Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    I own an Archos 5 Internet Tablet (I am aware that it runs 1.6, but I do have the maeket hacked onto it so I have a great grasp on Android) and I play extensively with Droids and the Evo.

Also please notice that my original post was about the OS more than hardware. I understand the Pre's hardware is outdated, but my solution for that works for me. I use the Faster Cards animation Patch, Overclock to 1ghz, and carry a spare battery. I own a total of four batteries so even if I forget to charge a spare one night I usually have one to grab in the morning.
    But the problem is that you don't just buy an OS. An OS does stuff. Runs programs. Runs on hardware. Integrates with other services. Presumably, you buy a smartphone to do these things and not simply to admire the typography or iconography or cards.

So when you say WebOS is better than Android, you're not simply comparing 1.4.5 to Android 2.x. You're comparing ecosystems, even if you leave the hardware out of the equation. An OS is a means to an end, not the end itself.

Palm and HP are welcome to work on the hardware and software as much as they like before relaunching it. They should take the proper amount of time to get it right. But every day that they are not in the market actively competing, Android acquires value-add propositions like this. This is stuff that makes it harder for current users to leave, and makes it more attractive for people frustrated or bored (or both) with WebOS to "defect" as Mr. Sood puts it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I have a question. For those that obviously have switched to a Android device why do you hang around Precentral? Out of all the boards Cross Platform is only active on Precentral.
    I never "switched". I own a Hero. I own a Pre. I will probably own a WP7 phone on Sprint as well. May even pic up an Epic. I don't understand why you wouldn't want perspectives different from your own in this forum. It's not like Brain Mantis is some troll who wants to preach the glory of Android at all costs. He's posting - appropriately - in a subforum precisely intended for conversations of this nature. If people don't want to hear about the merits of other devices, maybe you shouldn't click on the subforums under the heading called...uh...Other Devices.
    I have a question. For those that obviously have switched to a Android device why do you hang around Precentral? Out of all the boards Cross Platform is only active on Precentral.
    Much like every forum, you develop relationships with the members. Because I don't own a Pre anymore, doesn't mean i don't enjoy visiting here and gain new news.

I also visit android central regularly. Hell, i still go to Mazda forums even though I sold my car 2 years ago.

But why not come to the Cross-Platform Chat if you have experience....cross platform.
    Why is accessing additional information considered a bad thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Why is accessing additional information considered a bad thing?
    Because Palm fans have become much like the people they hate. Apple fans.

Seriously, the amount of *****ing about people talking about other devices in the OTHER DEVICES section of the forum is whacky.

I mean, they are obvious people who are trolling but you know what, this is the area they could probably get away with it as long as they are on topic. if i went into the general Pre discussion area and started talking about the Evo i'd expect to be banned.
    Does it really matter whether "they" do %hang around" PreCentral?...like somebody posted above me...this is a place for information as well. I don't own an Android, Iphone, BlackBerry, or Windows Mobile based device but I still visit the other forums. I enjoy finding out what's going on with "all" the different platforms even with my WebOS bias.
    Honestly, i think its because precentral has a better community than android central (because there are so many devices). So a lot of us came from the Pre with high hopes and at least want to discuss our experiences on the "next best thing" on Sprint (or whatever carrier you are on).
    Also, WebOS is stagnant, and new hardware and software announcements are being made every day for other platforms. So that's what we talk about. I mean, you can only laud Uberkernel, Preware, and Angry Birds so much.

When HP starts unleashing hardware and hopefully announces some content partnerships....everyone will want to talk about that. Whenever that is....
    no need to get your panties in a bunch. It was a simple question and observation that cross platform is not active on other boards like androidcentral.
    At AndroidCentral there's already a lot of "cross platform" discussion among the various Android phones.

But you have to remember that Pre|Central's cross platform forum is shared by TreoCentral's cross platform forum and at one time Treo Central was one of the largest, dedicated smartphone technology sites on the web. Like Mikah says, there were a LOT of posters who congregated there for device tech information from across the interwebs. Many of us are still here today.
    You should asked the editors who run this site because they are still here and Pre/Pixi webos is not their only device/OS...many of us have more than one Device. I also perfer Android over webos and thats a personnal thing and your more than welcome to visit Androidccentral.
    Last edited by kinster02; 10/02/2010 at 05:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    One thing that many people out there don't realize is that the Pre Plus with F105, SR71, or UberKernel is fully competitive with the other devices out there with Android or iOS 4. 1GHz with 512MB of RAM....sounds pretty competitive to me. Now, if HP was smart, they would have done a very simple upgrade to the Pre Plus, make 1GHz the standard frequency, and make it a bit thicker with a bigger battery. That is all that would be needed to make something that is easily on par with the other devices out there(except for the screen size issue of course).

If people see the marketing saying, "1GHz Processor with 512MB RAM, 16 gigs storage", they will see it as being competitive, and will give it another look. If you provide some extra reinforcement to the keyboard slider(beyond the improvements in the latest AT&T and Verizon Plus builds), no one will be able to complain about build quality as well. At that point, with some MARKETING, the new updated phone would sell fairly well.

You would not believe how much attention the Blackberry Torch got due to the advertising that was out there....and the Torch is really a Palm Pre clone with Blackberry OS on it and a different brand name. So, put some ENERGY behind the existing products, and you would see a LOT of attention by the general public. Throw in an OMAP 4 dual-core processor plus SD card slot, and you have something that would do even better. Make the screen bigger and keep the vertical slider(with the improvements I suggested), and you have a phone that could dominate the market if hype is put behind it.

Advertising....
    Others have said they are reinventing the smartphone, but here is something really different....

The physical keyboard that professionals want.....

Multi-core processor, for multi-tasking on your phone the way you have always wanted....

Synergy, to connect you between your e-mail, social networking, and the rest of the world.....

Plenty of storage for applications, pictures, music, or whatever you want....

Automatically backup your data to the web, so you never have to fear losing your information.....

From the company that made the leading PDA, Palm, we bring you the true evolution of the smartphone.

That is the sort of thing we should have seen all over the TV and online to hype the Palm Pre or at least, the Palm Pre Plus once all the initial problems were fixed. And what did we get? A creepy lady set of ads, or "Life moves fast", promoting the name Palm without really showing the PRODUCTS that they were trying to promote.

So, WebOS is better, we know this. The gesture area is MUCH more natural than hitting buttons once you get used to not hitting buttons of course. HP/Palm just needs to get people to realize this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    One thing that many people out there don't realize is that the Pre Plus with F105, SR71, or UberKernel is fully competitive with the other devices out there with Android or iOS 4. 1GHz with 512MB of RAM....sounds pretty competitive to me. Now, if HP was smart, they would have done a very simple upgrade to the Pre Plus, make 1GHz the standard frequency, and make it a bit thicker with a bigger battery. That is all that would be needed to make something that is easily on par with the other devices out there(except for the screen size issue of course).

If people see the marketing saying, "1GHz Processor with 512MB RAM, 16 gigs storage", they will see it as being competitive, and will give it another look. If you provide some extra reinforcement to the keyboard slider(beyond the improvements in the latest AT&T and Verizon Plus builds), no one will be able to complain about build quality as well. At that point, with some MARKETING, the new updated phone would sell fairly well.
    I guess you don't use the top-level iOS and Android devices because if you did, you would realize that 1ghz UberKernel does NOT make a Pre Plus competitive. The bottlenecks are within WebOS, not the clock frequency of the processor. iPhone 4 is actually underclocked, I believe, to about 800 mhz, and its the smoothest, most responsive smartphone on the planet, IMHO, precisely because its OS is completely optimized for the hardware. Try an Epic 4G or Evo 4G, and you will see apps opening instantly too. You don't need a faster cards animation patch, glowing cards or other tricks. They actually. open. instantly. Their photos apps show photos instantly. Their Google Maps work instantly. They boot up in less than half of the time. So on and so forth.

You would not believe how much attention the Blackberry Torch got due to the advertising that was out there....and the Torch is really a Palm Pre clone with Blackberry OS on it and a different brand name. So, put some ENERGY behind the existing products, and you would see a LOT of attention by the general public.
    LOL. That's not the kind of attention HP wants. ATT has already publicly said they're disappointed in the sales, and it just launched!

Part of the reason is precisely why a renewed push for the Pre would fail: a 3-inch 480x320 screen is absolutely not competitive with high-end handsets in this day and age. It's a joke. And the Torch screen is slightly bigger than the Pre.

Throw in an OMAP 4 dual-core processor plus SD card slot, and you have something that would do even better. Make the screen bigger and keep the vertical slider(with the improvements I suggested), and you have a phone that could dominate the market if hype is put behind it.
    Define "dominate the market"...

Advertising....
    Others have said they are reinventing the smartphone, but here is something really different....

The physical keyboard that professionals want.....

Multi-core processor, for multi-tasking on your phone the way you have always wanted....

Synergy, to connect you between your e-mail, social networking, and the rest of the world.....

Plenty of storage for applications, pictures, music, or whatever you want....

Automatically backup your data to the web, so you never have to fear losing your information.....

From the company that made the leading PDA, Palm, we bring you the true evolution of the smartphone.
    Sounds a lot like a combo of Verizon's commercials after they retired the "Mom" campaign and the current Blackberry Torch commercials. You really want to adopt the advertising of two products that sold horribly?
    This is supposed to be the forum where users compare different platforms. That is the definition of this forum.

I have a Pre and an EVO.

We have begged Palm for 15 months to do any of our 300+ patches. Palm has implemented 6 patches. We have been told that it was not becuase of anything we did. They just happened to be doing those anyway.

Android includes 130 of our top patches and patch requests:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

So Android will listen. Palm has ignored us. Check out that list.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/21/2010 at 08:38 PM.
    i have Pre Plus and my wife has Droid Incredible and most of my friends got Iphone. I am very dissappointed with Palm. I feel like WebOS isn't polished OS. I believe it designed very well but it's not complete. I am hoping for 2.0+. My contract will be over soon, around January. If I don't see or hear any concrete date of new device and 2.0+ webOS, I am definately dumb Palm to go to either Iphone or Android, maybe even Microsoft new phone. And once I moved on, I doubt I will ever come back to Palm again.
    Last edited by passlogix; 09/21/2010 at 03:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    "Wait, what? What is so good about Android? The only thing that I find that is any good related to Android is Verizon's marketing. Android is an ugly interface, yes I have used the Evo, yes I went and looked at the Epic the day it came out.

I do like the competition with Android, but I just don't see it's appeal.
    I don't see how you can say its an ugly interface. Android is probably the most customizable mobile OS made to date. Makes no sense to say anything about the interface. Not to mention that each manufacturer has its own interface onto it so it varies phone to phone.

Verizon's marketing def helped in bringing some numbers. But like others said there was not many devices out there besides a cpl on T-Mobile so imo just having the phone on a HUGE provider like Verizon and of coarse Sprint the 3rd largest went ahead to boost sales.

I own both but will be dropping my Pre....I honestly have no use for it even though I originally loved webos and dropped it because of the hardware.

The big appeal is variety and app selection...Android has many apps for free while I haven't found anything much for free from webos.

Both are fairly great OS's but idt webos can come anywhere near what Android has/will do.

Edit: One thing I would like to add about fragmentation of Android...obviously a small problem for some of us forum junkies and tech but I see a whole bunch of ppl with Android who don't even know they use Android. Soccer Moms with Moments, old, young and idt they even know what version or that their are different versions out.

^ ^ that imo is another reason Android will and is so successful...its just everywhere and getting these phones in hands of everyone promote app development.
    Last edited by Cheeko318; 09/21/2010 at 04:46 PM.
    In my whole year of owning a Pre (6 June 09 - 4 June 10) and until this day I have not seen one other person in the wild with a Pre/Pixi anywhere.
    WebOS is the BEST!! I'm here till the end baby!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    In my whole year of owning a Pre (6 June 09 - 4 June 10) and until this day I have not seen one other person in the wild with a Pre/Pixi anywhere.
    Out of curiosity - where do you live? Apart from the people I personally know, I see a Pre in the wild about once a week (living in Munich, Germany, the hometown of O2). That's not much, but it's more than never o_O
    I made the jump to Epic, and while I love my Pre, had to tweaked to the max (wouldn't ever kept it this long without all the wonderful people in this forum who work endlessly and thanklessly), it just doesn't perform like the Epic.

So many of the tweaks are on it out of the box, the programs and useful apps to do things I wanted/needed to do.

So do not say we are sheep, we are people with money to spend on things we need. If one phone outperforms another, makes my life easier everyday, which is the reason I buy these, our votes with money count.

Palm/HP needs to read this. Palm gave up when trying to sell. HP has many other things on the burner and will take time before they release a phone, they are stupid if they don't, because if they blow this next one, it will be a sinking ship. Many like myself will watch, might come back, but they won't get another chance. Yes, they are losing people like me, but if they come back with subpar hardware, just to get a phone out there, it would be worse than waiting and making a splash to show "we are back and serious.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Out of curiosity - where do you live? Apart from the people I personally know, I see a Pre in the wild about once a week (living in Munich, Germany, the hometown of O2). That's not much, but it's more than never o_O
    His location says Hawaii. I stay in SC and I have only seen 2 out in the wild since launch.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast