1.    #1  
    "AirPrint is Apple’s powerful new printing architecture that matches the simplicity of iOS—no set up, no configuration, no printer drivers and no software to download," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC."

HP will have a number of compatible printers available this fall, including the HP Photosmart, Officejet, Officejet Pro and LaserJet Pro series of ePrint entabled printers. AirPrint will work on the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch, second generation and later.

"We’re pleased to work with Apple to bring Apple’s AirPrint to our fall lineup of ePrint printers in time for the holiday shopping season," said Vyomesh Joshi, HP executive vice president, Imaging and Printing Group. "Making it easy for our customers to print anytime, anywhere, is a key priority for HP. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch customers are going to love how easy it is to print using our new range of ePrint printers, creating high-quality printed pages in an instant."

AppleInsider | Apple releases first beta of iOS 4.2 with support for AirPrint
    I thought they were rolling their own way? Are they doing both or just supporting what Apple has done? Interesting.
  3.    #3  
    A company like HP is going to have all sorts of divisions with their own agendas. There is absolutely no way that the printer division is going to allow their long-term strategy to be held up by there niche mobile product that won't even be out until next year - not with 120 million iOS devices out there.

They are looking to sell as many printers as possible this holiday season and the iOS devices are out there and ready starting today with the release of iOS 4.2 beta to developers. I'm sure they are going to run ads that promote HP ePrint devices as the perfect companion peripheral for your iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad user. I'm sure getting one.

There some additional information about AirPrint as well:

Adding printing support to your app is easy. Simply provide a button for the user to initiate printing, prepare your content in an appropriate format, and then create and send a print job to the iOS print system when the user requests it.

Test with a printer that supports AirPrint

HP ePrint printers are the first to support AirPrint. You can test printing from your app to one of these printers:

•HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer series – C410
    •HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series – C310
    •HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series- B210
    Or, test printing with one of these options:

•Print to a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta
    •Print to the Printer Simulator from iOS 4.2 beta
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 09/15/2010 at 01:59 PM.
    And there's nothing saying they couldn't incorporate a similar protocol into webOS. They don't need to copy AirPrint, just communicate with the printers that support the protocol which they obviously have access to to make the printers in the first place.
    The ePrint version of this capability has been available,in a limited form, on iPhones for over a year. GLad to see their expanding this capability - and smart of them to do so.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I assume (or at least hope) that Apple & HP are using the standards around internet printing (to email address if I'm not mistaken) that have been discussed lately and where also HP and Google were mentioned. If so, then it is a no brainer for HP to also offere this functionality in webOS 2. I actually think they should! Then they can offer a turn key all HP solution! Especially for the business market things like that are an advantage.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It seems Apple's implementation of HP's eprint functionality is different and they have patents to back that up: AppleInsider | Apple's ambitious AirPlay, AirPrint plans detailed in patent applications