Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    How exactly does a company force a product to dominate a market?
    I love how the underlying sentiment around here is that Android only succeeds because of market flooding and iPhone only succeeds because Apple users will buy anything with their logo on it.

    Because, you know, it's not possible for Android phones and the iPhone to be high quality products or anything. The Android and iPhone users in all the customer satisfaction polls we see aren't really happy with them -- they just haven't tried WebOS yet.
  2. #62  
    People just like ignoring and dismissing statistically evidence and instead chalk it up to other factors.

    Like the Pre didn't do well soleky because of marketing.

    No, thats a small part....the Pre just wasn't a solid device for many. That leads to very little in the way of word of mouth. Hell, my gf STILL talks **** about her Pre (she hated hers, i liked mine) when people bring it up in our circle. Her claim: She has never had a phone that gave her this many problems.



    Then look again at satisfaction polls or even the rating on Sprint's website. There are people who just didn't have a good WebOS experience. I hope the time HPalm is taking getting a new phone is out they are really fixing a lot of the negative aspects of the experience (long boot times, lag, memory issues/leaks etc.)
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    People just like ignoring and dismissing statistically evidence and instead chalk it up to other factors.

    Like the Pre didn't do well soleky because of marketing.

    No, thats a small part....the Pre just wasn't a solid device for many. That leads to very little in the way of word of mouth. Hell, my gf STILL talks **** about her Pre (she hated hers, i liked mine) when people bring it up in our circle. Her claim: She has never had a phone that gave her this many problems.

    Then look again at satisfaction polls or even the rating on Sprint's website. There are people who just didn't have a good WebOS experience.
    Seriously. There are classes of ratings on the Sprint website, and the Pre and Pixi are in the same middling class as the Samsung Instinct HD (3x out of 5). The HTC Hero, Evo, and Epic are all in a much higher class of user satisfaction (4x out of 5). So it's not just build quality and oreo and such, because the Pixi had none of those problems. The stock WebOS experience is still way too underwhelming for too many people. Engadget's lead guy, Joshua Topolsky, tweeted as much when he finally got to install 1.4.5 on a Verizon Pre Plus. The sheer amount of heavy overclocking and patching around here confirms it.

    I hope the time HPalm is taking getting a new phone is out they are really fixing a lot of the negative aspects of the experience (long boot times, lag, memory issues/leaks etc.)
    I would argue that those fixes are important, but not as important as what NEW they are bringing to the table. Just fixing WebOS so that it is finally out of beta and in the shape it should've been in on June 6, 2009 isn't enough. The reason is that a lot of prospective customers on Apple, Android, and soon Windows Phone 7 already enjoy shorter boot times, no lag, and no memory errors when opening new apps. They also have universal search and multitasking. WebOS needs something to make those people leave. Just getting up to par with the rest of the market will probably be a recipe for continued irrelevance.

    Android has Google Nav, big screens, and constantly refreshed hardware to make Apple fans and WebOS fans leave.
    Apple has a buttery smooth UI, iTunes, and a kazillion apps to make Android and WebOS fans leave.
    Windows Phone 7 will have Zune integration, Xbox integration, Office integration, plus unique app designs and games offered to make Android and Apple fans leave.

    What will WebOS have? Stacked notifications? Synergy? Not enough.
  4. #64  
    Agreed...and thats why you get polls like this:



  5. #65  
    I got my new Fascinate yesterday. So far I am extremely happy with my phone. I have so many apps I downloaded and I can't put down my phone today. I unplugged my phone at 9am til 4:30pm, and I used it none stop. I mean, I was testing out all sorts of apps, gps, tethering, navigation and launcher. And my battery still got 25% left. that's impressive.

    And the apps that I am currently downloaded, they are very good apps too and most are free. Shazam, Skype, ESPN widget, Yahoo Fantasyfootball, wifi tethering, Manga viewer app (i love it), vnc, google voice, and I am not even get to the games yet. So much thing to do, now I know why I am paying $30 extra to get the smartphone. BTW, I got my phone for free from amazon.com.

    btw, my phone was on 3G connection all day, not once I used wifi. Considering that, this thing got really amazing battery life.
  6. #66  
    @Brian Mantis, you should post a link to that for those of us who'd like to read the full report. Gonna google it.
  7. #67  
    haha i just think its funny how much the phandroids have chimed in to defend their precious 'open' OS on a competitor's forum. I really do have much better things to do than sit and argue the merits of webOS vs iphone android devices. its not that i've necessarily run out of things to say, its just that no matter what i do or say, the iphone android apologists will just keep coming out of the woodwork to return fire.

    it seems that my comments just keep getting misconstrued anyway. I had previously stated that Android has 'no personality' to which BM responded 'you can customize it any you like'. Well that's called personalization to me, not personality.
    Boy Genius sums it up pretty good right here: Google Android Personal Thoughts Boy Genius Report

    Also, can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?

  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post

    Also, can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?

    Some serious multitasking and customizing.

    Your turn. Can you tell me whats happening in this picture?



    (This is my Moment with a custom ROM and theme.)
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Some serious multitasking and customizing.

    Your turn. Can you tell me whats happening in this picture?



    (This is my Moment with a custom ROM and theme.)
    haha, it looks like a whole lot of nothing. sorry :/
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    haha, it looks like a whole lot of nothing. sorry :/
    Exactly. However you want it.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    haha i just think its funny how much the phandroids have chimed in to defend their precious 'open' OS on a competitor's forum. I really do have much better things to do than sit and argue the merits of webOS vs iphone android devices. its not that i've necessarily run out of things to say, its just that no matter what i do or say, the iphone android apologists will just keep coming out of the woodwork to return fire.

    it seems that my comments just keep getting misconstrued anyway. I had previously stated that Android has 'no personality' to which BM responded 'you can customize it any you like'. Well that's called personalization to me, not personality.
    Boy Genius sums it up pretty good right here: Google Android Personal Thoughts Boy Genius Report

    Also, can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?

    Out the woodworks? Listen.

    I've been a longer member and probably more useful member of precentral (and this is my 2nd account cause I changed my name). Just cause i moved on from my Pre doesn't mean i can't discuss my thoughts on my current platform vs WebOS.

    Go read my posts in the past about my love for WebOS....i really did love it....but moving on also made me see the faults of WebOS much easier.

    So i'm sorry you are upset that we are "defending" our OS....i saw it more of a discussion. IF you can't handle that, stay out of Cross Platform chat.

    Whats best, is i read your link and see this:
    Part of my main issue with Android, and this applies slightly less to HTC Sense UI handsets, is that there’s practically no human emotion with Google when it comes to technology. Everything is statistical and analytical. While you could argue that being this way is way superior to “feeling” and “emotion”– it might be 95% of the time — you still will almost always lose that charm and that amazing feeling of connecting to something. People would die for their iPhones, people would die for their BlackBerrys – and they feel like their lives are in there. People feel connected to their BlackBerrys. Some sleep with them next to their pillow. No one gives a crap about their Android phone, there’s zero emotional attachment. The closest example would be Palm’s webOS. A great concept, besides Apple’s iPhone OS, it’s the most polished, the most friendly, and the most human. Do you see that?
    Yet what they are calming doesn't happen, is exactly what happened in this thread and you are now upset that its happening? Are you upset because its disproving your theory?

    Come on now. Also, everyone on this site (before your time) comes in here bashing BGR cause they trashed the Pre in their review....yet they'll post/link to it when its something they agree with.

    I'm about to leave Precentral...i once loved this community but its getting worse than Apple fans. And your picture shows me nothing other than with android you can do whatever you want to your homescreens... something many android owners enjoy doing.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 09/30/2010 at 10:40 PM.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Out the woodworks? Listen.

    I've been a longer member and probably more useful member of precentral (and this is my 2nd account cause I changed my name). Just cause i moved on from my Pre doesn't mean i can't discuss my thoughts on my current platform vs WebOS.

    Go read my posts in the past about my love for WebOS....i really did love it....but moving on also made me see the faults of WebOS much easier.

    So i'm sorry you are upset that we are "defending" our OS....i saw it more of a discussion. IF you can't handle that, stay out of Cross Platform chat.

    Whats best, is i read your link and see this:


    Yet what they are calming doesn't happen, is exactly what happened in this thread and you are now upset that its happening? Are you upset because its disproving your theory?

    Come on now. Also, everyone on this site (before your time) comes in here bashing BGR cause they trashed the Pre in their review....yet they'll post/link to it when its something they agree with.

    I'm about to leave Precentral...i once loved this community but its getting worse than Apple fans. And your picture shows me nothing other than with android you can do whatever you want to your homescreens... something many android owners enjoy doing.
    What are you talking about? You quoted a portion of the BGR article and are now twisting it around to suit your point? It's pretty cut and dry. The author of that article sees Android largely as a cold, lifeless and rather dull operating system, which i'm hard-pressed to disagree with.

    Also, BGR liked the Pre. See this article right here from Precentral: http://www.precentral.net/boy-genius...likes-palm-pre

    Okay, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am more or less philosophically opposed to Android. Google is using their power as the world's most powerful tech company to singlehandedly monopolize the industry with their bandwagon operating system. I don't feel that its a necessarily 'bad' OS but its success lies almost chiefly with it being the baby of the world's largest tech company as well as the cool democratic alternative to the iphone.
  13. #73  
    So, is Apple & Google now the BIG BROTHER like Apple's 1984 commercial & Palm is like Apple back in 1984?
  14. allonon's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #74  
    I totally agree with this.

    I'm testing out a Captivate (replacing an iphone 3gs) for my work phone. My primary phone is a Pre.

    There is a lot of horsepower with Android; but the polish is not there, at least for me. As much as I dislike the iPhone as a phone, I don't see myself sticking with the Captivate because the experience is even slower.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions