Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Looks like the Best-Buy guy made a mistake - he meant "netbooks". Even more reason to believe the iPad is no threat to HP, and now even further detracts from the point of your original post. Netbooks do not = a laptop/notebook computer. Different market, different product.
    That is a significant correction. Still, I din't think it was half of all notebook sales, as the article said "some" notebooks. These days, netbooks are just low end notebooks. There are other reports, already linked in this thread, which suggest that there is definitely displacement in the notebook industry due to the iPad. HP makes a greed number of those low end notebooks, do they not? Therefore, the topic is still relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Update on the original news via engadget is that it was NETBOOK that took a hit not laptops

Link:iPad has halved laptop sales, claims Best Buy CEO (update: he meant netbooks) -- Engadget
    Darkzone;

Yep, I posted that in my reply to dan a few posts back.

Kinda puts the tenant this thread into a whole new light, doesn't it?

I said what I mean, and meant what I said, and sometimes, I'm even right!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

One also has to take into account that notebooks had huge sales growth last year. Netbook hardware hasn't changed that much where people would see a noticeable difference in upgrading to a new machine. Market saturation and product stagnation would have hurt them even if the iPad was a flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That is a significant correction. Still, I din't think it was half of all notebook sales, as the article said "some" notebooks. These days, netbooks are just low end notebooks. There are other reports, already linked in this thread, which suggest that there is definitely displacement in the notebook industry due to the iPad. HP makes a greed number of those low end notebooks, do they not? Therefore, the topic is still relevant.

Danjb;

Um, its a bit more than a significant correction. Laptop sales for HP are a very big business; netbooks was a small business, comparably - thats a HUGE faux pas he made.

No, I'd say that your original point is pretty much null, for now.

But, to be fair, lets see what happens in a year or two, and how the iPad evolves - IF Apple does have the notebook computer market in its sightlines, then changes to the iPad will reflect hardware and software ubiquity and power, and lets face it, Apple does have a huge loyal/faithful following which could provide some momentum for market success in that direction - thats a huge, HUGE task, though.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The iPad will NOT put HP - Or Dell, Gateway, IBM, Lenovo, Apple (that's right, they make laptops too), Sony, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, etc... - out of business.

To say that any of these companies should be "very afraid" is simply ludicrous.

The iPad is really nothing more than a fancy netbook, thus any iPad sale very likely represents a netbook that's not being sold by another manufacture. Why this is news, or supposed cause for alarm is beyond me.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Yep. I said it in my first reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Disagree. A good portion of low-end notebood buyers by them for web, email, and some casual gaming (Yahoo games type) and for those people, iPad is a good fit.

The rest that need to be seriously productive will continue to buy notebooks. The Palmpad will get them closer but the hardcore users will still be using notebooks.

Netbooks may close up shop though.
    And here's another link on the retraction by the CEO.

Best Buy retreats from iPad cannibalization claim | Circuit Breaker - CNET News
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    The iPad is really nothing more than a fancy netbook, thus any iPad sale very likely represents a netbook that's not being sold by another manufacture. Why this is news, or supposed cause for alarm is beyond me.
    Simple. The consumer does not see or care about the fine distinction between a netbook and a notebook. They just see cheap price. Therefore, it is a somewhat artificial distinction to say that it hurts netbook sales but not cheap notebook sales.

HP sells a lot of cheap notebooks. The iPad most definitely matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Simple. The consumer does not see or care about the fine distinction between a netbook and a notebook. They just see cheap price. Therefore, it is a somewhat artificial distinction to say that it hurts netbook sales but not cheap notebook sales.

HP sells a lot of cheap notebooks. The iPad most definitely matters.
    What??

the first thing ANY consumer is going to ask is "why is this thing called a Netbook so much cheaper than that thing over there that is called a Notebook?".

It is at that point that they will decide on whether it is worth the extra money for the notebook, or, that they don t need the advanced features of the notebook, and will spend much less money for the netbook.

If an iPad is "hurting" netbook sales, according to BestBuyGuy, that has NOTHING to do with notebook sales - your logic isnt logical at all, Im afraid; an association does not necesarily infer a pragmatic conclusion - although, the whole marketting industy would have you think differently .

He made a big verbal booboo, just like Mark Hurd did prior to the Palm acquisition. CEO's tend to do that lots these days - I think its in thier job description!

I think it's funny that the biggest critics of the iPad probably haven't even picked one up, let alone use it for a week. (Not pointing towards you LCGuy)

The truth is the reason the iPad is so popular is that it is so radically different than anything else out there. It's a whole new experience for consumers, and they really like it, a lot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Not all consumers are as thick in the head as you'd like to believe.

Most, if not all, consumers can tell the difference between and $200-$300 NETbook and a $600-$1200 ($1000-$2300 if you have to feed the Apple beast) NOTEbook.

That's much more than a "fine" distinction.

The iPad is fine for what it is, I guess, but I'd still take a halfway decent netbook over it any day for my use. I like a keyboard, I like to watch DVDs, I like to play flash games that I don't have to buy individually, I like to listen to DRM free music, I like load software any way I see fit, I like the screen to be facing me when I'm trying to type, I like to have my screen protected when I put it in my backpack, I like to watch Hulu, I like to upgrade my HDD, I like long walks on the beach, I like having OS options, I like full Office suite access, I like full Photoshop access, I like hardware choice, I like brand choice, I like to use USB Flash drives, I like to use SD cards, I like to back up to an external HDD, I like to use torrents, I like browser choice, I like to play downloaded video on my TV, I like to burn CDs, I like to burn DVDs, I like turtles, I like to convert downloaded video to .3gp and transfer to my Pre via SFTP over WiFi, I like having an ethernet port, I like having a USB port, I like printing, I like having more than one application running and visible at a time, I like unzipping files, I like full file access...
    Not all consumers are as thick in the head as you'd like to believe.

Most, if not all, consumers can tell the difference between and $200-$300 NETbook and a $600-$1200 ($1000-$2300 if you have to feed the Apple beast) NOTEbook.

That's much more than a "fine" distinction.

The iPad is fine for what it is, I guess, but I'd still take a halfway decent netbook over it any day for my use. I like a keyboard, I like to watch DVDs, I like to play flash games that I don't have to buy individually, I like to listen to DRM free music, I like load software any way I see fit, I like the screen to be facing me when I'm trying to type, I like to have my screen protected when I put it in my backpack, I like to watch Hulu, I like to upgrade my HDD, I like long walks on the beach, I like having OS options, I like full Office suite access, I like full Photoshop access, I like hardware choice, I like brand choice, I like to use USB Flash drives, I like to use SD cards, I like to back up to an external HDD, I like to use torrents, I like browser choice, I like to play downloaded video on my TV, I like to burn CDs, I like to burn DVDs, I like turtles, I like to convert downloaded video to .3gp and transfer to my Pre via SFTP over WiFi, I like having an ethernet port, I like having a USB port, I like printing, I like having more than one application running and visible at a time, I like unzipping files, I like full file access...
    I think Tom Merrit on Tech News Today really nailed it when he said that a lot of people who use their laptop as their primary computer couldn't imagine replacing it with an iPad. My laptop is not my primary computer. I have a MacPro desktop as my primary system. Everything else is an extension from that, like my laptop, smartphone! and now my iPad.

For me this iPad will not replace my primary system, but it is a great extension of it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12.    #72  
    Spader, there are plenty of $300 - $600 notebooks. They occupy the same price space as many netbooks.

As for your litany of things you like to do on a computer, who cares! Anyone who likes and needs to do those things, like me, already has a powerful computer, and knows how to use it. This is all about the secondary computer. That does not have to be a clone of the primary computer. That is what the iPad is cutting into.

A secondary computer does not have to do primary tasks well, if at all. A secondary computer has to do secondary tasks well. I would argue that no other secondary computer does those tasks better than the iPad. That is what the market is responding to. Trying to equate the iPad to a primary computer is nothing more than a straw-man meant to change the subject.
    Apart from portability, the most convenient thing about the iPad for me is "instant on" functionality like PDAs of old. This is where Jeff Hawkins had it right about the Foleo but the "industry experts" ridiculed him. It is so convenient to reach for the iPad when you want to look up a website for instance. Netbooks while being portable just aren't so handy.
    The iPad is not perfect and I look forward to better competition, esp webOS powered slates.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Apart from portability, the most convenient thing about the iPad for me is "instant on" functionality like PDAs of old. This is where Jeff Hawkins had it right about the Foleo but the "industry experts" ridiculed him. It is so convenient to reach for the iPad when you want to look up a website for instance. Netbooks while being portable just aren't so handy.
    The iPad is not perfect and I look forward to better competition, esp webOS powered slates.
    Sometimes I look down at my iPad tethered to my Pre and see Jeff's vision. He had the right idea it was just the wrong time.
    The "secondary" tasks I want MOST are to browse the web (the full Web includes Flash, and that ain't changing anytime soon, no matter what is happening with HTML5) and watch DVDs. iPad is fail at both.

Anyway, the point to my post was that the iPad is not going to put ANY of the netbook/notebook manufactures out of business, so there is no need for any of them, and certainly not HP, to be "very afraid".

The day HP goes belly up and the CEO cries "If it weren't for that darn iPad, we'd still be a 100 billion dollar company!" I'll not only buy one, I'll eat it.
    Anyway, the point to my post was that the iPad is not going to put ANY of the netbook/notebook manufactures out of business, so there is no need for any of The day HP goes belly up and the CEO cries "If it weren't for that darn iPad, we'd still be a 100 billion dollar company!" I'll not only buy one, I'll eat it.
    True. This whole thread is basically invalidated anyway since the CEO said netbooks were affected and not even close to 50% worth.

However should Hades drop a few hundred degrees C, we can have "iPad smoothies" since we already know it blends http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/will-it-blend-ipad-edition/
    The "secondary" tasks I want MOST are to browse the web (the full Web includes Flash, and that ain't changing anytime soon, no matter what is happening with HTML5) and watch DVDs. iPad is fail at both.
    No flash really sucks. I'm with you on that one. But as a video device the iPad really shines. I use an app called Air Video to stream my movie library. If I really want to watch a DVD I can stream it via my desktop, but my library is all ripped on my media server.

Even while streaming video the battery life is amazing.
    The iPad is fine for what it is, I guess, but I'd still take a halfway decent netbook over it any day for my use. I like a keyboard, I like to watch DVDs,
    What netbook do you use that has a built-in DVD player?
    Kupe;

Here's one: HP Mini 2140 Netbook - AS820US#ABA

Most don't have them, though - they use SD card readers, instead.

20.    #80  
    I don't know if any of you have read the correction, or just the characterization of the correction. Anyway, you can read it here.

It is a significant correction and makes much more sense as the iPad has only been out for a short time. Yet, it should still scare the daylights out of any company making low-end laptops. Instead of 50%, it might be, at most, 25%, and at minimum, a more reasonable mid-teens.

Make no mistake about it. THAT IS STILL HUGE! A company would have to be crazy to see a 15% cannibalization of an important product line at the hands of ONE product, and not be afraid. I still say that this is why HP is behaving in a desperate and confused manner with regard to tablets. This is why it is so important for everyone to get on board.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the tablet went from a failed niche, to an interesting rumor, to an Apple gamble, to a revived niche, to a runaway fad, to an industry game-changer, to just another inevitable product category which Apple just so happened to have entered with fortunate timing.

With every telling of the tablet story, Apple becomes more and more a bit player with an ever diminishing role. Well, at the risk of sounding like a mindless fan, let me just say with emphasis; THERE IS NO TABLET CATEGORY. THERE IS JUST THE iPad, AND EVERYTHING THAT WISHES IT WAS THE iPad!

This is most definitely a seriously disruptive product in the mobile industry, and only a fool would treat it is otherwise. It will have the same kind of reverberations in the low-end portable space as the iPhone did in the smartphone space. I remember seeing this kind of denial shortly after the iPhone was released, and we all know how that turned out.

The difference is this time, copies, knock-offs, and wannabes are coming out much sooner so as to not be left behind or run over by the iPad train. The industry is most definitely taking it seriously. HP is, and so should everyone else who cares about HP and their subsidiaries.