Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just got my wife a pre today
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Don't confuse liking it with taking full advantage of it. I know a few non-geeks that love their device but don't come close to using it's full potential. Same is true for iPhone and webOS no? I mean, most of the users don't max them out either. It's just the way it is. And it doesn't meen they don't "like" it.
    good for them. Usually the people that love their android have customized it a lot whereas the non geek users I know just tell me it's alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    with webos you don't need a task-manager.
    With Android you don't need a task manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    lets face it, mass production sucks.
    It does, but the issues with the Pre took mass production sucking to a whole new level. I know plenty of people who've had issues with devices across the board. I don't know many people, except for Pre owners, who've had upwards of 4 device replacements in less than a year. That's the rub.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Usually the people that love their android have customized it a lot...
    Which is one of the biggest benefits of having an Android device. The OS is built such that you can make it YOUR phone out of the box. HTC hit the nail on the head with their "YOU" commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    Just got my wife a pre today
    Enjoy the sofa.
    Which is one of the biggest benefits of having an Android device. The OS is built such that you can make it YOUR phone out of the box. HTC hit the nail on the head with their "YOU" commercials.
    This.

My gf wanted a Pre after i got mine last year. She started off, much like me...LOVING the device. Then 4 replacements later (and her last one being ****ty as well) she absolutely hated her device and made me realize she did (as if it was my fault she bought it).

I was ok with it as my hardware was alright by my 3rd replacement...but even I had to removed the rose colored glasses and realize WebOS is simply not polished.

I'm not blaming Palm for it as i enjoyed my year with my phone, but with nothing on the horizon and me sitting on my rebate, i bought an Evo. After my gf played with my Evo for a while she immediately wanted it, got it and has no regrets.

Neither of us have any hardware issues or dead pixels (all my Pre's had dead pixels) and even though I wouldn't classify her as a techie, she got into it, learned a lot of android in a short time.

I know my gf well, and she is not dumb by any means, but she is stubborn and won't fight with something.

If she can get/understand android in a day, its ridiculous that some people keep going on about how clunky it is.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This.

My gf wanted a Pre after i got mine last year. She started off, much like me...LOVING the device. Then 4 replacements later (and her last one being ****ty as well) she absolutely hated her device and made me realize she did (as if it was my fault she bought it).

I was ok with it as my hardware was alright by my 3rd replacement...but even I had to removed the rose colored glasses and realize WebOS is simply not polished.

I'm not blaming Palm for it as i enjoyed my year with my phone, but with nothing on the horizon and me sitting on my rebate, i bought an Evo. After my gf played with my Evo for a while she immediately wanted it, got it and has no regrets.

Neither of us have any hardware issues or dead pixels (all my Pre's had dead pixels) and even though I wouldn't classify her as a techie, she got into it, learned a lot of android in a short time.

I know my gf well, and she is not dumb by any means, but she is stubborn and won't fight with something.

If she can get/understand android in a day, its ridiculous that some people keep going on about how clunky it is.
    Cool. Do you know other non geek android users? I never said customization was a bad thing, just not for non geeks in my experience.
    Cool. Do you know other non geek android users? I never said customization was a bad thing, just not for non geeks in my experience.
    Take a look at the ratings for the EVO on Sprint. I assume not all of 96% that recommend the device are geeks.

I think the "Android is for geeks" line is just as crazy as the "iPhone is for simpletons" line.
    Take a look at the ratings for the EVO on Sprint. I assume not all of 96% that recommend the device are geeks.

I think the "Android is for geeks" line is just as crazy as the "iPhone is for simpletons" line.
    My aunt just bought a used Hero. It's her first smartphone, and so far she loves it. I don't even bother telling her about all of the crazy customization she can do. HTC's Sense defaults are more than enough, and she's not exactly tech saavy.

She could certainly love the Pre as well, but we're all on Sprint, and I cannot recommend a Sprint Pre to anyone at this point.
    My brother in law and his wife bought Evos on my recommendation. I loved the Pre (my wife still has mine after having a pixi), but couldn't recommend it to them at this point for many of the reasons discussed all over. They are far from geeky-they used their pre-evo phones for text messaging, phone calls, and a little bit of email. They wanted Iphones, but I convinced them to go with Sprint for the cost savings.

They absolutely love their Evos. The Sense UI is very pretty and user friendly (though not for me, I'm running CM6, a completely senseless rom). They have two free nav options, easy to use gmail, a good camera and picture application, tons of free popular apps, a great browser, and a big easy-to-read screen. There's no perceptible lag. They've used Qik and Fring to face chat with my daughter (their goddaughter) and loved the experience. Everything on the phone happens quickly- touch an app, it opens immediately-yes, even the phone app! They don't need to do anything out of the box to get great functionality. No rooting, no overclocking, no patching. Everything they want is there, plus a ton of stuff that they simply don't care to know about. They don't need to delve into any of the "ugly" Android UI that Pre lovers complain about and I, a phone nerd, somewhat enjoy.

The thing I like about Android is that it's as complicated as you want it to be. I've rooted, installed various roms, customized the heck out of my Evo-just like I did my Pre. Of course, doing all of that on the Evo is a tad bit more complicated than on a Pre, thanks to the great Pre developers (Jason, the Preware folks and others) and the simplicity of hacking the Pre; but it's also much less necessary on the Evo. I do it because I like to, not because I need to. On the Pre, I needed to OC and patch to get what I needed from the phone. On the Evo, I do it because it's fun.

My bro in law and his wife, like most average consumers, wouldn't patch or install preware. Instead, they'd be like my cousin, who I recommended the Pre to, and call me to ***** about the phone app lagging in spite of my having installed preware and uberkernal and not being able to hear out of the earpiece after using headphones. Then they'd ***** about not being able to get all the cool apps like on the Iphone or the Droid.

If anything, Palm should be worried about the non-geeky Pre owners they've turned off over the course of the last 15 months. The geeky Pre owners are the ones that have figured out how to make the Pre a much more useable phone.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

I'd rather assume non phone geeks wouldn't spend time rating a phone online actually. Never heard of the iphone is for simpletons line myself.

interesting to hear the android love from non geeks. I hear a like at the most.
    I'd rather assume non phone geeks wouldn't spend time rating a phone online actually. Never heard of the iphone is for simpletons line myself.

interesting to hear the android love from non geeks. I hear a like at the most.
    I think you're being unrealistic with that assumption. If non geeks don't rate things online, then why is it so easy to find ratings on everything from pampers to 2-way radios on places like Amazon.com? We can't have a good debate if you're just going to assume that anyone who prefer Android is simply a geek.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    we're on a phone forum. I meant phone geek. People who care and research a product are more likely to leave a review. A non phone geek doesn't care to put much research into their phone and not likely to write a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This.

Are hardware failures a common issue with Sprint Pres? I've never had a hardware issue with my Verizon Pre+.

As for your webOS comment, hardware failures are not indicative of how "polished" an OS is but rather of how well the hardware itself is being manufactured. WebOS could use some more "polishing" but to the same degree so could iOS. I can't speak for Android as I've never used an Android device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Are hardware failures a common issue with Sprint Pres? I've never had a hardware issue with my Verizon Pre+.

As for your webOS comment, hardware failures are not indicative of how "polished" an OS is but rather of how well the hardware itself is being manufactured. WebOS could use some more "polishing" but to the same degree so could iOS. I can't speak for Android as I've never used an Android device.
    Yes hardware has been an ongoing problem for Sprint Pre's.

The term polished is actually the wrong term...i mean, it just was obvious it feels like a beta OS (and still does).

Honestly, a lot of the patches I installed when I had my Pre should've been stock features. Default calender to month view? really i need a patch for that?

Honestly, i don't regret buying my Pre, loved the device, and was probably the best phone on Sprint a year ago. But I think looking at other OS' WebOS really does need a lot more work from its current state. The polish of the OS is actually the good part...its a very beautiful OS.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who hasn't had hardware problems with my original July 2009 Sprint Pre? In our family the only time we've had to replace one of our four Pres is when one was fallen on jumping a block wall and the second was dropped too many times. Both had to be replaced because of a cracked screen.

In the same time my oldest stepson has had to replace his iPhone four times. Twice for cracked screens, once for a broken power switch and finally because the mother board died. I don't hear him complaining about lousy hardware.

I do have to admit that even with over clocking performance is still laggy. Love webOS, looking forward to better hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    No...not to the same degree.

There is no native mapping application. WebOS doesn't have landscape email. In fact, most apps are limited to just one orientation. We're talking stuff like Where? and Pandora that has been in the App Catalog since day one, 15 months ago. Boilerplate cut/copy/paste menus are still left in apps that don't actually have anything you can cut, copy, or paste. It's still an advanced beta OS that was never finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyo View Post
    Am I the only one who hasn't had hardware problems with my original July 2009 Sprint Pre? In our family the only time we've had to replace one of our four Pres is when one was fallen on jumping a block wall and the second was dropped too many times. Both had to be replaced because of a cracked screen.

In the same time my oldest stepson has had to replace his iPhone four times. Twice for cracked screens, once for a broken power switch and finally because the mother board died. I don't hear him complaining about lousy hardware.

I do have to admit that even with over clocking performance is still laggy. Love webOS, looking forward to better hardware.
    Just browse this board, the majority of people have had to replace their Pre at least once. I'm not speaking on any other phones right now as I have owned in the last 4 years, a Treo 750p, Blackberry Curve, Palm Pre and my current HTC Evo.......Treo i never had to replace. Blackberry curve i lost like an ***** and got an insurance swap, but then i had to replace that one because the screen wasn't uniformly colored. But then i was fine, my Pre, i replaced it 4 times. My girlfriend replaced hers 3 times, my best friend replaced his twice for the same issue.

There was just a common sense of **** that breaks in a Pre:
    Wobbly slider
    Power Button
    Battery cover cracks

It sounds like they improved some parts on Plus models but all the above i've seen in person and also speaking to Sprint Reps.....they are not surprised when people have to replace their Pres. Hell, they don't even ask questions anymore, they just grab you a refurb.
    Yeah, the Sprint pre is just not made well. If you've had no problems you are in the minority. There were 4 Pres on my can plan. Mom is on her second. Wife is on her third. I did a whopping SIX replacements, now using an evo. Brother is on his first since he's ok with his missing usb door.

The issues are real and well documented. A Sprint store manager told me flat out that the pre was simply bad for business due to the high number of returns.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast