Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    [quote=dandbj13;2666069]You see, this is what I'm talking about. You are convinced that the only computing devices that make sense are the ones that make sense to you. Heavens forbid the masses to defy your logic. When they do, your explanation is that they are just stupid, mindless drones who have been brainwashed by the magic Apple marketing machine that could sell ice makers to Eskimos. Those poor lemmings, sheeple, ifad loving fools. They need you to come and take them by the hand and lead them to freedom from the Apple mind-control machine. /quote]

Wow, that is some twisting of what I posted.

Show me where I have used any of this language, or even implied it:

"Heavens forbid the masses to defy your logic. When they do, your explanation is that they are just stupid, mindless drones who have been brainwashed by the magic Apple marketing machine that could sell ice makers to Eskimos. Those poor lemmings, sheeple, ifad loving fools. They need you to come and take them by the hand and lead them to freedom from the Apple mind-control machine."

For the life of me, I have no idea where you get this from my post, which was all about pragmatic observation and conclusions - sorry, that doesn't work for you, I guess - you'd rather paint me into the "i hate Apple" box.

Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Did you once consider that they know exactly what companies like MS and HP have been serving up for years, and they have rejected it? Did you consider that they know exactly what they are getting with an iPad, and they like it? Isn't that at least possible?
    Did you ever think that I have considered that, and understand, first hand that there was no "rejection" - the market wasnt ready for it, just like the market wasnt ready for a real smartphone when the Treo was first introduced 9 years ago... it was way ahead of its time.

Back on point: the iPad is an UNDERpowered computing device, at best, and was designed to be a media playing device, and to create revenue with propreitary software that will be UNDERperforming compared to its laptop and PC equivilents.

Not for me, and for many I know, BUT< i do believe that there IS a demand for this type of device with specific needs, as stated earlier.

That's my opinion. Not ignorant, not defying logic. Not emotional, just stating the facts, and drawing my own conclusions.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I would say their hurting low end notebooks. Apple doesn't sell low end so its not affecting Mac sales too much. Pretty neat trick.

I think people (me included) underestimated the reasons why many buy notebooks in the first place. The ipad fills that role for them.

I'm not there yet considering the iphone is an ipad and more for me still. iOS for the ipad needs to offer a bit more (over the iphone) before i consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    But they are. The CEO of Best Buy directly attributes the 50% dropoff in notebook sales to the iPad's presence in the same space.

The interesting thing is Apple's 3Q results reports a 33% unit increase in Mac sales. If Apple's claim that the majority of Macs they sell are notebooks, it would definitely appear that the iPad's "cannibalization" of the notebook market is coming entirely at the expense of their competitors.
    Based on the average person's perception of the marketting presented to them by Apple, their "iPad" partners and the media, ALL who have a huge incentive to profit from this, many people WILL believe that this IS a replacement for a laptop.

When, in fact, they try to use it as such, it is my prognostication that they will be sorely disappointed, and laptop sales will begin to increase again.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Back on point: the iPad is an UNDERpowered computing device, at best, and was designed to be a media playing device, and to create revenue with propreitary software that will be UNDERperforming compared to its laptop and PC equivilents.

Not for me, and for many I know, BUT< i do believe that there IS a demand for this type of device with specific needs, as stated earlier.

That's my opinion. Not ignorant, not defying logic. Not emotional, just stating the facts, and drawing my own conclusions.
    In other words...

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You see, this is what I'm talking about. You are convinced that the only computing devices that make sense are the ones that make sense to you. Heavens forbid the masses to defy your logic. When they do, your explanation is that they are just stupid, mindless drones who have been brainwashed by the magic Apple marketing machine that could sell ice makers to Eskimos. Those poor lemmings, sheeple, ifad loving fools. They need you to come and take them by the hand and lead them to freedom from the Apple mind-control machine.
    Back to the point though...

Based on the average person's perception of the marketting presented to them by Apple, their "iPad" partners and the media, ALL who have a huge incentive to profit from this, many people WILL believe that this IS a replacement for a laptop.

When, in fact, they try to use it as such, it is my prognostication that they will be sorely disappointed, and laptop sales will begin to increase again.
    How is it NOT a replacement for a laptop? You can watch movies on an iPad. You can browse the web. You can play games. You can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can send and receive email. You can edit and view photos. You can access social networking sites more intuitively than on a PC web browser. These are the things people do on laptops. And the iPad lets them do it using a more natural interface on a more convenient form factor.

Do you really think people buy iPads without considering what it's capable of doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ipad needs to offer a bit more (over the iphone) before i consider it.
    6 more inches of screen size does it for me.
    finngirl;

Nah, not at all.

I like commercial success, and I admire it; in fact, I have seen products successful that truly surprised me because they were irrational, but, "cute" devices.

My posts above are based on factual information, experience (first hand) and logic, however, Im the first to admit that we americans can be really fickly and easy to manipulate with a good marketting campaign - AOL did it for MANY years - to date, there are STILL people on AOL who think that the AOL screen they get when they double click the AOL icon on theirr desktop is what the internet looks like. Seriously!

Nice smiley face. but I catch the arrogance.....Apple purchasers are manipulated and easily fooled. Got it.

You are EXACTLY why so many tech-smart products fail. 1) Arrogance by the company creating it, refusing to accept they are wrong (see JooJoo) and

2) a really poor sense how the rest of the consumer base (while smart, not technical OR interested in futzing with the technical aspect) makes decisions on products.

Trust me, if you are at all representative of people making things within Palm, they will never get it.
    I am thinking he meant netbook instead of notebook. I can see the Ipad disrupting netbook sales; because they are similar in limitations and functionality. There is no way an ipad could replace a notebook when it comes to capabilites. (Unless people now only have a need for limited computing while mobile, and save the real computing for desktops.) but who buys desktops these days anyways (except for buinesses, gamers, and traders)

I can never imagine replaceing my 17"scren bluray hdmi weilding 4 gb ram monstrosity i have in front of me.
    In other words...

How is it NOT a replacement for a laptop? You can watch movies on an iPad. You can browse the web. You can play games. You can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can send and receive email. You can edit and view photos. You can access social networking sites more intuitively than on a PC web browser. These are the things people do on laptops. And the iPad lets them do it using a more natural interface on a more convenient form factor.

Do you really think people buy iPads without considering what it's capable of doing?
    Nappy;

Sorry, I'm not connecting the dots on your reference posts above.

Regarding my comment on "how it doesnt replace the laptop".. well, let me see, you cannot use the applications that you have already bought, which are integrated into all of your own data and work: you have to buy special, water-downed version, or, completely new special applications for things like reading books and magazines, when in fact, you could do all of that, inherently on your laptop or PC, at no extra cost, and with better performance and speed.

Its slower, it cannot multitask, it has no keyboard and the one it does have, takes up valuable display space - not exactly the most efficient use of small screen device for productivity, in any regard, and a much lower resolution small screen, which is very poor for graphics and fine/detailed graphic work.

It has limited storage and no expansion capabilities.

And it costs more than a decent laptop, currently.

I have figured it out ladies and gentlemen; the ipad causing a 50% half drop in note book sales at bestbuy is because most people who go to best buy are the same idiots who would buy an i pad over a note book.
    Most people have limited needs for computers unless they work on them.

An enormous amount of the productivity on notebooks, netbooks AND desktops is: email, internet, media.

it just is.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Nice smiley face. but I catch the arrogance.....Apple purchasers are manipulated and easily fooled. Got it..
    Nope. Not even close, sorry - Im not an Apple hater, in the slightest. But, lets not get personal, here. This isnt about me, its about my post, and its content. You can disagree, and, that's fine, as well - but, lets lay off the personal comments, shall we?

You are EXACTLY why so many tech-smart products fail. 1) Arrogance by the company creating it, refusing to accept they are wrong (see JooJoo) and .
    Well, thats a whole lot of power you have given me, there. Sorry, Im not worthy, Im just a guy with an opinion, based on facts, observations and pure pragmatic logic, and I freely admit that I could be proven wrong, however, it would defy that logic - I'd like to think that the american consumer has more sense than that, but, often times, they have proven that they haven't, until they have spent and wasted their money a few times over.

2) a really poor sense how the rest of the consumer base (while smart, not technical OR interested in futzing with the technical aspect) makes decisions on products. .
    Sigh, ok. Im an ***** - I'm stupid and irrational and think totally unpractically.

There, are you happy now?

lol

Trust me, if you are at all representative of people making things within Palm, they will never get it.
    I have no reason to trust you, I don't even know you. I do, however, take great exception to the insults you have posted.

Kindly stick to the topic, please, and stop getting personal.

Thanks.

(thats a friendly smile, not an arrogant or insulting one)

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The idea that people who are buying iPads by the millions per month are going to be largely disappointed by them and will go back to notebooks or netbooks is truly laughable. Before a product is launched, you can predict that people won't buy them in large numbers. However, after a product has been launched, proves to be a huge success, and defines an industry, you just can't reasonably claim that people don't know what they are buying. That's ridiculous.
    Untidyguy;

Ive never said they dont know what they are buying, I opined that they are believing that the device will be a relacement for their laptops and that they will, more often than not, be sorely mistaken.

I stand by that. I've seen it, already.

But, I guess I should have "laughed" at them, right?

Nappy;

Sorry, I'm not connecting the dots on your reference posts above.

Regarding my comment on "how it doesnt replace the laptop".. well, let me see, you cannot use the applications that you have already bought, which are integrated into all of your own data and work: you have to buy special, water-downed version, or, completely new special applications for things like reading books and magazines, when in fact, you could do all of that, inherently on your laptop or PC, at no extra cost, and with better performance and speed.

Its slower, it cannot multitask, it has no keyboard and the one it does have, takes up valuable display space - not exactly the most efficient use of small screen device for productivity, in any regard, and a much lower resolution small screen, which is very poor for graphics and fine/detailed graphic work.

It has limited storage and no expansion capabilities.

And it costs more than a decent laptop, currently.

In other words, the iPad sucks because it can't run Photoshop. Cool.

As for the rest of your complaints, I'm guessing you've never used an iPad before. It's a more capable device than you give it credit for. There's no reason why you can't read books and magazines using Safari or a free ereader app. Performance is a strange metric to measure because it depends on what you're doing. The iPad certainly hasn't been accused of being lacking in performance. Multitasking is coming in November. The iPad supports Bluetooth keyboards. Storage would be a problem if we were dealing with bloated, multiple gigabyte applications or working on large databases that are stored locally. And photo editing probably demands a resolution higher than 1024x768. Those are the people who require laptops or desktops. The thing is, the drop in laptop sales reported by Asus and Best Buy (which is a result of end users buying iPads) show that those people are becoming the minority.
    Nope. Not even close, sorry - Im not an Apple hater, in the slightest. But, lets not get personal, here. This isnt about me, its about my post, and its content. You can disagree, and, that's fine, as well - but, lets lay off the personal comments, shall we?

Well, thats a whole lot of power you have given me, there. Sorry, Im not worthy, Im just a guy with an opinion, based on facts, observations and pure pragmatic logic, and I freely admit that I could be proven wrong, however, it would defy that logic - I'd like to think that the american consumer has more sense than that, but, often times, they have proven that they haven't, until they have spent and wasted their money a few times over.

Sigh, ok. Im an ***** - I'm stupid and irrational and think totally unpractically.

There, are you happy now?

lol

I have no reason to trust you, I don't even know you. I do, however, take great exception to the insults you have posted.

Kindly stick to the topic, please, and stop getting personal.

Thanks.

(thats a friendly smile, not an arrogant or insulting one)

Oh, jesus. Don't get all mopey and insulted.

Regardless what I think of you, I doubt you believe you were not intending to insult.

You just posted that you weren't surprised by Apple's success because "people are easily manipulated" right? Was this just a commentary? Was it not a slam?

And you said, explaining the iPad's success, as after all, "people still think [insert lame product] is the greatest"....

Didja you think these were COMPLIMENTARY or objective statements? Did you really not pick up on your condescension? or perhaps thought you were just really, really subtle? :/

Now, I don't mind trading barbs with you, but please leave out the faux indignation when you sling pot shots.
    In other words, the iPad sucks because it can't run Photoshop. Cool. .
    Or large word documents, large excel spreadsheets, database, or CAD programs, or do any 2 or more tasks at one time.

As for the rest of your complaints, I'm guessing you've never used an iPad before. There's no reason why you can't read books and magazines using Safari or a free ereader app. Performance is a strange metric to measure because it depends on what you're doing. The iPad certainly hasn't been accused of being lacking in performance. Multitasking is coming in November. The iPad supports Bluetooth keyboards. Storage would be a problem if we were dealing with bloated, multiple gigabyte applications or working on large databases that are stored locally. And photo editing probably demands a resolution higher than 1024x768. Those are the people who require laptops or desktops. The thing is, the drop in laptop sales reported by Asus and Best Buy (which is a result of end users buying iPads) show that those people are becoming the minority.
    1. Im not complaining. Im stating incapabilities, thats why I dont use one.

2. I HAVE used an iPad. Sorry. It was just a "rhetorical" device, to me, personally.

3. Whatever I can do on a laptop, I can do faster, with full power and speed, to integrate data and information between applications, while I multitask. Sorry, but I, and most people, need that. Some can do without it, Im sure. Im betting that most wont. I could be wrong, though.

4. Buying a keboard for the iPad? Again, a laptop has this built in, nice and protected, AND has the added benefit of NOT having a BT connection to drain its battery life- oh and yeah, it WONT cost me another $100 bucks!

As I said, the iPad is NOT a replacement for a laptop/notebook. I believe most people buying them think it is, and will be sorely mistaken, as well as poorer, after all is said and done.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/17/2010 at 03:37 PM.

Again, the crux of the issue is the iPad isn't a replacement for YOU. Everyone else is too busy doing the things they normally do, while discovering cool new things they never considered doing, on their iPads. If iPad owners weren't happy with their purchase, things like this

wouldn't happen.
    Oh, jesus. Don't get all mopey and insulted. .
    Then lay off the insults.

Regardless what I think of you, I doubt you believe you were not intending to insult..
    You see what you want to see, not what I intended, obviously. Lets stay on topic, ok? Thanks!

You just posted that you weren't surprised by Apple's success because "people are easily manipulated" right? Was this just a commentary? Was it not a slam? .
    I never said that. Check your quote.

And you said, explaining the iPad's success, as after all, "people still think [insert lame product] is the greatest".... .
    Sorry, I never said that either.

Didja you think these were COMPLIMENTARY or objective statements? Did you really not pick up on your condescension? or perhaps thought you were just really, really subtle? :/ .
    Again,check your quotes- perhaps you are referring to someone else, or, you are rephrasing something I posted.

I stated an opinion. Feel free to argue it with facts, and, once again STOP with the personal comments.

Now, I don't mind trading barbs with you, but please leave out the faux indignation when you sling pot shots.
    Im not "trading barbs" with you. Really.

Please stay on topic and stop the personal comments.

Last request -

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm. You want to say whatever you want, and avoid being labeled as "insulting" when everyone can tell you are being so.

I point it out and get a "one last request" to stay on topic, because I'm being "personal."

Got it. Fortunately, I know most of the readers of the thread do too.
    In other words...

Really? Hmm, so the following should be no issue right?

-Printing
    -Scanning
    -Reading a thumb drive
    -Reading flash memory
    -Using an external Drive
    -Downloading pics from a camera
    -Burning a CD/DVD
    -Logging into a local LAN

iPad can do all those, oh wait...
    Dude, every post you've made in this thread implies people only buy iPads because they're dumb enough to be mislead by snazzy advertising.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast