Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, After moving out of state I found I had terrible Sprint service at my new address. Somehow the old lady got us out of the contract and I had to lay to rest my Sprint Pre. While shopping for a new phone and carrier, we ended up on AT&T. Now I need to decide which phone.

I opted for the Pixi Plus which was free as opposed to the $149 Pre Plus. I like it a lot, the form factor, pocketable, a nice keyboard for longer emails. However I am missing my ol' Pre, namely the bigger screen and a few more apps and possible tweaks. To complicate things further my wife, also a former Sprint Pre user, jumped to Iphone 4 and is really pushing for me to do the same.
    Question: should I stick with the Pixi, pay up for the Pre, or give in to the better half and get the Iphone. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated,
    advantage to iphone would be you can facetime with wifey... pre is great but iphone is cool too especially if you jailbreak...
    I'd switch to the iphone. While your intentions to stay with webOS are noble, the iphone is more current hardware and a nice phone too. Maybe you can come back when new hardware finds it way to ATT. Gman's point about facetime is worth the change too.

If in the end though a free phone fits your budget better, then hello Pixi +.
    Is your Pixi getting the job done? Do you like saving money? Yes? Then you already did what is best for you.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate all the frank responses. Just another point I absolutely need tethering when I travel a few times a month which is done nicely via hot spot w/ palm. Iphone charges the $20 per month for the use.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post

Ps. The iphone is not a better phone than palm pre/plus. More apps doesn't mean better. :-D
    More apps is just the tip of the iceberg though.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldog View Post
    I appreciate all the frank responses. Just another point I absolutely need tethering when I travel a few times a month which is done nicely via hot spot w/ palm. Iphone charges the $20 per month for the use.
    Or use MyWi with the iphone?
    I dunno, i don't think i could recommend a Palm Pre plus over an iPhone 4 for more reasons than just apps.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    You could have gotten a free Airave and kept the much cheaper Sprint plan.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Why is she pushing you to get an iphone?

I carry both (iphone3gs) but my primary phone is the Pre.

My wife uses the iphone4 and the "multitasking" annoys me to no end when I have to use it
    You could buy one at AT&T's no-commitment price, Pixi $230 or Pre $300. It costs about the same as the iPhone4 w/2-year commitment and you'd have your contract upgrade open when a new webOS phone is released as people are speculating it will be in the next few months.

You could also check craigslist in your area to see if anyone is selling a good Pixi or Pre for AT&T. Though I personally don't think I would buy a used Pre because it just seems more fragile, the Pixi is certainly something I'd consider buying used if I was waiting for a new device release to get with a contract-commitment. In fact I'm actually currently looking for a used Verizon Pixi to replace my gf's blackberry since she's still on contract and is really developing a lot of hate for blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    You could buy one at AT&T's no-commitment price, Pixi $230 or Pre $300.
    Craigslist, ebay, a friend, sure. I just can't see $230-$300 making financial sense for these two devices.
    Nope. I sold mine for $125 with a touchstone and i thought i ripped the guy off.
  14.    #14  
    You could buy one at AT&T's no-commitment price, Pixi $230 or Pre $300. It costs about the same as the iPhone4 w/2-year commitment and you'd have your contract upgrade open when a new webOS phone is released as people are speculating it will be in the next few months.

You could also check craigslist in your area to see if anyone is selling a good Pixi or Pre for AT&T. Though I personally don't think I would buy a used Pre because it just seems more fragile, the Pixi is certainly something I'd consider buying used if I was waiting for a new device release to get with a contract-commitment. In fact I'm actually currently looking for a used Verizon Pixi to replace my gf's blackberry since she's still on contract and is really developing a lot of hate for blackberry.
    Was actually looking into doing this. AT&T told me I have 30 days to buy/pick a phone at the discounted contract price otherwise I lose the privilege.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Have a Fyr's local? the one by me has the Pixi no-commit for $200. They were out of Pre's though
    Quote Originally Posted by oldog View Post
    Was actually looking into doing this. AT&T told me I have 30 days to buy/pick a phone at the discounted contract price otherwise I lose the privilege.
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a quick question, but is this how AT&T works? When you are due for an upgrade, you must get it within a certain timeframe? Honest question because I think I'm misunderstanding your post.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a quick question, but is this how AT&T works? When you are due for an upgrade, you must get it within a certain timeframe? Honest question because I think I'm misunderstanding your post.
    Signed up for family plan 9-2-2010 as new customer on a family plan. Asked if I could save my new phone discount for down the road and provide my own phone for now. Reply was you have 30 days to opt for a new phone at discounted contract price, after that no discount is provided. As far as future upgrades such as 1 year from now, I can't comment on that.
    Now that seems off. If you don't sign up for a contract they shouldn't be able to just say you can't have a contract later.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Once your commit is done, you're eligible (acutally, after about 18 months unless your a tier 1 customer) There is no time limit for the upgrade that I'm aware of
    Now that seems off. If you don't sign up for a contract they shouldn't be able to just say you can't have a contract later.
    That's why I asked the question. From his answer, it seems AT&T is telling him he can take advantage of the offer "for the current contract" if it's done within the first 30 days. Doesn't seem like it applies to anything having to do with future contracts. <-- that's the part I misunderstood.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast