Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 168
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    It has limited storage and no expansion capabilities. And it costs more than a decent laptop, currently.
    This snippet is representative of your litany of reasons why an iPad can't replace a notebook. The only thing wrong with your argument is the inconvenient fact that it is successfully replacing notebooks for millions of people. Whatever reason you think it can't be done must fall to the simple fact that it is being done. Let me give you a few reasons why:

    1. The average person has always owned more tech than was needed or utilized. When PC's first came out, all people did with them was use them as glorified typewriters. Notebooks became popular, but most people never unplugged them and moved them from the desk. Even now, our computing devices are largely unchallenged by our uses.

    The iPad is finally a device that scales nicely to accommodate what people actually do on a portable computing device. Can it do AutoCAD? Who cares! Can it run the dozens of programs purchased from the bargain bin of a big box retailer? Who cares! Can it correctly calculate the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? Who cares! Apparently, the average consumer doesn't.

    2. The average person generally needs someone's help to set up, use, and maintain their traditional computers. People are still afraid of the technology, and certainly do not understand it. The iPad, for many, is the first computing device they can figure out all by themselves. This type of device completely disintermediates the "geek squad". Suddenly, the people who used to need you to help them with their technology decisions, don't.

    3. The price is right. The simple truth about price is that if it is too high, the masses will not voluntarily buy it. People do not typically buy things that provide no value to them. The iPad provides a great deal of value for the money. This is evident by the fact that the GTab, at half the size, cost even more than the iPad, and Samsung didn't have to develop an OS.

    Apple floored the industry when they revealed the price of the iPad. Apparently, the mass market was equally impressed.

    4. It's not a notebook. You are fund of listing the differences between an iPad and a "real" computer. It seems the iPad buyer is purposely buying something other than a "real" computer. They already have one. They probably don't love it. Even if they do, they want something different for their secondary computer. I understand that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to you. But people do not always want the biggest, most powerful, most versatile piece of equipment. What they want is the right piece of equipment for them, even if it does a little less and costs a little more than the alternative.

    5. The App Store. People love the fact that there is a safe place for them to buy apps for their computing device. They feel more confident that the apps they buy from the app store will work and won't break their device. Also, the apps are much less expensive than the stuff they buy for their Windows based notebooks. They can find an app for just about anything they want, and the best and brightest developers are coming up with new things all the time. There is simply no other app purchasing experience like it, past or present. Also, they don't need to ask anyone for help installing and using it.

    I am a perfect example of the trend. I am a musician with a powerful computer and dual monitor setup. I had a brand new MBP when the iPad came out. I sold it after owning the iPad for a bit. You see, I stopped using the notebook. When I left the house, I grabbed the 3G enabled iPad, not the notebook, and never once regretted the decision. When at home and away from the desk, I reached for the iPad rather than the notebook. When on the toilet... You get the idea.

    The iPad is, without question, the most used portable computer I've ever owned.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Dude, every post you've made in this thread implies people only buy iPads because they're dumb enough to be mislead by snazzy advertising.
    nappy;

    Every post I have made implies EXACTLY what I typed. Nothing hidden. No secrete sauce. No subliminal thoughts, etc.

    I believe people bought and are buying the iPad because they think it is a laptop replacement.

    I believe (and have seen, in person) people realize that this was a huge mistake, and returned it.

    I think this will happen more, and with time, this will prove out in the market place.

    I could be wrong. It wouldnt make sense, but, more things in life happen that arent NEARLY as illogical.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Really? Hmm, so the following should be no issue right?

    -Printing
    -Scanning
    -Reading a thumb drive
    -Reading flash memory
    -Using an external Drive
    -Downloading pics from a camera
    -Burning a CD/DVD
    -Logging into a local LAN

    iPad can do all those, oh wait...
    Printing is coming in November. Importing pictures from a camera isn't a problem.

    I just preordered Civilization 5 and the John Legend and The Roots CD. Neither are available yet but when they are they will be digitally delivered to me. When everything is headed towards digital distribution, I'm not sure how big of a problem not having access to physical media really is. Even on my notebook I find myself using things like Dropbox to share files, anyway.

    I can't mount a samba share or anything on the iPad, but I do have access to resources on my network via things like Bonjour and DLNA. The iPad isn't a great network citizen if you need clients for that but people who worry about things like network topology aren't buying their hardware from Best Buy anyway.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    nappy;

    Every post I have made implies EXACTLY what I typed. Nothing hidden. No secrete sauce. No subliminal thoughts, etc.

    I believe people bought and are buying the iPad because they think it is a laptop replacement.

    I believe (and have seen, in person) people realize that this was a huge mistake, and returned it.

    I think this will happen more, and with time, this will prove out in the market place.

    I could be wrong. It wouldnt make sense, but, more things in life happen that arent NEARLY as illogical.
    So where's the disconnect between this and what finngirl is saying?
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    nappy;
    I believe people bought and are buying the iPad because they think it is a laptop replacement.

    I believe (and have seen, in person) people realize that this was a huge mistake, and returned it.

    I think this will happen more, and with time, this will prove out in the market place.

    I could be wrong. It wouldnt make sense, but, more things in life happen that arent NEARLY as illogical.

    Don't forget that people bought it because "americans can be really fickly and easy to manipulate with a good marketting campaign" and because "there are STILL people on AOL who think that the AOL screen they get when they double click the AOL icon on theirr desktop is what the internet looks like. Seriously!"

    Don't leave out those two gems.

    And a smiley. Must include a smiley.

    And I am not so rude as to insult. I will just tell you you are wrong. It's not personal. You're simply mistaken.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Really? Hmm, so the following should be no issue right?

    -Printing
    -Scanning
    -Reading a thumb drive
    -Reading flash memory
    -Using an external Drive
    -Downloading pics from a camera
    -Burning a CD/DVD
    -Logging into a local LAN

    iPad can do all those, oh wait...
    The fallacy of your argument is the belief that people would prefer a notebook over an iPad because the notebook does more. If the iPad already does more than a person requires, why would they want the added operator burden of a notebook? The super-technical knowledge of us hyper-intelligent, Pre|Central, uber-geeks that we could make a laptop run circles around an iPad in our sleep has no bearing on the decisions by a consumer who wants to listen to music, watch movies, look at family pics, surf the web, watch some YouTube/Hulu/Netflix, and/or do some light emailing. The notebook (or even cheaper netbook), is a comparatively power-hungry, brick-sized charger, clunky device with that same stupid operating system they hate so much at the office. Why should they repeat that experience at home on their own dime?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So where's the disconnect between this and what finngirl is saying?
    nappy;

    finngirl has done nothing but reply with insults, misquotes and the like.

    I wont respond to that, or reply in regards to that.

    On topic, please.

    Thanks!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8. #48  
    What it comes down to is the majority of people use a computer for e-mail, web browsing and media. The iPad does these very well, better than a laptop in some circumstances, which is why people are buying them.

    Yes it isn't a laptop replacement per say, but people these days don't buy laptops to have a portable computer with them, they buy them to do e-mail, web and view media.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9. #49  
    Oh and I have been running the 4.2 beta for a couple days now and I multitask just fine.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What it comes down to is the majority of people use a computer for e-mail, web browsing and media. The iPad does these very well, better than a laptop in some circumstances, which is why people are buying them.

    Yes it isn't a laptop replacement per say, but people these days don't buy laptops to have a portable computer with them, they buy them to do e-mail, web and view media.
    A good smartphone works just as good for those purposes.

    And for an iPhone user, they get those 200,000 apps, as well, and do NOT have to pay an additional wifi/internet access fee.

    Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    A good smartphone works just as good for those purposes.

    And for an iPhone user, they get those 200,000 apps, as well, and do NOT have to pay an additional wifi/internet access fee.

    Just sayin...
    I enjoy the 10" screen. I remote into computers at work with it. The scrolling/zooming on the smaller screen would drive me nuts.

    I have the 32GB WiFi model so I pay no extra fees, and tether with my phone if I need to access the internet from my iPad.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I enjoy the 10" screen. I remote into computers at work with it. The scrolling/zooming on the smaller screen would drive me nuts.

    I have the 32GB WiFi model so I pay no extra fees, and tether with my phone if I need to access the internet from my iPad.
    Great... that is an exception to most consumers. I'm glad thats a fit for you - most consumers wont even know what tethering is.

    But, I did mention that I felt that there will be some valid dedicated corporate/enterrpise uses for it, that make much more sense... you are beginning to prove that.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Great... that is an exception to most consumers. I'm glad thats a fit for you - most consumers wont even know what tethering is.
    Most consumers don't tether. They use wifi.
  14.    #54  
    I had to go back and read my original post just to remind myself what the topic is supposed to be, and I started it.

    Good Job, LC for successfully revising the topic and taking it in a different direction. The word for that is thread-jacking. This happens in every comment section of an article that talks about the success of an Apple product. Instead of taking the success and product category seriously, someone always starts talking about how the product is not so great and will never be right for the masses based on why it is not right for them.

    Well, I don't care who doesn't like the iPad or see its value. That is not the point. The iPad is already a run-away success. It is already displacing notebooks. People are not unhappy with their purchase. Apple can't keep up with demand. CEOs are calling the iPad out by name as disrupting the market for their products. Your opinion of the iPad is a moot point. Try to stay on topic.

    As a reminder, the topic is why HP should be very afraid of the iPad. The iPad is eating away at an important sector of HP's key market in its own backyard, Best Buy. HP seems to be a little desperate and confused about their tablet strategy. This might explain it.

    Just re-read the original post. Consider this a reset of the thread. By the way, my apologies for forgetting to include the link to the article. I will edit the original post and include the link here, as well.

    Here is another, for good measure.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I had to go back and read my original post just to remind myself what the topic is supposed to be, and I started it.

    Good Job, LC for successfully revising the topic and taking it in a different direction. The word for that is thread-jacking. This happens in every comment section of an article that talks about the success of an Apple product. Instead of taking the success and product category seriously, someone always starts talking about how the product is not so great and will never be right for the masses based on why it is not right for them.

    Well, I don't care who doesn't like the iPad or see its value. That is not the point. The iPad is already a run-away success. It is already displacing notebooks. People are not unhappy with their purchase. Apple can't keep up with demand. CEOs are calling the iPad out by name as disrupting the market for their products. Your opinion of the iPad is a moot point. Try to stay on topic.

    As a reminder, the topic is why HP should be very afraid of the iPad. The iPad is eating away at an important sector of HP's key market in its own backyard, Best Buy. HP seems to be a little desperate and confused about their tablet strategy. This might explain it.

    Just re-read the original post. Consider this a reset of the thread. By the way, my apologies for forgetting to include the link to the article. I will edit the original post and include the link here, as well.

    Here is another, for good measure.
    I think HP knew the iPad was going to be a major success before it was even released, hence the purchase of Palm and their pursuit of webOS tablets.

    I personally feel that HP/Palm are the only company that hold anything that will rival the iPad. Their closed ecosystem and touch friendly OS to me seem to be the only platform that will give the same or better user experience as the iPad.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I had to go back and read my original post just to remind myself what the topic is supposed to be, and I started it.

    Good Job, LC for successfully revising the topic and taking it in a different direction. The word for that is thread-jacking. This happens in every comment section of an article that talks about the success of an Apple product. Instead of taking the success and product category seriously, someone always starts talking about how the product is not so great and will never be right for the masses based on why it is not right for them.

    Well, I don't care who doesn't like the iPad or see its value. That is not the point. The iPad is already a run-away success. It is already displacing notebooks. People are not unhappy with their purchase. Apple can't keep up with demand. CEOs are calling the iPad out by name as disrupting the market for their products. Your opinion of the iPad is a moot point. Try to stay on topic.

    As a reminder, the topic is why HP should be very afraid of the iPad. The iPad is eating away at an important sector of HP's key market in its own backyard, Best Buy. HP seems to be a little desperate and confused about their tablet strategy. This might explain it.

    Just re-read the original post. Consider this a reset of the thread. By the way, my apologies for forgetting to include the link to the article. I will edit the original post and include the link here, as well.

    Here is another, for good measure.
    Dandbj;

    I didn't "thread-jack". I replied to the OP. I don't think the iPad is a threat to HP, because HP sells laptop computers, and well, you can fit the rest together - its been said more than enough times. There is a HUGE notebook market, and the iPad hasnt even scratched the surface. Best-Buy's recent sales numbers arent convincing enough.. lets talk in a year or two, when all the dust settles. If Im wrong, I'll be the first to say so.

    Looks like the Best-Buy guy made a mistake - he meant "netbooks". Even more reason to believe the iPad is no threat to HP, and now even further detracts from the point of your original post, the basis of this whole thread, and the many posts you and others have made based on his statement, which, wwe see now, was a misrepresentation. Netbooks do not = a laptop/notebook computer. Different market, different product.

    BTW...

    Those who did "thread-jack" were those who made it into an "apple-hate" issue, posted insults, misquotes, or, just didnt address the points I made.

    I have no bone to pick with Apple. There ARE derogitory and *untidy* posts here that were more directed at Apple or the iPad- not mine. I stuck with my point, and tried to defend it, but, logic doesnt seem to apply to those with other motives/preconceived notions, so please direct your accusations at those who are truly guilty of going off topic, and not those who are on topic, as I am, and will continue to be.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/17/2010 at 06:17 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Most consumers don't tether. They use wifi.
    Nappy;

    I got news for you.. most consumers don't even use wifi for thier smartphones when it could benefit them greatly - thats an education unto itself.

    So, what's your point?

    YOU stated that was an advantage to tether with your smartphone to use the iPad for internet access, when wifi isnt available. Most consumers would be scratching thier heads at the thought.

    Hence, my comment.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nappy;

    I got news for you.. most consumers don't even use wifi for thier smartphones when it could benefit them greatly - thats an education unto itself.

    So, what's your point?

    YOU stated that was an advantage to tether with your smartphone to use the iPad for internet access, when wifi isnt available. Most consumers would be scratching thier heads at the thought.

    Hence, my comment.

    When did I say any of that?
  19. #59  
    Update on the original news via engadget is that it was NETBOOK that took a hit not laptops

    Link:iPad has halved laptop sales, claims Best Buy CEO (update: he meant netbooks) -- Engadget
    Update: It did seem weird to us that the mighty laptop would be that vulnerable to the iPad, and sure enough, our queries with Best Buy were met by the following response:

    "The paraphrase that was used in the WSJ wasn't really an accurate reflection of what Brian said to the reporter.

    What Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn said was that we had no firm numbers, but that we speculated there was some replacement of netbooks by iPads going on. We did not provide specifics because we do not presently have the hard numbers on which to base those specifics."
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When did I say any of that?
    Nappy;

    My sincerest apologies!

    Nickg said that - you just chimed in - sometimes, its difficult to keep track...

    Again, I apologize for the mistake.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions