Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Starting next month Best Buy will be carrying the iPad in all of its stores and so will Target. WalMart says it hopes to carry the iPad before the end of the year. One of the advantages that HP is looking to for a webOS tablet is its relationship with retail outlets.
    Wal-mart already has the iPad. It doesnt sell much from what ive heard. It is a little expensive for their demographic, I guess. Netbooks sell realy well at Wal-mart.
    If I had to buy a tablet at this time, I would buy a iPad. Luckily, I dont have too. iPads at this point can do games, books and minor computer stuff. I guess if you have a network drive, you could use for more serious work. Tablets will replace netbooks at some point, but are still a long way off from replaceing laptop computers. I tried to buy a iPad last month, but just couldnt bring myself to waste the money. I bought a Dell laptop instead. Loving Win 7. Also, my college does not suport anything Apple, so needed windows to do course work.
  3.    #123  
    MS has officially thrown its hat into the ring for the iPad blame-game sweepstakes. According to Gavriella Schuster, General Manager for Windows product management with Microsoft:

But the success of the Apple iPad, and the impending Google Android tablets, are beginning to threaten Windows’ hold on the “and” PC market. These [Netbooks] are definitely getting cannibalized. These are really a second device. But they are getting cannibalized.
    By "and" device, she means secondary PC. You can read the whole article, here.
    I find it fascinating how Apple's competitors are not only no longer able to deny the impact of the iPad on their core business but they don't even offer the pretense of having something better than the iPad in their pipelines anymore.
  5.    #125  
    At CES, MS tried to preempt the iPad with the Slate announcement. When they actually saw the iPad, they backed off of that. Then, they floated the Courier concept video to distract the market. When they saw that the iPad was more than a passing fad for an insignificant niche, they backed off of that.

Now, they are pretending that the loss of the netbook market is no big deal. I think their hands are full with launching WP7. Perhaps they will revisit their tablet strategy next year. I'm sure they're working on another concept video as we speak.
    As I recall, the Courier videos surfaced months before that CES.
    I am STILL disappointed the Courier project never made it past "concept".
  7.    #127  
    Why should HP be afraid of the iPad? Try reason #317: Gartner, a major analyst firm, is recommending CEO's ensure adoption of the iPad in their companies, or risk getting left behind. Here is a quote from the article:

Noting that chief executives are usually not directly involved in deploying electronics in their company, Gartner this week recommended that CEOs should treat Apple's iPad as an "exception," or risk being left behind.

"It's not usually the role of the CEO to get directly involved in specific device decisions, but Apple's iPad is an exception," said Stephen Prentice, Gartner Fellow and vice president. "It is more than just the latest consumer gadget, and CEOs and business leaders should initiate a dialogue with their CIOs if they have not already done so."

Gartner believes that the iPad will "disrupt" technology use, as well as business models, in the corporate world. It has advised CEOs to ensure that the iPad is being "seriously evaluated" within their company.
    I must say, I never saw this coming, and am not sure how to take this article. Gartner is not recommending tablets to CEOs; they are recommending iPads, specifically. This is not an ambiguous point in the article.

The analyst is predicting a major paradigms shift in how business gets done, and suggests that the iPad is the only mover and shaker worth considering. It is as if he didn't know about the HP Slate, or, more to the point, dismissed it out of hand.

This article reads like an advertisement, and will be viciously panned, I predict. Yet, I can't say I disagree with the conclusions. In any event, when analysts who have the ear of business leaders starts recommending a particular product, and that product is not yours, that is definitely cause for concern.

Thoughts?
  8.    #128  
    Seems like enterprise customers haven't gotten the word on the HP Slate.

There is more evidence that enterprise is quickly adopting the iPad.
  9.    #129  
    The hits just keep coming.

iPad's business use soars as HP backpedals on Slate's fit

It seems not even HP believes the Slate 500 is a good fit for general business use, not to mention consumer use. Here is a snippet from the article:

But although Hewlett-Packard has marketed its Slate 500 on its website as "the ideal PC for professionals who don't usually work at a traditional desk, yet need to stay productive in a secure, familiar Windows environment," HP spokesman Roman Skuratovskiy says the Slate's intended use is far narrower: "The HP Slate 500 is designed to run custom applications created by enterprise customers, unlike HP's business laptops, desktops, etc." (HP declined further comment when asked to clarify that statement.)
    There is no good news in the emerging pad business for HP. They have proven to be just as clueless about how to make an appealing and useful tablet as they always have been, even after having the iPad as a template.

If businesses need to make custom apps to be productive with this thing, that negates the "benefits" of having Windows installed. They can make custom apps for the iPad, and use a product made for the purpose. Businesses seem to be coming to the same conclusion.

The Android printer tablet thingy: strike one. The HP Slate 500: strike 2. The wOS pPad...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The iPad is the reason why HP bought Palm. I don't think smartphones had anything to do with it which is why were not seeing a lot of phone-related chatter from HP.

yes I think you're right -- but ultimately I don't think they ever really knew what they would do, especially with the later change at the top

How much are they prepared to throw behind the webOS pads ?? The new webOS device seems to have seeped out like puss from an infected wound
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Dan, thought you'd like this.

My firm put me in charge of finding ways to improve employee turnover and/or happiness.

Free ipads for everyone. It took some convincing since its a conservative accounting firm and they don't like to just throw money away.

They went for it. It's a great marketing tool for talent. They see it as a benefit. And we might actually get them to use them somewhat for productivity. And they're allowed to run around with them. We plan to give them at the xmas party.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I see a story this morning, that the FT is subbing ipads for it's staff.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I see a story this morning, that the FT is subbing ipads for it's staff.
    I was just about to post that story and ask if cardigan works for the Financial Times.
  14.    #134  
    Now that there are other players in the tablet game, including one and a half from HP, should they still be very afraid of the iPad? Apparently so.

According to ChangeWave, the iPad will be the corporate pad of choice for enterprise in 2011. Macworld

But wait! There's more! It gets worse!

Like in the consumer market, customer satisfaction with the iPad in enterprise is head and shoulders above its peers. iPad users were 69 percent "very satisfied," compared to 23 percent for an HP tablet and 12 percent for Dell.

While current tablet usage sits at 7 percent, the survey found that it is set to double to 14 percent in the next quarter. That indicates that the total number of companies deploying tablets is set to double in the next three months.

And although there are new options on the market like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, companies have indicated they are sticking with the iPad. Of those surveyed, 78 percent said they plan to buy an iPad versus competing tablets. Dell and Research in Motion were tied in a distant second place with 9 percent each.
    Read the whole article from Appleinsider, here.

Will someone tell me again why HP released the Slate, and how they are supposed to make headway with the pPad against the iP2? If they are not very afraid by now, their fools.
    Where's lcguy?
    Didn't we already SOUNDLY disprove danbj's original story idea?? Why is this thread still here?

We already know that the iPad isn't touching NOTEbook sales. In fact I believe HP's sales numbers were UP several billion last quarter. Yes, in lue of a NETbook many people are buying and iPad as a second media consumption device.

However as a side note, my F500 company with over 100,000 companies worldwide, isn't even remotely considering iPad. RIM is supposed to be meeting with us soon regarding the Playbook so take that what you will. (yes, we're a BES shop mostly)
    Clearly a lot has changed in over three months. No ones even trying to refute the latest data
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    snip...
    However as a side note, my F500 company with over 100,000 companies worldwide, isn't even remotely considering iPad. RIM is supposed to be meeting with us soon regarding the Playbook so take that what you will. (yes, we're a BES shop mostly)
    No disrespect to you and your company, but so what? Your company and their business model is just that, one company and one business model. There are a few, Fortune 100 companies, exploring iPad adoption.

Apple says iPhone and iPad are at use in most Fortune 100 companies

Of course the above is no way conclusive proof of the numbers, however a search will show there are companies more and more looking at tablets and ipads.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/23/2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    No disrespect to you and your company, but so what? Your company and their business model is just that, one company and one business model. There are a few, Fortune 100 companies, exploring iPad adoption.

Apple says iPhone and iPad are at use in most Fortune 100 companies

Of course the above is no way conclusive proof of the numbers, however a search will show there are companies more and more looking at tablets and ipads.
    No offense taken. It was more a side note to danbj who would love everyone to believe large companies are tossing NOTEbooks away by the truckload in favor of the maxiPad. I was merely stating a large F500 company (mine, #2 in our industry) doesn't have it *anywhere* on the radar, not even watercooler talk.

(And again, "Appleinsider" not really the place I'm looking for unbiased iPad info. )
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    (And again, "Appleinsider" not really the place I'm looking for unbiased iPad info. )
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast