Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a pre plus user on vzw, loving my phone, but hating the biggest bug of my device: VERIZON!

Anyways, vzw, like all carriers, has a strong holiday push of new devices, starting in nov. Reading the news that microsoft will only be releasing GSM devices for their new OS this fall (thus no windows 7 devices on vzw, or sprint for that matter), makes things rather confusing for vzw's holiday push. There are some new android devices coming to vzw, but I don't see what features they will have that will convince vzw users of other droid devices to upgrade, except for those with the original droid who are eligible for an annual upgrade. There are rumors and leaks all over of some new blackberry devices coming out, most notably the storm 3, but I don't think they will be able to successfully market such a device to consumers after the disaster of the original storm. We all know the relationship btwn vzw and palm, which will likely carry over atleast for the short term to vzw's relationship with palm under hp. Phonearena suggests that a pre 2 is coming to vzw later this year, but I just don't see it happening with the carrier and even if it does, I just can't fathom them advertising it strongly. There are no suggestions of any nokia or intel devices with symbian or meego coming to vzw...so....the only other device out there is the iphone or some iphone variant. Can it be? Will it finally come to vzw in time for the holidays?

All this makes me wonder what vzw will be pushing this holiday season. At some point their consumers will want to see devices other than droid variants. They may be able to push out a successful blackberry OS 6 campaign, but again, don't know if that will be successul. Without webOS devices or windows 7 devices, that only leaves apple.

I think vzw is heading down a dangerous path getting so heavy into android devices.

any thoughts?
    By the time people on Verizon begin to tire of Android, they will have a WP7 and new WebOS device. But in the meantime, they are adding more phone customers per quarter than any other domestic carrier in the industry with the Droid brand.....why "fix" something that is nowhere near broken?
    The Pre's End Of Life is Oct 21 on Verizon. Should be pretty self-explanatory what the big push for VZ will be this Holiday season.
  4.    #4  
    mikah92, it's not a matter of fixing. I've used my wife's incredible and droid 2, and we've also played with the X. In all honesty, they are the same phone with subtle differences in software (froyo only on droid 2, sense vs motoblur). The most differentiating factor is the form factor. Not sure what additional form factors or specs will be enough to convince me that the next couple of droids will be that different. In other words, as a vzw customer, I would not find a compelling reason to get another droid device at present. Will they advertise that the next htc droid device is better than the droid 2? I doubt they will cannabilize the sales of any new droid.

and what proof do they have that they will carry a palm device and/or market it heavily during the holidays? Trust me, as a palm fanatic I would love it but just don't see vzw doing it.

in 2008, it was the bb storm.
    in 2009, the original droid.
    2010? Another droid? Boring.

it will be interesting to see what vzw has up their sleeves.
    It will be a Droid, there's no doubt about that. There are no new major platforms hitting the carriers anytime soon (well, aside from WP7 which is GSM only until 2011). VZ is not going to push old hardware with sales that were abysmal.

They'll probably push the line up that you see now with deals (like buy one get one free).
  6.    #6  
    the bogo deal has been present for a long time in various forms.

I still think vzw will need a flagship device for the holidays. Guess it will be another droid. Ho hum.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    mikah92, it's not a matter of fixing. I've used my wife's incredible and droid 2, and we've also played with the X. In all honesty, they are the same phone with subtle differences in software (froyo only on droid 2, sense vs motoblur). The most differentiating factor is the form factor. Not sure what additional form factors or specs will be enough to convince me that the next couple of droids will be that different. In other words, as a vzw customer, I would not find a compelling reason to get another droid device at present. Will they advertise that the next htc droid device is better than the droid 2? I doubt they will cannabilize the sales of any new droid.

and what proof do they have that they will carry a palm device and/or market it heavily during the holidays? Trust me, as a palm fanatic I would love it but just don't see vzw doing it.

in 2008, it was the bb storm.
    in 2009, the original droid.
    2010? Another droid? Boring.

it will be interesting to see what vzw has up their sleeves.

I agree nothing different really about the droids or android period a very boring OS IMO. Though what Mikah is saying is true they are making madd money on selling the same device pretty much every Quarter, so of course a smart company will keep doing so, and marketing their money maker until their sales slow down, and yeah by that time more newer devices will be available like windows phone 7 and Webos.
    They don't seem to be having too many problems getting VZ customers to buy more Droids. I would love to have more choices available for Verizon and Sprint customers too, frankly. But neither HP nor Windows Phone 7 have any CDMA product ready to go for the foreseeable future. At least Android 3.0 will be ready to go by the end of the year supposedly.
  9.    #9  
    I didn't know that android 3.0 would be released that soon! Vzw is heading toward shaky territory if they expect all their droid customers to get a new device everytime a new software update comes out. They have announced today that the eris will not be getting froyo. The X and fascinate are still running froyo less.

I don't even wanna think about when webOS 2.0 will arrive on the carrier. Hopefully palm has already given it to vzw to test the crap out of it, hopefully before their one palm guy leaves for christmas break!!!

speaking of palm,why would vzw eol the pre plus rather than the pixi plus, unless they have a large surplus of the pixi and have sold out their pres, finally (not available in my area online).
    I didn't know that android 3.0 would be released that soon! Vzw is heading toward shaky territory if they expect all their droid customers to get a new device everytime a new software update comes out. They have announced today that the eris will not be getting froyo. The X and fascinate are still running froyo less.

I don't even wanna think about when webOS 2.0 will arrive on the carrier. Hopefully palm has already given it to vzw to test the crap out of it, hopefully before their one palm guy leaves for christmas break!!!

speaking of palm,why would vzw eol the pre plus rather than the pixi plus, unless they have a large surplus of the pixi and have sold out their pres, finally (not available in my area online).
    VZW releases a new droid about every quarter on average...yet the typical Verizon contract is for 2 years (20 months till eligible for upgrade).

So at a certain point Droid sales have to start to plateau or even decline unless Verizon offers contracts similar to Sprint premiere customers for a 1-year contract.
  11.    #11  
    for "VIP" members on vzw, we can upgrade yearly.
    Verizon iPhone is next big hit for Verizon
    I'm pretty sure that with verizon's roll out of their 4G service in this years holiday season their will be a phone probably more capable then the EVO. It is going to be a our service and phone is better than your's deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a phone that has, Android 3.0, Tegra 2 chip, 4G, with a screen size and resolution that tops EVO. I was told by a Verizon executive client manager when I tried to get a phone upgrade in the early upgrade program, you'll want to wait because there will be better 4G phones in the holiday season. There is no way Verizon is going to let EVO stand as the top 4G phone when they roll out their 4G service. So expect something big to be leaking on the net in about mid-October.
    LOL Thank you.
    @MDsmartphone, where can I get this to happen on my account? As it stands I have a new every two. My account has been VIP for 5+ years now and would love the reap the benefts of that deal.
    I can't wait for Android 3.0 to hit this Holiday season. I'm eligble for an upfrade but I'm waiting for Gingerbread since it's supposed to be the end of Android Fragmentation. And WebOS 2.0 is going to be a let down if you are on Verizon due to delayed updates and probably crippled GPS.
  17.    #17  
    For the primary account holder, VIP members can do an annual upgrade, though you have to renew your contract for another 2 years.
    Contact vzw and they should inform you if you are eligible.
    the bogo deal has been present for a long time in various forms.

I still think vzw will need a flagship device for the holidays. Guess it will be another droid. Ho hum.
    Pretty sure Droid 2 will be the holiday flagship with a lower price or a bundle offer with one or more of the other Android phones.

For the primary account holder, VIP members can do an annual upgrade, though you have to renew your contract for another 2 years.
    Contact vzw and they should inform you if you are eligible.
    What makes you a "VIP" member? And are you saying they can do an annual upgrade for a 2 year contract??
  19.    #19  
    Not sure what qualifies one as a VIP member for verizon- I just know they send me flyers every so often with updates about my VIP status and what offers I am eligible for, including annual upgrade, 25% off accessories, free backup of contacts and transfer of contacts with new phones, free additional 100 mins of voice time if I go over my plan...

I have been on vzw for ~ 8 yrs, and have had phone/data family plans of at least 79.99 above since. you may have to contact vzw to see if they still offer the VIP plan to some of its customers.

I have done an annual upgrade yearly for the last 2 years...hoping to use it again if a new palm device comes to vzw this jan (wishful thinking, i know...)
  20.    #20  
    GEEZ. never mind. I just googled the VZW VIP plan, and see that it expired feb 28, 2010!

PPCGeeks.com Verizon Wireless Cans Their VIP Program

so much for being a VZW "VIP" member...I wasnt even notified it was discontinued.

VZW, keeps losing points in my book...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast