, regardless of the flavor. Android, Windows, and webOS will all be tried. They have no choice. It also might explain why HP seems much more interested in hyping a webOS tablet than a webOS phone. No wonder Hurd said HP did not buy Palm to get into the smartphone business; HP bought Palm to get into the iPad business.

On a side note, I am now running iOS 4.2 on my iPad. I see no reason why this has not been released to the public. It feels fully baked and definitely enhances the experience. I have said from the beginning that the iPad is not a notebook replacement. I may have been wrong. I have ditched my notebook since getting the iPad and never looked back. The update will make that an even easier decision for many other people. Clearly, I am not alone. This makes the second CEO that has stated that the iPad is cutting into the notebook market.

Thoughts?
    I think the iPad and other tablets will replace causal internet and game users who use to buy a notebook. But let me ask you, how has the iPad affected notebook sales for Apple? If what you say is true, the Apple should be afraid of the iPad as well. That statement of course is not true, because the people who buy an iPad generally will also have a notebook to go with it. HP should be afraid of Apple, yes, because when someone buys an iPad it will introduce them to a superior OS that and make then want to buy into Apple's products.

Which is what HP wants to be done with them. If you buy a HP tablet, they want you to buy their phones, computers, netbooks -- everything.

Now that there are other players in the tablet game, including one and a half from HP, should they still be very afraid of the iPad? Apparently so.

According to ChangeWave, the iPad will be the corporate pad of choice for enterprise in 2011. Macworld

But wait! There's more! It gets worse!

Read the whole article from Appleinsider, here.

Will someone tell me again why HP released the Slate, and how they are supposed to make headway with the pPad against the iP2? If they are not very afraid by now, their fools.
    The BlackBerry Playbook is going to be making headway here as well. And I don't think they should be afraid unless they don't have any good features that the iPad doesn't have. Then they should be shaking in their boots.
    It is still all about the apps. I was one of those people who ran out and bought a netbook when they first came out. And I am not sorry I did. I rarely take my primary notebook out of the house now because the netbook duplicates the functions and apps sufficiently for mobile use. They both use Windows 7 so I don't have an issues with applications or data portability.

I am watching tablet development closely. But so far, I am not finding replacements for some of my Windows apps in iOS, Android or webOS, for that matter. Until the tablet operating systems show signs of developing the apps I need, I'll be holding off buying one.
  8.    #148  
    I would quit posting if CEOs quit blaming the iPad for their sales problems. It's Balmer's turn.

Microsoft: tablets affected Q4 earnings, netbooks past their peak

Funny him mentioning ultra-portables as one of the culprits. Don't most of those run Windows 7? Er, unless he meant those hot-selling Macbook Airs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    It is still all about the apps. I was one of those people who ran out and bought a netbook when they first came out. And I am not sorry I did. I rarely take my primary notebook out of the house now because the netbook duplicates the functions and apps sufficiently for mobile use. They both use Windows 7 so I don't have an issues with applications or data portability.

I am watching tablet development closely. But so far, I am not finding replacements for some of my Windows apps in iOS, Android or webOS, for that matter. Until the tablet operating systems show signs of developing the apps I need, I'll be holding off buying one.
    Care to share which apps it is that you use that you can't find replacements for?
    Serious industry specific apps perhaps? There's some PC software that simply cannot be made into a portable app, at least not at this time. Unless your "portable" is a netbook or MBA.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Where's lcguy?
    LOL.. I'm here, and, once again, I satnd by my original post: enterpises will find much more appropriate use for the iPad and its compeitors than consumers will (medical and inventory sectors, in particular) - the iPad is NOT a replacement for a PC or even a laptop computer, and those that think it is are in for a huge disappointment.

On the other hand, many people don't need to do anything serious, and just want a portable computing device, and will choose between a tablet or a cheap netbook... and that choice will be made on what they like better.

I have spoken to about 50 people in the NYC area over the past few months regarding this, and all of them see no reason to buy an iPad or substitute thier laptop computer for one; and, in fact, several of them have indicated that they see it as a device that is specifically designed to suck money out of their pockets via the extra charges for internete access and app purchases, when they already have that on thier PC/Apple computers.

I remember someone talking about running AutoCad on an iPad here, and I laughed out loud so loudly I scared both of my cats... that's how bad the overreaction has been to this, but, perhaps, on day, when components are so much more powerful and so much smaller....

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts

I remember someone talking about running AutoCad on an iPad here, and I laughed out loud so loudly I scared both of my cats... that's how bad the overreaction has been to this, but, perhaps, on day, when components are so much more powerful and so much smaller....

Maybe it was the AutoCad people themselves?

Autodesk | AutoCAD WS

Autodesk presents an update for the successful AutoCAD WS mobile app for iPad™, iPhone®, and iPod touch®.
    AutoCAD WS 1.1 includes a more intuitive interface and the ability to view and edit drawings even when offline. In addition you will now
    be able to upload drawings that you receive as email attachments making AutoCAD WS a truly mobile experience.
    To find out more about the improved functionality of AutoCAD WS 1.1, click here to read the tutorial.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Maybe it was the AutoCad people themselves?

Autodesk | AutoCAD WS
    Not maybe, it was actually mentioned and linked to them.

And I still laughed even louder.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LOL.. I'm here, and, once again, I satnd by my original post: enterpises will find much more appropriate use for the iPad and its compeitors than consumers will (medical and inventory sectors, in particular) - the iPad is NOT a replacement for a PC or even a laptop computer, and those that think it is are in for a huge disappointment.

On the other hand, many people don't need to do anything serious, and just want a portable computing device, and will choose between a tablet or a cheap netbook... and that choice will be made on what they like better.

I have spoken to about 50 people in the NYC area over the past few months regarding this, and all of them see no reason to buy an iPad or substitute thier laptop computer for one; and, in fact, several of them have indicated that they see it as a device that is specifically designed to suck money out of their pockets via the extra charges for internete access and app purchases, when they already have that on thier PC/Apple computers.

The iPad has replaced my laptop. It hasn't replaced my desktop but it certainly has replaced my laptop.

I suspect that those "50 individuals" that you spoke with in the NYC area are unfamiliar with the iPad's capabilities and have this misconceived idea of what it's truly capable of.

A lot of people still work with that mentality. "It's just a large iPhone! How can it possibly be remotely capable of what my laptop is capable of?" It happens all the time, until they actually use one or see one used.

I'm currently taking classes for my Masters in Computer Science; in my algorithms class almost everyone has a laptop or a netbook for taking notes and working with examples. The first day I brought in my iPad with the bluetooth keyboard people were shocked and amazed. I had questions left and right and even claims of "I didn't know you could do that!"

Long story short, a well informed buyer these days will most likely choose the iPad or other capable tablet over a netbook.
    I would quit posting if CEOs quit blaming the iPad for their sales problems. It's Balmer's turn.

Microsoft: tablets affected Q4 earni...ast their peak

Funny him mentioning ultra-portables as one of the culprits. Don't most of those run Windows 7? Er, unless he meant those hot-selling Macbook Airs.
    I think someone needs some better specs?? Haven't we been saying all along that NETbooks are being affected by maxiPad?? Read the title to that MS article you linked. That's an N-E-T there, not NOTE.

I think you should peep that chart by Untidyguy...who's in the #1 spot?? And ol' Apple FELL from 3rd to 5th.

Yes, we concede iPad is hurting N-E-T-book sales. (those are the little Atom based ones, not the Core-I5 beasties )
    The next wave of tablets are going to have dual core CPUs and better graphic chips. As tablets mature you will see more and more apps making the jump. The keyboard issue is easily solved. I was just at MacWorld today and saw tons of different docks and cases with keyboards built-in. This modular aspect of the iPad is a strength IMO.

There is no reason a tablet can't replace a laptop or even a desktop for the majority of consumers in the future. The iPad also makes an incredible thin client which is great for enterprise users as well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Long story short, a well informed buyer these days will most likely choose the iPad or other capable tablet over a netbook.
    I didn't. I spent half the money and got way more capabilities that I care about with a netbook. But that's my needs. If I had to buy again today, I'd still buy HP's DM1z over an iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The iPad has replaced my laptop. It hasn't replaced my desktop but it certainly has replaced my laptop.

I suspect that those "50 individuals" that you spoke with in the NYC area are unfamiliar with the iPad's capabilities and have this misconceived idea of what it's truly capable of.

A lot of people still work with that mentality. "It's just a large iPhone! How can it possibly be remotely capable of what my laptop is capable of?" It happens all the time, until they actually use one or see one used.

I'm currently taking classes for my Masters in Computer Science; in my algorithms class almost everyone has a laptop or a netbook for taking notes and working with examples. The first day I brought in my iPad with the bluetooth keyboard people were shocked and amazed. I had questions left and right and even claims of "I didn't know you could do that!"

Well, I have tested an iPad, and there is NO way it could ever replace my laptop - they are worlds apart in capabilites and power. That reminds me, Im due for a laptop upgrade.. LOL

I can see using an iPad to tote with you to a class, but, taking a computer to class was never a requirement.. so what's the advantage? Most classes, if computing is necessary, will have their own workstations.

But, again, why buy a device that has such limited functionality if you need more, eventually? For portability? I guess for some, that might make sense, but thats an awful expensive choice to make, especially when you can buy a smartphone today that can do pretty much everything the tablet can, albeit in a smaller screen, and there are many smartphones now with 4.3" screens, making them much more utilizable for these conditions.

As I said, I do believe that there are viable tablet uses in business, but for the average consumer, its just a toy, and an expensive one, at that - but in all fairness, I feel the same way about a "netbook" - to me, they are one in the same - neither comparable to a full powered laptop notebook, in thier current hardware and software configurations.

Oh, and the 50+ people I spoke to were mostly Mac and iPhone users, just FYI... Those few (there were 2, that I recall of more than 55 that I listed for myself) that did buy one and kept it have found that they use it much less than they anticipated they would.. I don't know if thats because they really didnt need it, or, if its just SO efficient that they need to use it less.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I didn't. I spent half the money and got way more capabilities that I care about with a netbook. But that's my needs. If I had to buy again today, I'd still buy HP's DM1z over an iPad.
    Care to share what you bought for "half the money"?
    Well, I have tested an iPad, and there is NO way it could ever replace my laptop - they are worlds apart in capabilites and power. That reminds me, Im due for a laptop upgrade.. LOL

I can see using an iPad to tote with you to a class, but, taking a computer to class was never a requirement.. so what's the advantage? Most classes, if computing is necessary, will have their own workstations.

But, again, why buy a device that has such limited functionality if you need more, eventually? For portability? I guess for some, that might make sense, but thats an awful expensive choice to make, especially when you can buy a smartphone today that can do pretty much everything the tablet can, albeit in a smaller screen, and there are many smartphones now with 4.3" screens, making them much more utilizable for these conditions.

As I said, I do believe that there are viable tablet uses in business, but for the average consumer, its just a toy, and an expensive one, at that - but in all fairness, I feel the same way about a "netbook" - to me, they are one in the same - neither comparable to a full powered laptop notebook, in thier current hardware and software configurations.

Oh, and the 50+ people I spoke to were mostly Mac and iPhone users, just FYI... Those few (there were 2, that I recall of more than 55 that I listed for myself) that did buy one and kept it have found that they use it much less than they anticipated they would.. I don't know if thats because they really didnt need it, or, if its just SO efficient that they need to use it less.

I'll let you know when I find something that my iPad isn't capable of doing that my laptop was capable of. Until then, it fits every need that I have, to include writing and compiling code (which many in my class didn't think it was capable of).
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast