Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I love my Pre Plus and WebOS, but I have also been curious about Android. One of the attractions of Streak is it's bigger screen for media consumption. Plus the fact that Android can reflow text when zoomed is a big plus. Having Opera Mini in EDGE areas also helps with browsing. I picked one up a used Streak that has Android 2.1 installed.

I feel conflicted. I love WebOS. Everything in my Pre is setup properly and works great. Seidio's large extended battery with Touchstone back mod also allowed me to use the phone without fear of running out of battery. But I felt that I wanted just a bit more out of the browsing experience. I feel as thought I am betraying WebOS. Anyone here have any thoughts or experience to share?
    There's no such thing as betraying webOS - you're a consumer and you should experiment. I don't see anything wrong with it
    you should be ashamed of your self !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Eh tu, Brute?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Thanks for the support Errade. I have no plans to completely abandon my Pre. In fact, I thought I might use my Streak in conjunction with my Pre using its mobile hotspot. I might use the Streak exclusively for one week to see how it fits my needs first though.

If Palm announces a new hardware, I have no qualms in jumping ship back into WebOS. In fact I waited over a year to get the Pre on ATT. During that time, I avoided the iPhone and any Android devices demonstrates my loyalty to WebOS. But that 5 inch screen is just too tempting for media consumption.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    You should get what you want.

A co-worker had a streak to test for a month or so and for me it was just too huge for a phone. Nice though if you are into watching video on the go.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    You should get what you want.

A co-worker had a streak to test for a month or so and for me it was just too huge for a phone. Nice though if you are into watching video on the go.

I may come to the same conclusion as you. But at least I can say I tried it and it was not for me. Don't knock it till you tried it, right?

I find myself using the Pre to read RSS, Twitter, SMS, and browsing more often than making calls. I wish I can using it to browse more. One of the things that would make browsing a better experience on the Pre is Opera mini. That compressed data delivery is just so much faster in non-3G areas. But Opera appears to have no plan to make a WebOS version.

I have no doubt I will return to WebOS. WebOS 2.0 looks mighty promising.
    You'll be back!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I know I will. I'm not a 2 or 3 devices person. Some people can just pop their SIM in and out of different devices and get on with their day. I like consistency. So I'm excited but a bit nervous because I don't know what to expect. I can already predict I will miss swiping up to close an app!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Got my Streak. Love the 5in screen for browsing, but there are several deal-breakers regarding the Android platform. First of all, it can't sync my Exchange contacts (this is on 2.1). Secondly, I can't believe the email app can't even do signature for Exchange accounts. I also don't like having to top on top of the screen for my notifications. I guess I was spoilt by WebOS's notification system.

The Android app market is a mess. The overall UI is just lack of polish. I immediately miss my Pre/WebOS very much. Everyone complains about the Pre screen size, but it's perfect for one handed-use. I really can't wait for the Pre to come with slightly larger screen and better hardware. I would jump back in a heartbeat.
    You don't have to wait for 2
    2. There are a bunch of email apps to consider like K-9. Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android:

http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=33254

Appbrain make the Android Market easy.

Your 120 favorite patches are also built in.
    I have been using a Droid X for the past few weeks to evaluate it for work. It's a great smartphone, but even with the 4.3 inch screen and faster hardware, I still grab the Pre 90% of the time if I need something.

I swear if people would use a webOS device exclusively for a week Palm would have a lot more market share. It's something that is hard to explain, like the Matrix.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    You don't have to wait for 2
    2. There are a bunch of email apps to consider like K-9. Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android:

http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=33254

Appbrain make the Android Market easy.

Your 120 favorite patches are also built in.
    But K9 wouldn't work with the exchange server I use. The inability to sync contact with exchange is also deal-breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have been using a Droid X for the past few weeks to evaluate it for work. It's a great smartphone, but even with the 4.3 inch screen and faster hardware, I still grab the Pre 90% of the time if I need something.

I swear if people would use a webOS device exclusively for a week Palm would have a lot more market share. It's something that is hard to explain, like the Matrix.
    I couldn't agree more. WebOS just feel polished compared to Android. I feel like I'm wading in jungle with Android. WebOS is packaged tightly. I'm not bad mouthing Android, but I love that things that are important, such as email works well for me on WebOS.

I'm trying to decide if I want to hold on to the Streak until it gets Froyo. If it still not up to my liking, I might just sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Got my Streak. Love the 5in screen for browsing, but there are several deal-breakers regarding the Android platform. First of all, it can't sync my Exchange contacts (this is on 2.1). Secondly, I can't believe the email app can't even do signature for Exchange accounts. I also don't like having to top on top of the screen for my notifications. I guess I was spoilt by WebOS's notification system.

The Android app market is a mess. The overall UI is just lack of polish. I immediately miss my Pre/WebOS very much. Everyone complains about the Pre screen size, but it's perfect for one handed-use. I really can't wait for the Pre to come with slightly larger screen and better hardware. I would jump back in a heartbeat.
    I have the Droid Indredible and it syncs my Exchange contacts and do signatures. All this before the Android 2.2 update. Your probllem maybe a Dell problem or use using the wrong app to view your exchange contacts.

On the Indredible, there's the People widget/app (HTC Mail) that merges contracts from multiple sources - Exchange, gmail, imap, pop.

The gmail widget/app only handles contracts from gmail.

You may need the find the Dell version of the People widget/app (HTC Mail) or use one of the Exchange apps from the Android Market - Tounchdown or RoadSync or one of the others.
    But K9 wouldn't work with the exchange server I use. The inability to sync contact with exchange is also deal-breaker for me.
    It finally dawned on me to just search AppBrain for "Exchange" and to search AndroidCentral for "Exchange" as well.

It looks like there are many email apps tailored for Exchange and the one that seems to be the favorite is Exchange Touchdown. Another favorite is RoadSync.

Have you tried Touchdown, Roadsync, or something like them?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    milominderbinder - thanks for the great links and suggestions! I will give that a shot. A final hurdle for me is getting used to soft kbd. I've tried swype, not a fan just yet. I just love the Pre's kbd... easy one handed use is easier with physical kbd. Maybe I'm just not a soft kbd person? Ha!
    milominderbinder - thanks for the great links and suggestions! I will give that a shot. A final hurdle for me is getting used to soft kbd. I've tried swype, not a fan just yet. I just love the Pre's kbd... easy one handed use is easier with physical kbd. Maybe I'm just not a soft kbd person? Ha!
    Try Swiftkey as well.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Try Swiftkey as well.

Great suggestion. I will give that a shot as well.