Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Out of curiosity - where do you live? Apart from the people I personally know, I see a Pre in the wild about once a week (living in Munich, Germany, the hometown of O2). That's not much, but it's more than never o_O
    I work in Boston and have used a Pre since it's launch day (I was one of the dorks at the Mall long before the doors opened) have seen a total of two others using the Pre. I love Palm/Webos, but my ear speaker died three days ago, and I need a replacement. I'm going out today and am going to give the Epic a try. If there is an announcement of a new device in 30 days, I'll return it and buy a used Pre from Craigslist.
    I live in NYC so i've seen a few on my commute, but clearly iPhone/blackberry/android dominate in the wild.
    I am always curious what phones people have. I have met one person who also had a Pre since June, 2009. She had just gotten it. I saw her again a couple months later with an Android. She said that after 5 broken Pre's the Best Buy manager had let her use her Black Tie service and get an Android instead. (A survey here this past summer showed that the average person was on their second or third Pre.)

She then said a really key thing. She said that she had bought the Pre mostly for how nice it looked but there was only one person at Best Buy who had a Pre who really knew how to help her. So she would go in during his shifts.

She said that since she had gotten the Android everyone there could help her. She said that many pull out their own Androids to show her apps and things.

Salespeople sell what they know.

How many salespeople today at Verizon, Sprint, Radio Shack, and Best Buy have as their own phone an Android?

I would have to guess 70% of the retail sales reps I have talked to since the EVO, Epic, Droid X, Droid2, and Fascinate came out own Androids. The rest are iPhone and BlackBerry.

So when we ask how many Pre's we have seen in the wild, it is probably just as important to ask how many Pre's you have seen recently in the hands of salespeople.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Out of curiosity - where do you live? Apart from the people I personally know, I see a Pre in the wild about once a week (living in Munich, Germany, the hometown of O2). That's not much, but it's more than never o_O
    I live in San Francisco and I have honestly never seen a Pre "in the wild" here. I have however seen like one Pixi, it belong to some tween.
    Hmm, I find Android to be rather mediocre at best. Its success lies solely on the shoulders of a few good business decisions and not much more. Quite simply, Google leveraged its power onto the phone manufacturers and somehow convinced them that Android is going to change the face of mobile. So when you couple Google's tremendous power in the technology world with the price to license their mobile software (free), you have a sure receipe for success.. at least from a business perspective. Once Google had everyone on board convinced that Android was IT (ie: manufacturers + carriers), then the real development began. If you noticed, Google/Android hardly had anything to offer when the G1 came onto the scene, aside from the 'benefits' of a revolutionary new 'open' OS. In fact it was quite inferior. However, aggressive development efforts began and the G1 version of Android became the stepping stone to the Android we know today.

Google and the Android-powered devices it helped spawn may have a lot of 'muscle' but I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a pretty lackluster operating environment, and nothing special per se. But Google is powerful..
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 09/28/2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Though i disagree with many of your statements, what makes Android now mediocre and your OS of choice amazing?
    Folks, Android - as you know it on smartphones - is NOT FREE. Free Android is the laggy garbage on Chinese KIRF iPads with no Google apps or Market access.
    IMO I just think its all about what works best for you. Again like most statements each OS has its strengths and weaknessess.
    Fullly agree with the above. I just really get annoyed with the Android is ugly or clunky.

Like, what is so ugly about:

Its icons on a homescreen...i just don't understand how its any more or less ugly than iOS or WebOS. If you want to boil it down to apps to apps, yeah a lot of apps on android don't follow some common UI schemes. I'll agree on that. But if you ever used windows i'm sure we're all used to that haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Fullly agree with the above. I just really get annoyed with the Android is ugly or clunky.

Like, what is so ugly about:

Its icons on a homescreen...i just don't understand how its any more or less ugly than iOS or WebOS. If you want to boil it down to apps to apps, yeah a lot of apps on android don't follow some common UI schemes. I'll agree on that. But if you ever used windows i'm sure we're all used to that haha.
    Damn thats beautiful. Can you post your wallpaper please?
    I was gonna wait til end of this year but I got such a great deal in Amazon, I couldn't help it. I got myself Samsung Fascinate today. So far I really love it, I don't miss WebOS at all. 5 min to root the phone and I installed wifi tethering and it works great. And I was going to change my launcher but I am ok with samsung launcher. Get rid of all bing stuffs and put google. GPS is just amazing and all the apps that I am playing with, this is going to take several days.

So far I am enjoying my Yahoo FantasyFootball, Skype, Shazam (just toying around), GPS, google map, bunch of widgets and I found this apps that play all of my avi, I DON"T HAVE TO CONVERT MY AVI FILE ANY MORE!!!

Oh I forgot, I got the ventrilo app, it's just amazing!

Now I am going to play around with remote desktop app. Oh boy, there's so much more I can do with this phone, I am so freaking happy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Though i disagree with many of your statements, what makes Android now mediocre and your OS of choice amazing?
    Android to me just feels like a giant clusterf**k of icons and home screens and out of place widgets. It also seems to lack, i donno, personality or something. It feels very rushed to me.. like Google just HAD to compete in the mobile marketplace so they bought this fledgling 'open' OS, quickly whipped it into shape and WHAM-O! We're in the game!

I don't know, I just don't like how it's completely dominating the market. And I think its only doing so because of the tremendous power of Google who have somehow managed to arrange that a vast majority of smartphones sold nowadays are running their OS. Maybe I'm just philosophically opposed to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Android to me just feels like a giant clusterf**k of icons and home screens and out of place widgets. It also seems to lack, i donno, personality or something. It feels very rushed to me.. like Google just HAD to compete in the mobile marketplace so they bought this fledgling 'open' OS, quickly whipped it into shape and WHAM-O! We're in the game!
    While all current OSes surely can (and will) add more features, I wonder how you can say all those things about a very complete and stable OS (by today's standard) while defending one of the most (if not THE most) incomplete OSes in today's market?

...I just don't like how it's completely dominating the market.
    Nevermind. I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    While all current OSes surely can (and will) add more features, I wonder how you can say all those things about a very complete and stable OS (by today's standard) while defending one of the most (if not THE most) incomplete OSes in today's market?
    When did i defend any OS?

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Nevermind. I understand.
    It is dominating the market because Google forces it to. Marketing plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Damn thats beautiful. Can you post your wallpaper please?
    Honestly...i'm not sure. It came with the custom ROM i'm using. I'll dig in the SD card and see if i can find it

It is dominating the market because Google forces it to. Marketing plain and simple.
    Thats a huge assumption. Everyone i know with current android devices love them.

They must just all be sheep huh?

I don't know, I just don't like how it's completely dominating the market. And I think its only doing so because of the tremendous power of Google who have somehow managed to arrange that a vast majority of smartphones sold nowadays are running their OS. Maybe I'm just philosophically opposed to it.

Lacks personality? You can set up your phone any way YOU want to. I don't get what you mean a cluster ****** of icons? What phones doesn't have pages of icons? Widgets? Its your decision to use widgets or not to use widgets. I don't see how a widget is out of place if you are the one setting it up. I've seen android devices with no widgets and just icons. Hell, make a few folders and separate your apps like that.
    Google bought the company Android in 2005...before the iPhone even came out. They obviously wanted to come into the phone game as well...yes the early views of Android are very different then what they are today, but obviously the market changed with the iPhone so of course any smart phone maker would make changes to align themselves with ideas of the new market.

I'd down talk 1.6 an lower android OS..but the state it is in now is fantastic.
    How exactly does a company force a product to dominate a market?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    At the end of the day it just comes down to your preferences what's best for you. I got a Pre on launch day and I loved it until it started to slow down on me and lag like crazy. When the Evo came out in June I jumped on it. I rooted it with Fresh Custom ROM and set my widgets/icons just the way I wanted them to. But even after setting my phone the way I wanted it, I still missed WebOS. Some folks on here say that its clunky after using it for a few minutes or so, i'm saying that its clunky after using for a 3 whole months. What's weird is I can't really tell you whats so clunky about it. Apps and Menus open up instantly but it just wasn't a smooth experience(hope that makes sense).

I ended up selling my Evo this month and I purchased the Pre again. I hate the tiny screen, small keyboard, and the so-so hardware but the software for me is wonderful. Whats sad about WebOS is that if it wasn't for the homebrew community a lot of us would have moved to another OS. I can only imagine how this phone sucks for people who have no clue about patches and kernels. You really can't blame them for going to Android. It does the stuff out of the box that I have to patch for my pre. I love tinkering with my phone though so patching and what not is fun to me.
    Well yeah basically it comes down to what you like....having used my Pre for over a year and now over a month on my Evo I def. like both. I'll say the UI elements of the WebOS and WebOSs SDK i like more than Android. However the usability of android 2.1 and 2.2 are just beyond where WebOS is currently.

That may just be my thought but hearing a lot of clamoring for Flash or document editing by people who love WebOS and then hearing them trash talk Android....makes really little sense.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast