Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife and mother in law bought an android today. I tried to talk them out of it, but it was only half hearted. I didn't want them to get a device that was 16 months old, that I knew had a high probability of breaking (how many of us are on their 4th pre). I knew if they did, they would never be back to webOS. I also knew that if they got a pre they would want to do all the cool stuff they hear smartphones could do, and didn't have the heart to explain that "it would be coming, I promise". Also, my wife wanted a different form factor, horizontal slide, which we don't have. So I continue my ascetic smart phone journey on my own. (cue dramatic music now, slow pan back of the camera)

So I have been playing with android, and it is as bad as everyone says. What a dumpy OS! But, as trite as it sounds, apps, even on a dumpy OS make a convincing case. On webOS I can barely find one mostly complete task manager, in the android market I found dozens and dozens! When I was able to *speak* my todo item and see it appear in living text, I gushed in amazement.

I wish I had a different story to tell, I share this as a confession, perhaps I am sharing my pain, or perhaps seeking absolution.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    I definitely share your feelings on this. On the one hand i believe webos has a superior interface and is far more intuitive then android, but I also feel salty recommending near obsolete hardware. While i feel the software will catch up quickly when new hardware comes out, until then its hard to to put lots of effort into convince someone else to jump into long contract period with a pre.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I love webOS and I loved my Pre. I got a Samsung Moment when they came out, with Android 1.6 and it was terrible. I absolutely hated it. After swapping out two more Pre's, I decided to take another look at other options. I love webOS, but I'm sick of hardware problems.

I picked up an EVO with 2.2 and it is way better then my original experience. Do I miss webOS? Sure do. There are pros and cons to both however. As of now, I'm sticking with the EVO. There are enough apps and customizations available that I can get my phone to do what I need and like.

I'll be sticking with the EVO until new webOS hardware comes out. When that happens though, I'm sure I'll be back with webOS (unless the new hardware really sucks, lol)

I agree about recommending outdated, problem ridden hardware. I just can't recommend the pre anymore. Not with all the problems I've had, and everyone that I've told to get one.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    +1

I also find it hard to convience people to stay away from andriod and iphony. I still amaze people with my launch day Pre but it's just not polished enough. Even though WebOS UI kicks androids **** you can't get away from some of the most productive apps on a platform (lots of junk though). Just hope Palm can't get out of this awkward growth stage and be the shizz that all of us webos can and will be......hopefully sooner than later.
    I agree with OP.....my wife's old treo 800w was on its last legs it was pretty bad phone experience and as much i wanted her to have Palm Pre i just couldn't let her get an year old phone....so she got an EVO now.
    They did exactly what I and most would have done regardless of how much better webos may be the masses are not seeing Android as being dumpy and clunky and truth of the matter is no one is buying or wants to buy Palm or webos...you might say it not cool to own a Palm device.

I own both devices and I like them both but I prefer my Evo over my Pre. I tried to get friends to buy a webos phone all they would say is cool and buy something else and the one guy that did is ready to come back to Android in Oct after a few months of webos use.

What gets me is the touchstone and why no other manufacture is trying to make one...I guess it wasn't such a big deal after all. I would have to wait for Android 3.0 and Evo 2 compare against anything Palm comes out with before I'd buy another webos device.
    Last edited by kinster02; 09/14/2010 at 05:04 PM.
    I'm deathly afraid my launch month Pre will not make it to next spring. I don't much feel like wasting money and upgrading more then every 2 years. Never did before, don't feel like it now. It has 2 cracks, one from each side, getting closer and closer to the gesture area. Once they muck that up it's game over and I have to ask myself if I want to use a Pre for another 2 full years. It's fine now but I don't think I will feel that way in 2012.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    When I was able to *speak* my todo item and see it appear in living text, I gushed in amazement.
    This would be a killer feature on a mobile device, no question. I'm often in a situation where it's just not possible to pull out the keyboard but need to record a quick snippet of information. (I used to always carry a tiny voice recorder for just this scenario.)
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    This would be a killer feature on a mobile device, no question. I'm often in a situation where it's just not possible to pull out the keyboard but need to record a quick snippet of information. (I used to always carry a tiny voice recorder for just this scenario.)
    You can do this on Android on several apps.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm deathly afraid my launch month Pre will not make it to next spring. I don't much feel like wasting money and upgrading more then every 2 years. Never did before, don't feel like it now. It has 2 cracks, one from each side, getting closer and closer to the gesture area. Once they muck that up it's game over and I have to ask myself if I want to use a Pre for another 2 full years. It's fine now but I don't think I will feel that way in 2012.
    Why does getting another Pre lock you in to another 2 years, because you use an upgrade to get one from the carrier?

I have purchased 4 Sprint Pre's, never paid more than $150, one as little as $100, I just was patient, watched craigslist, when I found one close that sounded good, met them at Sprint, they checked it out, and I paid the man.

We have 3 in the family, one is an extra we keep around and don't carry insurance.

Have never had a single issue with any of them.

With 2.0, and Govnah/Uberkernel, I can last as long as it takes until new hardware comes out.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I'm curious how non geeks like android. The ones I know don't really know how to make the best of it, one didn't even know what a widget is.

I would recommend a pixi to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I'm curious how non geeks like android. The ones I know don't really know how to make the best of it, one didn't even know what a widget is.

I would recommend a pixi to them.
    Looks like an iphone. Has a web browser. Can view media and pics. This isn't rocket science. On many carriers, android devices are the only bigger slab phones. That's an easy win. It's like running for office with no opponent.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Looks like an iphone. Has a web browser. Can view media and pics. This isn't rocket science. On many carriers, android devices are the only bigger slab phones. That's an easy win. It's like running for office with no opponent.
    and how much do the non geeks you know like their android phone? I didn't ask why they picked android..
    palm/hp, can you say opportunity slipping away? Sad but true, webos will never be main stream.

I'm not buying another phone with an os that is not being supported by the big devs.

I don't care even if the next phone has awesome specs.....ok, maybe but not likely.

just my rant....
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Thanks for this thread. I felt like a traitor today.

So I went to Verizon with my mother today to buy her a new phone for her birthday.

My mother has only ever had a dumb phone but wanted to be able to text, check her email and surf the web. She told the rep that she wanted a phone with those functions and with a real keyboard. The rep took her to all the Android phones. My mother asked me what phone I had (she was impressed with my touchstone in the car lol). I told her that I had a Pre. The rep said something like "yeah we have those too'" but never showed them to her. My mom wanted my advice and as much as I wanted to tell her to get a webos phone, I just couldn't. I tried to talk her into the Pixi but she said it was too small. I showed her multitasking which she liked but in the end I found myself discouraging her from getting the Pre as much as I love it.

It has nothing to do with the phone being 16 months old. She wouldn't have cared about that but I am on my 4th Pre and I would never have heard the end of it when she was on her 3rd replacement Pre and I had to put a piece of rubber band under the power button to make it work.

My wife has an android os phone so I am familiar with it. I will set up my Mom's email and I bet she will be happy with it but I sure wish I could have recommended a Pre to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    and how much do the non geeks you know like their android phone? I didn't ask why they picked android..
    Don't confuse liking it with taking full advantage of it. I know a few non-geeks that love their device but don't come close to using it's full potential. Same is true for iPhone and webOS no? I mean, most of the users don't max them out either. It's just the way it is. And it doesn't meen they don't "like" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I felt like a traitor today.

So I went to Verizon with my mother today to buy her a new phone for her birthday.

My mother has only ever had a dumb phone but wanted to be able to text, check her email and surf the web. She told the rep that she wanted a phone with those functions and with a real keyboard. The rep took her to all the Android phones. My mother asked me what phone I had (she was impressed with my touchstone in the car lol). I told her that I had a Pre. The rep said something like "yeah we have those too'" but never showed them to her. My mom wanted my advice and as much as I wanted to tell her to get a webos phone, I just couldn't. I tried to talk her into the Pixi but she said it was too small. I showed her multitasking which she liked but in the end I found myself discouraging her from getting the Pre as much as I love it.

It has nothing to do with the phone being 16 months old. She wouldn't have cared about that but I am on my 4th Pre and I would never have heard the end of it when she was on her 3rd replacement Pre and I had to put a piece of rubber band under the power button to make it work.

My wife has an android os phone so I am familiar with it. I will set up my Mom's email and I bet she will be happy with it but I sure wish I could have recommended a Pre to her.
    I'd say you did the right thing by your mom. Doesn't matter that it was an Android phone, what matters it that it was a reliable phone. Had I known what I know now, I'd never have gotten the Pre for my mom. She's waiting on her upgrade. My cousin did the same with his mom. She went back to her BB before the 30 day trial period. She had smartphone experience, my mom didn't.

Oh well, the mistake will be corrected in just a few more months.
    with webos you don't need a task-manager.
    sorry but, I don't get it. With the palm profile (i had the early issues) and save/restore, why do people care if they have a speaker blow or something? The phone has a warranty for 1year from palm, you have your choice to deal with the carrier. And if you pay for insurance, then I guess you have an excuse to use it. They overnight a replacement device, how does that not rectify the situation? Sorry but I remember when cell phones, were not subsidized and if it died, oh well. 90 days, and they were like a grand.
    neither my sister, mother,nor my girlfriend have had smartphone experience, yet all have had feature phones crap out on them, MOST people have. I got them all pixis. Sister had to have a pre within 30 days of the pixi, she hasn't had an issue and believe it or not she has got that thing down. My gf and mom both like the pixi and are learning new things everyday it seems. All are happy with their devices and there is ins on each as there was their previous dumb phones.
    I know @ least 5 people with droids that had their screens pop out. 2 people with evos, both had the battery drain issue, like dead in 2 hrs on standby. Friends with iphones that I have to call back constantly, guess why.

lets face it, mass production sucks.
    Last edited by toyotast165; 09/14/2010 at 10:41 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast