Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Starting next month Best Buy will be carrying the iPad in all of its stores and so will Target. WalMart says it hopes to carry the iPad before the end of the year. One of the advantages that HP is looking to for a webOS tablet is its relationship with retail outlets.
    Bet HP's number one retail target would be Costco. No iPads, but pleeeenty of HP printers, cartridges and laptops.
    @Mikah, you're right. they'd do well at Costco. They already have a good presence.

@Nicholas, some of us have used Apple products since before the "dark days" and have spent many many years as the underdog. (point: that never mattered to me, by the way)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Starting next month Best Buy will be carrying the iPad in all of its stores and so will Target. WalMart says it hopes to carry the iPad before the end of the year. One of the advantages that HP is looking to for a webOS tablet is its relationship with retail outlets.
    And the webOS tablet will be piled onto the same counter with a bunch of laptops and netbooks while the Apple products will continue to get their own separate, distinctive section/displays.
  4.    #104  
    It looks like those crazy assertions that the iPad is eating into computer sales wash's so crazy after all. Intel has joined the chorus of companies blaming the iPad for softening sales.

It is also interesting to note, that MS is still pouting about the iPad's success. And, you still can't buy a credible competitor in any store, anywhere in the world. All we have are premature, incomplete announcements and renders.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It looks like those crazy assertions that the iPad is eating into computer sales wash's so crazy after all. Intel has joined the chorus of companies blaming the iPad for softening sales.

It is also interesting to note, that MS is still pouting about the iPad's success. And, you still can't buy a credible competitor in any store, anywhere in the world. All we have are premature, incomplete announcements and renders.

Intel's problem is competition from ARM based cpus in any form factor.

Light weight long lived mobile devices have not been going intel's way for some time.

Its a subject I've been writing about for a while.

Intel and M$ are afraid -- and they are right to be.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/of...shes-read.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/ot...m-license.html
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/13/2010 at 11:17 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6.    #106  
    The news just keeps coming. Computerworld has just reported that if iPad sales are counted, Apple is the #1 PC maker in the US. Who still thinks HP has no reason to fear the iPad? Apple is eating HP's lunch, and has already pooped out the remains of Dell. Any company not afraid of the iPad is run by fools.
  7.    #107  
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/15/2010 at 03:16 AM.
    Yeah...

HP = 17% share
    Acer = <11%
    Dell = >10%
    Apple = <10%

Quote Originally Posted by David Neal
    "Mini notebooks, which Gartner thought would take a knock after the release of Apple's iPad, remained fairly buoyant, and accounted for a fifth of the total mobile PC market."

PC shipments rise by a fifth as recession eases - 15 Jul 2010 - Computing

9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Yeah...

HP = 17% share
    Acer = <11%
    Dell = >10%
    Apple = <10%...
    I don't think we're reading the same stuff. The following bit is from one of the links I already listed. Try to keep up.

Including iPad sales, Apple is now the biggest US PC maker. Really? Yes indeed, if you read between the lines of the latest Gartner and IDC PC marketshare data. Even without those sales, the once-declared-dead Apple Inc. has achieved an impressive 10 percent share of the US PC market. IDC has declared the company to be the third-biggest PC maker.
  10.    #110  
    As if HP didn't have enough reasons to worry about the iPad...

AT&T to help Apple sell iPad to businesses small and large

AT&T said Friday that it will market all three of Apple's iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models directly to businesses of all sizes as part of an initiative to help companies increase productivity and flexibility.

The exclusive U.S. iPhone provider said it will offer attractive post-paid mobile broadband price plans for the iPad which will be available through AT&T business account representatives beginning Thursday, October 28.

Those offers will be available for customers whose AT&T wireless bills are paid for by their employer, while the iPads themselves will be available for corporate purchase with a corporate service subscription from AT&T.
    You can click the link for the rest.

The blows are coming fast and furious. This one is going to leave a mark. Apple stock is up $7.35 as of this writing, and it is all about the iPad. Anyone think HP is worried yet.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/15/2010 at 12:19 PM.
    I'm pretty sure HP expected this, hence their drive to get a WebOS tablet out ASAP.

But I think the true battle will take place with carrier-agnostic WiFi tablets. That's going to be where the most growth happens, as I just can't see this market living mostly on contract subscribers who already have a data bill with their smartphone.

Hopefully, HP realizes that too.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But I think the true battle will take place with carrier-agnostic WiFi tablets. That's going to be where the most growth happens, as I just can't see this market living mostly on contract subscribers who already have a data bill with their smartphone.
    I don'know... I almost never leave the house without my iPad. Just looking randomly at one of my pages of apps, I count 14 of 15 that either need, or are enhanced by connectivity. I count 12 out of 15 on the next page over.

The vast majority of apps on my iPad would be useless to me without a connection. I don't think I'm alone in that. Then again, I am an iPhone user. I pity iPt users, as they are not getting anywhere near the full experience without a persistent connection. They just think they are.
    First Apple giving you an exchange nearly brought toy to tears, now "pity"? Man, you have some interesting emotional ties to Apple products.

You should pity someone with a drug problem or an underwater mortgage near foreclosure. Somebody who decided to spend $200 with no contract on an electronic entertainment item instead of $629 with another data bill probably doesn't deserve pity...just sayin....
    I don'know... I almost never leave the house without my iPad. Just looking randomly at one of my pages of apps, I count 14 of 15 that either need, or are enhanced by connectivity. I count 12 out of 15 on the next page over.

The vast majority of apps on my iPad would be useless to me without a connection. I don't think I'm alone in that. Then again, I am an iPhone user. I pity iPt users, as they are not getting anywhere near the full experience without a persistent connection. They just think they are.
    Why would you carry an ipad everywhere if you have an iphone? You run the same apps basically. What's the point?

Then again, if you do so, why not jb your iphone so you can tether your ipad? I pity iphone users who don't jailbreak as they're not getting anywhere near the full experience without it.

You're an unjailbroken iphone user so i understand why you're not familiar with a wifi tethering app. This is why many smartphone users wouldn't need a tablet with its own 3G chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why would you carry an ipad everywhere if you have an iphone? You run the same apps basically. What's the point?

Then again, if you do so, why not jb your iphone so you can tether your ipad? I pity iphone users who don't jailbreak as they're not getting anywhere near the full experience without it.

You're an unjailbroken iphone user so i understand why you're not familiar with a wifi tethering app. This is why many smartphone users wouldn't need a tablet with its own 3G chip.
    I don't carry my iPad everywhere, but the iPhone is far from the interchangeable replacement for the iPad you are making it out to be. Most of the time, the apps are NOT the same.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

That's a whole lot of assumptions for one post. I couldn't possibly know anything about jailbreaking, or the apps and services made available by jailbreaking. Here's a news flash. Not everyone wants to jailbreak for a whole host of reasons. I have jailbroken before. I didn't care for the instabilities or the incompatibility with new updates. And I can afford my data plan, so you don't have to worry about me. Thanks, though.

If you think the apps, and the experience of using them is the same on the iPad and iPhone, you are embarrassingly mistaken. If I have both items with me, I will often use the iPhone to check sports scores, read a text message, or take a phone call. I do not write blog posts, watch video such as TV and movies, or read books and web pages on my iPhone. Things that can be done quickly and without much interaction are fine for the iPhone. For deeper interactions, it's all about the iPad.

As for data plans, do you remember when people only had laptops for portable computing? They either had no connectivity, or you bought a USB, wireless modem with an even more expensive data plan. You make it sound like buying a data plan for a tablet is crazy. That is what people said about cell phones, then laptops, now iPads. It looks like you are on the losing side of history with this one.
  17.    #117  
    I swear I didn't write this article.

Categorizing iPad as PC would make Apple largest US seller

I know, I know, this is not the first article of this kind I have posted in this thread, which is not to say that it does not bear repeating. Including the iPad makes Apple the #1 PC maker in America. That's big news no matter who you root for.

But, the purpose of posting this article is the very last paragraph. Apparently, I am not the only one who thinks that HP should be very afraid of the iPad.

The analyst said that all PC vendors will be impacted by the success of the iPad, but the greatest losses are projected to be experienced by HP, the largest U.S. vendor in the latest IDC figures.
  18.    #118  
    Seems like all the people who tried to beat me down earlier in the post have left for greener pastures.

I keep posting because CEOs keep talking, and blaming the iPad for declines in NOTEBOOKS! At this point, this thread is an ongoing record of all the parts of the industry that have come to the same realization. The iPad is eating their lunch.

The latest industry to lose their lunch to the iPad is the hard drive industry. As reported by Appleinsider:

Western Digital Chief Executive John Coyne told analysts Tuesday during an earnings call that tablet computers such as Apple's iPad are slowing the hard drive business, especially on the low-end. The iPad could cause as much as a 10 to 20 percent reduction in shipments of low-end laptops and netbooks over the next few quarters, Reuters noted Coyne as saying.
    Read the rest of the article, here.
  19.    #119  
    Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales

Last I checked, Sprint doesn't even sell iPads, yet they're touting the iPad as a plus to their bottom line. How amazing is that?
  20.    #120  
    For anyone still keeping score, here is yet another reason why HP should be afraid of the iPad. Business adoption is accelerating.

Here are a few paragraphs to get you started:

“There’s just a lot of excitement about the iPad in business,” said Ted Schadler, an analyst with Forrester Research. “They are jazzed by the fact that it’s not a smartphone, not a laptop, that they just feel good when they get one of these things in their hands.

“In a selling situation, the iPad is simply more intimate than a notebook,” he continued.

Schadler spoke with dozens of companies about their business use of the iPad, and their plans for tablets in general, to get an idea of how enterprises are using the technology now, and how they will use it in the future.

His conclusions: The majority of firms see the iPad succeeding as a replacement for a traditional laptop, but the real impact will come from companies that substitute a tablet for a clipboard and paper, or as a technology tool where none was available previously.