Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The way I see it, the main issue with webOS is simply hardware.

Brilliant OS, even if a little undercooked. With the development resources of something like an iOS or Android, the really elegant and well thought out underlying concepts behind webOS would mature into a truly amazing mobile OS.

Unfortunately, Palm, even after the HP acquisition and its resources, just doesn't seem to understand that to stay relevant in this game, they need to release a new, better product at least every 9 to 12 months or so. Doing the Pre to then do the Pixi, and then the Plus versions of those just wasn't too impressive. Also, people don't really care about what OS their phones use. Only smartphone fanatics care about that. Most people could care less if it's an Android or iOS or Windows Phone. They just want a phone that works, doesn't need to be returned to the carrier every so often because of manufacturing and that feels cool. Most folks upgrade as soon as their carrier subsidizes a new unit and if Palm doesn't find a consistent way to push out new products often enough to always have a wow device every time someone's upgrade time is about to come up, they just won't be able to grab customers.

Heck, I love my Pre and believe that webOS is the best mobile OS, but I've been considering dropping my Pre for a new smartphone as soon as Sprint lets me upgrade. I was considering a Windows Phone, but supposedly it won't be on any CDMA devices until 2011, so I'll give Palm that grace period to have something announced but I'm losing interest here. What good is an amazing OS if the hardware it's on just can't keep up with it? And no, a tablet isn't going to keep me happy with webOS, HP. Phones now!
    I got pres for both my wife and I back in may. Neither of us had ever had smart phones, and my wife loved her friends Iphones and her iTouch. For 3 months my wife hated hers, and I love webOS. I finally figured out woqi and got preware on my phone and couldn't believe how amazing my phone became, when I was already astonished before. My wife was ready to switch back to her old dare and lose her data plan, thats how much she hated the pre. I told her to wait and let me put preware on it and speed it up a bit and see what she thinks.

Now she loves her pre, and comes home everyday showing me new themes or games, or patches and apps she has downloaded.

Truth is she isn't a tech geek like me, and she just wants something easy to use and work,not something she has to spend time to figure out or join and online forum to max it out.

The rest of us enjoy that aspect, and that is why we love webOS.

There is a reason webOS is in the minority, and android and iOS aren't. The majority of users out there aren't think for themselvers, they want what everyone else has, because its easy, its popular, and its socially acceptable, and compatible.

I have yet to run into another webOS user in person, and hardly talk to anyone about my phone. Noone, even my family who are tech geeks (apple, android and blackberry users) knows anything about webOS or the features it offers. None of them frequent online forums, or news sites.

I daily visit precentral, other webos blogs, as well as engadget (especially thanks to my app) and I enjoy keeping up with the other OS's to know what is out there and what is coming.

But I know I am in the minority, and I enjoy that. I'm okay with webOS never taking over the smart phone market, and would actualy prefer that, just so long as its sticks around. You see what the guys who have the corner on the market have, not much. Its guys like webOS that are forced to innovate and create something truly superior to make it in the market. Just look at Kia or Hyundai. Nobody ever thought they would last, much less produce quality products. Plagued for years with shotty "hardware" yet because of their lack of market share, they were forced to produce something new, unique, and high quality.

That is what webOS offers and I love it.
    How do you multitask on an Android device?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    Most folks upgrade as soon as their carrier subsidizes a new unit...
    No, not most. Most get a product that works and use it until they need something better. They do not upgrade just because a new version is subsidized. Only a small minority actually break contracts just for a new product or upgrade at every possible opportunity. What new units do is provide options for "new" customers or those who need new devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    You see what the guys who have the corner on the market have, not much.
    We must be looking at different corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    How do you multitask on an Android device?
    I'm guessing you are being funny here. But just incase you're not, try long pressing your home button and see what happens.

I must say, Palm has done a good job convincing webOS users that if you don't have cards you can't multitask. Fortunately, the rest of the population knows this is not the case.
    The way I see it, the main issue with webOS is simply hardware.
    I'd respectfully disagree. Not saying hardware isn't an issue. It Is. but for me the main issues are:
    1. poor music player/media in general (can't replace my ipod),
    2. lack of mainstream apps (i don't really play games)
    3. screen is not that responsive.

the hardware aspect is a given that it needs to be upgraded. So i acknowledge that. And poor build quality needs to be addressed. I just think you need more then hardware to compete. I think you can match EVO and Iphone 4 in hardware and my guess is you'll still get a whole lot of people going, "Meh. I already get that from the others. I've got little reason to change." Consider that the Palm Pre hardware was not exactly behind Iphone 3Gs hardware or the Android phone's hardware when it was release. It fell behind recently. So i think you have to ask if hardware wasn't obsolete when the original Pre was released, why didn't the phone sell well enough? And if merely bringing the hardware back to even with competitors will yield better sales a second time around?

These days consumers want the media aspect in addition to the enterprise stuff. a slick U.I. is needed but i don't think all things being equal it alone can sell the phone. and i think U.I of apple and android are good enough.

I look at the biggest smart phone seller and how they sell their phones and it's like first it was an Ipod (top music player) basically that could make calls, but they highlighted things like on the fly playlists, integration with a desktop platform of itunes to bring your media to the phone. later, genius. But their marketing highlight, Apps, Video playback, Movie downloads to your phone, then Video recording, Video Editing, Face time (video calls), HD recording.

I look at Palm and many seem to be half done ideas. they tried to piggy back itunes when they probably should have just made their own software that was at least compatible with itunes podcast links. They don't provide a music player that is good enough like with podcasting, gapless playback, bookmarking. I know it can be gotten other places but most people aren't ever gonna know what homebrew is unless they aren't getting what they need from Palm. And if that is the case i think there is work to do.

My 2 cents is they need to be highlighting Apps, the media, hd, music, video, video conferencing, as well as social networking and making a massive effort to get major companies to make apps even if it means funding maybe 60 to 100 major companies to port their iphone apps. All of that wrapped up in, as you said, bringing the hardware up to snuff. And in my opinion really need to exceed the hardware out now. 1080p recording, 64Gb storage, possibly on the software side, remote audio streaming. Full hd youtube and account access. a lot more features in the camera app. That kinda stuff. They need Wow! So far i'm not seeing it in 2.0. Hopefully it's just being kept quiet.

Most folks upgrade as soon as their carrier subsidizes a new unit
    just speaking for me i've had 3 phones in ten years. I usually only upgrade when my phone breaks.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/18/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Well remember the 2.0 news we know of is just based on the SDK. There could be more user improvements whenever its officially released.

But yea, the Pre's camera and lack of options is laughable....so is the mp3 player.
    Honestly, i'm not a programmer so i don't get why that makes a difference. And just for the record i'm not asking you to explain why i'll just take what you said as if it's true. But, i do get that this is NOT all there is tow 2.0. i'm just saying of what i know, i don't think what i've seen so far is gonna wow many people outside of the already dedicated Palm users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well remember the 2.0 news we know of is just based on the SDK. There could be more user improvements whenever its officially released.
    It has been my experience with Palm since the days of the early access program that there aren't many significant differences between the beta SDK and the official release.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    with webos you don't need a task-manager.
    Android on Froyo, you don't need a task-manager. I guess one reason is because they don't work now , 2nd reason, because there is no need now. Evo with Froyo, running smoothly and no lag here
    android is the most clunky os i have ever used, those that say different are lying, to justify in their own minds, buying it. webos is ten times easier to use out of the box. i have had my sprint pre for ten months and never had any hardware problems, my music player works great, with no lag. my camera works great.. oh, and lets talk synergy, webos runs circles around android.

in fact, webos is so great, even those that were disgusted by their palm experience, find the need to live on the the pre forums.... spewing their homerisms about android, in hopes of converting palm users, thereby justifying themselves... pretty sad really.... now off to enjoy my pre experience some more.....

toodles...
    Last edited by hatchettjack; 09/23/2010 at 07:52 PM.
    lol hatchettjack.
    lol, leave it to hatchettjack to show how WebOS trolling should be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    android is the most clunky os i have ever used, those that say different are lying, to justify in their own minds, buying it. webos is ten times easier to use out of the box. i have had my sprint pre for ten months and never had any hardware problems, my music player works great, with no lag. my camera works great.. oh, and lets talk synergy, webos runs circles around android.

in fact, webos is so great, even those that were disgusted by their palm experience, find the need to live on the the pre forums.... spewing their homerisms about android, in hopes of converting palm users, thereby justifying themselves... pretty sad really.... now off to enjoy my pre experience some more.....

toodles...
    Actually, I think every smartphone owner - not just Android - is envious of the Pre and WebOS. I think they sit alone in their rooms at night, crying and shaking, so very jealous of the joy of cards and patching. Everyone is driven so mad with this envy that they keep giving Sprint, ATT, and Verizon $200 and signatures on brand new contracts for rival devices...

...when they could get any Pre or Pre Plus for free AND get an HP gift card. How insane is that? To go through all of that just to justify their hatred...

....Man....
    A bunch of girls have said the pixi is too small for them too. Guess bigger is what's up.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    My gf has an Evo....i don't think grils are on the "tiny phone" phase anymore.

THey just drop their phones in their bags and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, I think every smartphone owner - not just Android - is envious of the Pre and WebOS. I think they sit alone in their rooms at night, crying and shaking, so very jealous of the joy of cards and patching. Everyone is driven so mad with this envy that they keep giving Sprint, ATT, and Verizon $200 and signatures on brand new contracts for rival

....Man....
    Well Rim just took your card system and put in on their new Playbook so we no longer have to worry about webos cards because Rim has it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post

toodles...
    There's no need to they are self converting daily.
    I have the EVO and the Pre and the WebOS is waaaay better. If HP/Palm comes out with a new hardware that compares to the EVO ill drop the EVO in an instant. i have the pre just to mess with it for now and actually use my EVO as the main device.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast