1.    #1  
    I was in an Apple store last night and was asking a rep if the FM radio feature was on the new iTouch, and they said that it was only on the nano. When the rep walked away, what appeared to be a techno geek standing near enough to here me ask the question to the Apple rep, said that it was on the iTouch, and iPhone chip but not enabled by Apple?

Its very well a make or break deal for me in deciding to get an iTouch right away, or waiting for a new WebOs device to finally appear.

Does anyone know anything about breaking that feature out if it is in fact disabled?
    It's an iPod Touch... but to my knowledge mostly everyone buys FM radio adapters.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I think the the disabled FM radio only does short range transmission like to your car radio while in the front seat. That's what I've heard anyways, never really went into it very deeply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    It's an iPod Touch... but to my knowledge mostly everyone buys FM radio adapters.
    what do you know about those ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    If you're talking about music, you can just pick up an app that will give you just about any station in the world. There is no need for a built-in tuner.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If you're talking about music, you can just pick up an app that will give you just about any station in the world. There is no need for a built-in tuner.
    and what if you want to actually listen to FM radio -- the kind that travels to thru the ether ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    and what if you want to actually listen to FM radio -- the kind that travels to thru the ether ...
    Sorry, my frame of reference is the iPhone and iPad 3G. you would definitely need a persistent connection. I'm guessing you have a phone. Why not just download a radio app for your phone?
    I bought a small FM receiver gizmo for my Touch -- w/shipping from HK it cost $10.

It works -- but only w/a wired headphone (not BT).

I got it primarily to listen to NPR's All Things Considered -- which isn't apparently available in podcast form.

Its less than ideal -- the manual tuning works -- but I don't know of any app that this specific gizmo interfaces with yet. My biggest complaint is that because the FM gizmo is attached to the Touch only through its connector, this makes it vulnerable to being disrupted if there's any flexing of the joint-- as happens inevitably when carried in a crowded fanny pack. Almost any knock or tiny twist terminates the radio -- and only repeated detaching and reattaching eventually restores it. Its effectively useless. In fairness it may be in part because of the inherent effect of the very thin Touch body which provides minimal support. It may also be a limitation inherent in using the "connector" as the connection for these accessories.

FWIW, there are a few alternatives out there that offer more utility for not much more -- (but could possibly have the same problems).

$17 FM Radio Receiver for iPhone Music Control Display - eBay (item 230469941028 end time Oct-30-10 06:57:16 PDT)

$39 Griffin iFM -- ( $25 ebay)

$59 Griffin Navigate -- (seen it sold for $13)

I may try the Griffin Navigate next ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/10/2010 at 04:13 AM.