1.    #1  
    Microsoft: Windows Phone 7 to be GSM-only until first half of 2011 -- Engadget

Microsoft just gave HP/Palm a gift! No WP7 for Verizon or Sprint.
    I'm baffled, frankly.

If Samsung can get both the Galaxy S and Galaxy S tab onto every American carrier - with customizations for each one ! - within a few months of announcing it and after launching throughout Europe and Asia, why can't Microsoft get Samsung, LG, HTC, and whoever else to combine their efforts to do the same? Ask Blackberry Torch how exclusively launching on ATT after iPhone4 and Samsung Captivate worked out.....

Don't think this is any sort of gift to HP or Palm however. This means they are beating them to market on ATT and may end up competing with them in terms of launch timelines on Verizon and Sprint.

This is a gift to Android which is the ONLY platform that will have new devices and new tablets for the holiday season of 2010 on all carriers. Not ONE other player in the market has even hinted at intention of doing the same. Makes me wonder how serious any of them are about thus market...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm baffled, frankly.

If Samsung can get both the Galaxy S and Galaxy S tab onto every American carrier - with customizations for each one ! - within a few months of announcing it and after launching throughout Europe and Asia, why can't Microsoft get Samsung, LG, HTC, and whoever else to combine their efforts to do the same? Ask Blackberry Torch how exclusively launching on ATT after iPhone4 and Samsung Captivate worked out.....

Don't think this is any sort of gift to HP or Palm however. This means they are beating them to market on ATT and may end up competing with them in terms of launch timelines on Verizon and Sprint.

This is a gift to Android which is the ONLY platform that will have new devices and new tablets for the holiday season of 2010 on all carriers. Not ONE other player in the market has even hinted at intention of doing the same. Makes me wonder how serious any of them are about thus market...
    It's probably a software hurdle rather than hardware. Samsung only had to worry about hardware, not software. As of Android 1.6, CDMA was supported.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    CMDA only has a small share of the market worldwide compared to GSM, to be fair. Although the same isn't true in the USA, and as MS are a US company, this could be seen as embarrassing I suppose.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's probably a software hurdle rather than hardware. Samsung only had to worry about hardware, not software. As of Android 1.6, CDMA was supported.
    But the guys I listed - HTC, Samsung, and LG - not only had devices ready to go, but had already made 3G CDMA devices for Android. Can Windows Phone 7's CDMA radio software be that much more difficult to implement?

I could see if Toshiba or Garmin ASUS was having some issues, but HTC and Samsung have regularly executed widescale, co-GSM/CDMA launches of the same smartphone across multiple carriers. I find it bizarre that they couldn't given the long lead time to this launch.

Anytime you have to scale a launch back because of lack of product instead of lack of demand, it is a bad thing no matter how you look at it.
    Its just GSM only at launch for 3 months....

Not really a big deal.

And who said anything about scaling back a launch...i wasn't aware they listed in the past it was launching on all carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Its just GSM only at launch for 3 months....

Not really a big deal.

And who said anything about scaling back a launch...i wasn't aware they listed in the past it was launching on all carriers.
    3 months? Notice they gave a timeframe of first HALF of 2011, not first QUARTER. That generally means April to June 2011 is a realistic window to expect it to launch. That is a big deal when HP is relaunching WebOS on CDMA carriers, and it gives time for Droid to get dug in to iPhone-levels of ubiquity on Verizon as well as Evo and Epic locking up Sprint customers. I don't think they want a repeat of the Kin debacle there.

The point is, the US market is important for any smartphone launch, and the majority of customers here (Verizon + Sprint + Virgin Mobile + Boost + Cricket + Cellular South) are contracted to CDMA carriers. This isn't going to be an iPhone-esque phenomenon, so wide availability - a la Samsung Galaxy S - is key to a successful launch. They had to "prioritize" GSM to meet the launch window, and that means a scale back from their original plans when HTC and LG have already been confirmed with CDMA WP7 devices in existence.
    Maybe its just me but I think the vast customer base of GSM in the whole world is a bit more important than having it on Verizon/Sprint and whatever else is running CDMA right now. Sprint and Verizon have always been shafted on phones that go GSM for the worldwide appeal at first. Hell, blackberry still takes forever to get some of their devices over to CDMA.

Business wise yes, being on everything would've been the best bet....but obviously they aren't able to, so focus on GSM to make sure Europe and a good chunk of america is covered.
    Maybe its just me but I think the vast customer base of GSM in the whole world is a bit more important than having it on Verizon/Sprint and whatever else is running CDMA right now. Sprint and Verizon have always been shafted on phones that go GSM for the worldwide appeal at first. Hell, blackberry still takes forever to get some of their devices over to CDMA.

Business wise yes, being on everything would've been the best bet....but obviously they aren't able to, so focus on GSM to make sure Europe and a good chunk of america is covered.
    If between 4-7 manufacturers who have been signed on for several months they cannot furnish enough inventory to launch a new OS with GSM AND CDMA devices, they should really be taken to task. It's unacceptably myopic.

Yes, GSM has a vast customer base. But they are already launching with GSM in Europe this month. At least one of their manufacturers should have had CDMA devices ready to go for the November American launch or in a tighter timeframe than "by the end of the first half of 2011". Heck, even Samsung got its CDMA Galaxy S devices out just 1-2 months later, and they launched the Galaxy S all over the world prior to that...and they are a WP7 manufacturer! We're talking a CDMA customer base of over 150 million people in one of the highest profile countries, and one of the hungriest to buy smartphones.

Meanwhile, the last big launch on ATT - the Blackberry Torch - went over like a wet fart despite a huge marketing and retail campaign. I know they'll have an HTC one for T-Mobile, but it's a pretty tiny carrier and a lot of people will have already jumped for the Vibrant and the G2.
    do any of the advocates for WP7 who have until now vehemently disagreed with my dismal prognosis for it, want to now revise their opinions ??

If the current rumours are true and the iphone launches on Vzn and Sprint in January, WP7 (and webOS) will have next to no oxygen left for whenever they get launched.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    For anyone wanting a Wp7 phone on Sprint or Version your out of luck until the first half of 2011.

http://www.wmexperts.com/no-windows-...rint-well-2010
    <<Thread Merged/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic

There are a lot more CDMA networks than just North America FYI...

http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceP...echnology_id=2
    Last edited by NickDG; 09/17/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    thanks...

But, the by the number GSM overshadows CDMA. Which is what i was specifically referring to.
    You seriously had to copy and paste that pointless list here? You couldn't have made your point more elegantly by simply posting a link and saying there are a couple of hundred CDMA providers around the world?

Now some *****'s going to reply to you with a quote - great.
    thanks...

But, the by the number GSM overshadows CDMA. Which is what i was specifically referring to.
    Right, but Microsoft isn't in a position where they can comfortably restrict the number of people who gets access to WP7. This really is a bit of a disaster when you consider how much they've done right up till now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You seriously had to copy and paste that pointless list here? You couldn't have made your point more elegantly by simply posting a link and saying there are a couple of hundred CDMA providers around the world?

Now some *****'s going to reply to you with a quote - great.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Right, but Microsoft isn't in a position where they can comfortably restrict the number of people who gets access to WP7. This really is a bit of a disaster when you consider how much they've done right up till now.
    Maybe...i dunno. I could be totally wrong. Yes, it would be awesome to be on every carrier ever right away...but when has launching a 1st gen product ever gone smoothly and exactly how one wants it to go?

VERY rarely. This is why i just don't see this as a big deal...i could be absolutely wrong....but I guess time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    There are a lot more CDMA networks than just North America FYI...

...clip...
    Thanks Nick,

in the future just post a small preview and a link.

Thanks,
    -Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Thanks Nick,

in the future just post a small preview and a link.

Thanks,
    -Berd
    - Fixed.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo