Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So maybe about two months ago I went through about 4 pres within the span of 2 weeks. All just hardware problems back and forth between repairs at the sprint store. As much as I loved my phone, I got tired of coming to the store, so when they offered me the choice to get a Samsung Moment, I took it.

Wow was that phone terrible. It had a decent processor and everything in it moved at a good pace, but I kept losing my internet access. Whenever I'd push that phone anywhere near close to as hard as I pushed my old Pre the phone would crap out and lose signal. I went through 4 of these phones and am now sure that its a design problem. If you push the internet hard enough it will die. Oh and the battery on the thing was horrendous. You think the Pre battery is bad, you haven't played with anything yet.

So after that I went on Craigslist and traded the phone for an HTC hero. On the plus, the battery problem was a thing of the past. The hero has very good battery management. However, this thing is just mind numbinginly slow. It freezes, the programs on it crash often. You can't type quickly on the onscreen keyboard because the processor can't keep up with you. As a former iPhone owner I could never understand why people didn't like virtual keyboards, well the hero showed me why. That and it glitches, often. I have a stereo bluetooth add on in my car, and whether not the hero will actually connects to it is a question only God knows. Oh that and it has no proximity sensor, so the screen doesn't turn back on when you pull your face away. They way you turn on the screen is by pressing the end call button so that's another hassle. Thankfully you can also turn on the screen by pressing the menu button. If you press it again though it unlocks the phone, which by the way seems to be really easy for the phone to do to itself while in my pocket because i **** dial people often. The moment also had that problem. Overall I have seen android for all it's worth and I am sure now as I ever could be that I am never owning another google phone again. Even if I had a machine with the processor speed to handle the OS is just clunky. Bleh. Never again.

So today I bought a verizon Palm Pre Plus. I'll initially be using the machine for parts to resurrect my brother's Palm Pre that he ripped in half. Once I have that phone reactivated I'll be extracting the necessary tokens from it to then put the Pre plus back together but with my brother's communication board, and if all goes well I'll have a Palm pre plus, but on Sprint. Should be a ton of fun and I seriously cannot wait for the machine to arrive.
    Good luck and welcome back! Let us know how the "procedure" goes.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Oh I'll do my best to take pictures of every step. The phone I got I actually grabbed for cheep because it has a bad ESN and it has a chunk missing at top right, but my brother's display is golden so when I'm done, and if all goes well I'll have a Pre plus that looks like a pre.
    Out of curiosity why did you ditch the crapple phone?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Out of curiosity why did you ditch the crapple phone?
    Had no choice. My family was switching from tmobile to Sprint. I do sometimes miss the smoothness of the iPhone, but in all other aspects, webos is put together better.
    Just got myself an Epic 4G after using a Treo Pro (and Pre- on the side) and it's the one for me. Ever since i got on Google Voice, i've been looking for tight integration with Win Mobile and then webOS and they were just not there. Now, it's just seamless, baked into Android, gorgeous screen and processor (CPU and graphics) on Epic, performance is top notch (no OC'ing required), size is just perfect, the speaker is dang good, plus media performance blew me away (native DivX/XviD, MKV, 720p playback, even some flv's too, media streaming from PC/Mac with AllShare)...

I'm really satisfied with this phone. Battery is really good too. GPS with Google Navigation and CoPilot Live is great.

As for the Moment, to me it's like the Pixi being compared to the Pre (slower processor, therefore performance will be hampered vs on the Pre).

Only thing i miss about webOS is the I.M synergy client thingy.

My 2 cents.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    That is the only Android device that interests me. One question how does it feel to use Android/Samsung Touch Wiz after using WebOS which is well in a few words ´simple incomparable´?
    I recently had a similar experience, as I retired my old Pre for a HTC Hero. I didn't have any speed issues at all. in fact I think HTC probably has the best hardware on the market. It was Android I hated. I took it back & got a brand new Pre. I decided that WebOS is awesome enough to put up with Palms crap hardware. As a side note, this new Pre has much, much better build quality then my 1st Pre had.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I moved to an HTC Evo 4G. The one thing that Palm really nailed that no one talks about is the integrated SMS/IM like a previous poster mentioned. Other companies need to adopt that.
    Don't forget how trying to quickly multi task on an Android phone sucks, or the fact that you can't dismiss one notification at a time, only none or all.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Just got myself an Epic 4G after using a Treo Pro (and Pre- on the side) and it's the one for me. Ever since i got on Google Voice, i've been looking for tight integration with Win Mobile and then webOS and they were just not there. Now, it's just seamless, baked into Android, gorgeous screen and processor (CPU and graphics) on Epic, performance is top notch (no OC'ing required), size is just perfect, the speaker is dang good, plus media performance blew me away (native DivX/XviD, MKV, 720p playback, even some flv's too, media streaming from PC/Mac with AllShare)...

I'm really satisfied with this phone. Battery is really good too. GPS with Google Navigation and CoPilot Live is great.

As for the Moment, to me it's like the Pixi being compared to the Pre (slower processor, therefore performance will be hampered vs on the Pre).

My 2 cents.
    I never had speed problems with my moment. What problems I did have are GPS issues (I pretty much could never get any kind of a lock on my location if I was in a building at all), my internet randomly cutting out, the worst battery life I have ever had in any device ever, and over all I found android to just be a clunky OS. On top of that I knew none of these problems would ever get fixed because samsung doesn't regularly update their phones. From what i've been reading, samsung is still having issues with the GPS, I doubt the Epic has internet problems, but I played with their machine and nothing they did truly lessened my feeling of how clunky android is. It's just not intuitive. So I'm very happy for you that you have a machine that is running well for you and that you aren't having issues with your battery or GPS, but Samsung has lost my trust and I don't plan on ever buying one of their phones again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

My 2 cents.

One of my lines is a moment. Initially I liked it, but now after doing some trouble shooting for it I have realized it is just a pile of crap compared to the Pre. I am very hopeful of the Epic. Everything I want seems to be in the Evo and Epic. Epic also has the full standard keyboard that I need. Can't wait to go play with it at the Sprint store. I know the integration will not be as smooth as in the Pre, but at least I will finally have useful apps :-). Only really annoying thing is I bought my Pre a year a go and don't want to drop another $200 for another phone. Hopefully Pre's are still in demand for resale, which will help off set the cost of the Epic. Knowing me I will probably wait a few months until more reviews are in.
    Last edited by hoo.haaa; 09/12/2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Indeed the Epic blows the Pre out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoo.haaa View Post
    One of my lines is a moment. Initially I liked it, but now after doing some trouble shooting for it I have realized it is just a pile of crap compared to the Pre. I am very hopeful of the Epic. Everything I want seems to be in the Evo and Epic. Epic also has the full standard keyboard that I need. Can't wait to go play with it at the Sprint store. I know the integration will not be as smooth as in the Pre, but at least I will finally have useful apps :-). Only really annoying thing is I bought my Pre a year a go and don't want to drop another $200 for another phone. Hopefully Pre's are still in demand for resale, which will help off set the cost of the Epic. Knowing me I will probably wait a few months until more reviews are in.
    There's also Adroid Central. If you're not already checking it out, you may want to use that forum to consider your new choice. The people on Precentral are largely Pre enthusiasts or Pre bashers who are previous Pre owners who have now made other choices, but come to this forum to convince others that they should leave too. Not a good place to come to get information for choosing between two Android devices.
    free speech you heard of it rite.

Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    There's also Adroid Central. If you're not already checking it out, you may want to use that forum to consider your new choice. The people on Precentral are largely Pre enthusiasts or Pre bashers who are previous Pre owners who have now made other choices, but come to this forum to convince others that they should leave too. Not a good place to come to get information for choosing between two Android devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    free speech you heard of it rite.
    Where did I imply free speech wasn't okay? I simply advised the poster that if he is really deciding between two Android devices, Android Central would be the best resource forum for that option. If he/she just wants to chat, this is the right place. But people giving him advice like Epic rocks or Pres are old, isn't really helpful for his/her decision making.

You have heard of simply being helpful haven't you. Please do likewise and simply point the poster to resources that may assist them.
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    Don't forget how trying to quickly multi task on an Android phone sucks, or the fact that you can't dismiss one notification at a time, only none or all.
    That's why you don't use android phone for notifications. I am using it for internet and apps. Texting and emails are done on pre
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  19.    #19  
    The epic is amazingly fast. I'll give it that. But over all the more I used it the more annoyed I got. For example, the phone has 512 megs of ram. Awesome. However, when I played with one at a sprint store and looked over its memory statistics of that 512 megs of ram only 60 was currently free and the machine was barely running any user applications. The rest of the memory was either lost to the void or wasted by all the bloatware that is constantly running on all android machines. It's little things like that that turn me off of android. On their own they can be over looked but there are a lot of little annoying aspects to android that when conbined make the os completely undesirable.
    In general, don't go by demo phones as they do not represent typical usage. This is true for all platforms.

As for the memory void, the way Android manages memory is different from webOS in many ways. One such way is that Android handels when an app is removed from memory based on the needs of the system. The memory is certainly not lost to the void. When additional memory is required, it is reclaimed from lower priority apps. So when you see only 60MB available, it does not mean you cannot launch an app that required more memory.

WebOS tends to require a user to close apps if there isn't enough memory available. This is when you get he famous Too Many Cards (TMC). That is one way to handle it. Rather than give a TMC error, Android will simply reclaim memory by closing lower priority apps.

Which way is better is a personal preference I guess. I loved throwing cards off the top of the screen when I was done with them on the Pre. On my EVO I simply love not having to worry about closing apps at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast