1.    #1  
    So I decided that it was time to get new phones for both of us. I was still using an old Samsung Blackjack, but it did everything I needed and some. I used to do WinMobile development, so that's why I had a WinMo device. I've since moved on (new job), but kept the phone (this was 3 years ago). I've been out of contract forever (and grandfathered into a $20 unlimited data plan) with AT&T, but finally decided to move on.

I did a lot of research and playing with the different phones. One thing I knew I wanted was a real keyboard. I just couldn't get used to the soft keyboards. When the Droid 2 was announced, I decided that was the phone for me. At the same time, I started trying to talk my wife into a smart phone. She didn't want one, saying her Razor was just fine. I kept at it and finally, probably in an effort to shut me up, she said OK. The iPhone was never really an option; I just didn't like the Apple lock in.

I had already done the research and knew that Android probably wasn't going to work for her. It was fine for me because I'd set it up just the way I wanted it, but there's no way she would do that. So I decided on a Palm Pixi Plus for her. From what I'd seen and used, WebOS was very friendly and it would handle anything she wanted to do.

An order was placed and they came in a couple of days. To my surprise, she had opened the package to get a look at her new phone. She was actually a little excited about it. That completely caught me off guard. She didn't do anything with the phone, just opened it up.

When I got home, I opened up both boxes and plugged them in. While charging, I activated both phones (Verizon). The Pixi was a simple single button click to call and activate. The Droid 2 was also a single button click, but I had to listen and press 1 to activate. Not sure why it was different.

So while they were charging, I started to set up the email accounts (both LDAP). I started with the Pixi and I was very impressed with the ease of operating it. It just felt right. I switched to the Droid 2 and it just felt more complicated. Not that the setup was difficult, but it wasn't as intuitive.

After the initial charges, I played around with both phones. Now, I'm coming from a Blackjack, so I'm used to that form factor. That probably clouds my judgment a little.

Palm Pixi First Impressions
    The Pixi is very light and just feels good in the hand. The keyboard is tiny, but it still manages to be very usable. It's not much bigger than the razor closed! I can't get over how easy it is to use. It's very intuitive. The cards methodology is pure genius. This is something I'll have no problem giving my wife.

Droid 2 First Impressions
    This thing is heavy. The size is fine (it's actially thinner than my Blackjack and only a tad longer), but you know you're holding something substantial. First take on the Android OS is not as good. There's a lot going on and it's a little confusing at first. After having used the Pixi, I keep swiping backward, but it doesn't work. The back button needs to be used instead. This Motoblur launcher, configured out of the box, has all kinds of things going on. This isn't going to work and I'll need to take some time configuring this thing.

After 3 days of use.

Palm Pixi
    My wife loves the thing. I've downloaded some apps and set everything thing up for her. She spends a lot more time on it than I thought she would. She even started telling me about new functionality she's found. I can pick it and up and just start using it. Even coming from Android (and WinMobile), it just feels right. I still love the form factor and size/weight.

Droid 2
    I ditched the Motoblur launcher and went with LauncherPro. Much better. I've setup my work (Exchange) account and it's working great. My LDAP account isn't working right with the same mail reader; It's just not syncing on a regular schedule. I download K9 Mail, and that's much better. I'm OK with using 2 different mail apps because I don't want to combine home and work anyway. I would have liked to have used one application though, but that's not happening at the moment. I'm downloading applications like there's no tomorrow. I used my Droid 2 for Yahoo Fantasy Football Updates during the Saints/Min game, instead of having to lug my laptop down stairs. Very nice. I have my default home screen setup perfect and can swipe to other, less used, home screens when needed. Nice.

Bottom line.

Droid 2
    Android is way ahead in applications, and configurability out of the box is very good. I'm having a lot of fun downloading new apps and trying them. If I don't like them, I just have to uninstall them in 24 hours and I don't get charged. Very nice. The Droid 2 is heavy, but size wise it actually really nice. The keyboard (slide-out) is very good. A must for me. I've tried using the soft keyboards and always slide out the real keyboard in frustration. I'll be keeping this one. It'll replace my blackjack and will also replace me Garmin Nuvi 365 once I get a car mount. I'll be tinkering with this thing for a while to come.

Palm Pixi Plus
    WebOS 1.4.5 is superior to Android 2.2 in usability. That's an easy call. Android, at least on the Droid 2, is not there yet. I couldn't give an Android device to my wife and say here, use it. I can (and did) give a Palm WebOS device to my wife. She's picked up on it's use with no problem and is actually going much further with it than I thought she would. The App catalog, while plenty for my wife, would leave me wanting. I downloaded Angry Birds for my Android and love it. I went to download it for my wife's Pixi and couldn't. Huh? I know it's there, but some bug is keeping me from it (and others). It'll be a happy day when that's fixed.

I was genuinely surprised by WebOS and the Pixi. I wasn't expecting much, but I can say with a straight face that I'm jealous about my wife's Pixi in several ways. I would much rather be carrying the Pixi in my pocket than the Droid 2. It's just about perfect in size and weight. I'm also in love with WebOS. It's something that you don't appreciate until you use it. I'm sure I'll come to love the Android way of doing things, but it'll taking me longer than WebOS did. I hear the next version of Android will focus on usability. Hopefully they took a look at WebOS.

I'm an Android user right now, but I'm definitely watching (HP)Palm. I'm excited for WebOS 2.0 and any new devices. It's won't take much (3rd party application support) to make my next phone be WebOS.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I had to share my experience. The Pixi and WebOS has impressed me that much.

John
    Very comprehensive thoughts there, and many of the same thoughts I have had.

I came from Windows Mobile and love the usability of WebOS, but miss some of the extreme customization possible with Windows Mobile.

Now if WebOS could adapt a bit of the customizablity of Android and Windows Mobile with the ease of use of WebOS, that would be killer.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Nice write up.

I have a Pre and my wife has a Pixi. While I appreciate the larger screen (and would like a larger one), the Pixi is probably one of the most pocketable phones out there. I usually take her Pixi when I go out running just because I don't even know it's there. It really is a nice little device.

My wife also loves it. It's the first phone I've ever gotten her that she doesn't hate. She's on it all the time which is quite unusual for her.
    Thanks for sharing your unique, unbiased perspective on both devices! Interesting read.

I presume you're not on Sprint? Most other carriers haven't released the 1.4.5 update yet, which is why you're unable to install Angry Birds and other PDK apps at the moment.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It feels good to hear some genuine observations and comparisons on both competing platforms and I agree completely with most of your observations.

P.S: I thought the 1.4.5 was already released for Pixi Plus on Verizon so you should b able to download Angry birds
    Google poached Palm's user interaction engineer Matias Duarte during the buyout, when Palm's executive levels were emptied out and reseeded with HP-selected people.

So yeah, Android is waay behind the curve in usability now (I cannot help but think of WinMo every single time I use it... so powerful! But oh so clunky!) but that might change at some point. Maybe Google will even decide to entirely rip off webOS' UI, add a few special things of their own, (just like Nokia and Intel did for MeeGo - plagiarism a high form of praise) and call it a day.
    It wouldn't surprise me that much; and I'm certain that people would think that Palm stole from Google, and would buy Android devices with yet more gusto.
  7.    #7  
    We're on Verizon and her Pixi has been upgraded to 1.4.5. I haven't looked up the reason yet, but a lot of the PDK apps are not available for the Pixi. Angry Birds is not there. It might have something to do with the resolution difference?

John
    on the angry birds side note, I think they said that it wasn't available yet for the pixi...
    Thanks for your unbiased observations and comparisons. I feel that the selection of a cell phone is a very personal decision that must be based on an individual’s needs and preferences. I am happy that the Droid 2 is working out for you and the Pixi for your wife.

Being on Verizon myself, I can sympathize with your some of you observations on how different platforms work differently with Verizon services. WebOS 1.4.5 is now available from Verizon on the Pixi in most locations, but Verizon still hasn’t released WebOS 1.4.5 for the Pre Plus (my phone). I don’t know if there is an Angry Birds version available for the Pixi Plus.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    one of the best comoarisons I've seen. Thank you. I wish they'd put tis on the front page.

hp needs to do a 'if you try it you will love it' ca,paign because once you have the card system, you can never go back.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Awesome post, I had a similar experience except I got a pre first and gave her a Pixi a few months later. I think I can speak for almost everyone here and say we're all waiting on a superphone specced WebOS device to launch.

And yes, Angry Birds does not have Pixi support yet as of today on Sprint Pixi. The best thing we can do is send a nice e-mail to the developer and say we want to give them money and Pixis make up a good 30-40 percent, maybe even more, of WebOS land! There's 3 Pixis at my workplace, and one Pre (mine). Last time I went to the mall I saw 2 Pixis and one Sprint Pre.

anyways, sorry to digress! I can list some good free Pixi PDK apps and games if you'd like.
    the OP might want to return his droid to save his upgrade for the next palm phone just for fun. He can always get the droid back if the palm app catalog doesn't get the apps he is looking for by then. In fact, can the OP post a list of his 'must have' apps?

and, the op should get preware on his wifals pixi so she can play with themes and cool customizations. Pixi users report that uberkernel+govnah will give her a performance boost.

thanks again for the great info.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all the comments.

I did email the company responsible for Angry Birds. I mentioned how much I was enjoying it on my Android device and really wanted to be able to install it on my wife's Palm Pixi.

As far as the apps go, I wouldn't call them must haves. I can, and have, lived without them for a long time. They are more in the line of "nice to have". My must haves are Exchange Support (e-mail and calendar) and IMAP email support. Both of which I think the Pixi would handle with no problem. The other feature I'd miss on WebOS is the widgets. I love being able to see everything at a glance, I had this on WinMo, and have set it up on Android. Again, not a must have, but very nice to have.

Applications

-SlingBox Client - I had this on my WinMo phone and used it a lot.
    -Yahoo! Fantasy Football - I used to have to refresh a web site to keep up with my FF team. This client handles that for me and allows me to do everything I used to do with my laptop.
    - Google Maps (with Walking and Street view) - I'm not sure I'll use the extra features that Android has, but they're fun to play with.
    - Google Navigation - This will replace my Garmin 365 when I get a car dock. It's free and works great.
    - Google Earth - Very nice port of Google Earth
    - Google Sky Map - You hold it up to the sky and it shows you what you're looking at (stars). Just a cool app.
    - Skype - I won't use this much, but I do occasionally talk with someone in China (work related)
    - Barcode Scanner - I need to look for an application like this on the Palm Pixi. My wife wants it badly. Basically, you scan a barcode (with the camera) and it reads it and give you information about it. For example, I scanned the barcode for some cough medicine and it gave me a price comparison from various stores.
    - Kindle - I'm not sure I'll do much reading on my phone, but it's nice to have in a pinch.
    - TripIt - This is the trip planning web site I use. The mobile client will come it very handy. If you are planning any trips, I'd recommend this site. The emailing feature alone it great.
    - WDW Lines - We're going to Disney World in November. This app will come in handy.

I'm still looking through the market. One must have app for Android is AppBrian. It's an Android Market replacement and is MUCH better. I'm actually pretty impressed with what I've found on the Palm App Store. While it doesn't have the numbers that Android has, it would probably be enough for most people.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ydubs View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.

I did email the company responsible for Angry Birds. I mentioned how much I was enjoying it on my Android device and really wanted to be able to install it on my wife's Palm Pixi.

As far as the apps go, I wouldn't call them must haves. I can, and have, lived without them for a long time. They are more in the line of "nice to have". My must haves are Exchange Support (e-mail and calendar) and IMAP email support. Both of which I think the Pixi would handle with no problem. The other feature I'd miss on WebOS is the widgets. I love being able to see everything at a glance, I had this on WinMo, and have set it up on Android. Again, not a must have, but very nice to have.

Applications

-SlingBox Client - I had this on my WinMo phone and used it a lot.
    -Yahoo! Fantasy Football - I used to have to refresh a web site to keep up with my FF team. This client handles that for me and allows me to do everything I used to do with my laptop.
    - Google Maps (with Walking and Street view) - I'm not sure I'll use the extra features that Android has, but they're fun to play with. BFGMaps has street view.
    - Google Navigation - This will replace my Garmin 365 when I get a car dock. It's free and works great. Navit
    - Google Earth - Very nice port of Google Earth
    - Google Sky Map - You hold it up to the sky and it shows you what you're looking at (stars). Just a cool app.
    - Skype - I won't use this much, but I do occasionally talk with someone in China (work related) It's coming soon they say
    - Barcode Scanner - I need to look for an application like this on the Palm Pixi. My wife wants it badly. Basically, you scan a barcode (with the camera) and it reads it and give you information about it. For example, I scanned the barcode for some cough medicine and it gave me a price comparison from various stores. There are a few barcode apps, but they leave much to be desired
    - Kindle - I'm not sure I'll do much reading on my phone, but it's nice to have in a pinch. Kobo ereader app
    - TripIt - This is the trip planning web site I use. The mobile client will come it very handy. If you are planning any trips, I'd recommend this site. The emailing feature alone it great.
    - WDW Lines - We're going to Disney World in November. This app will come in handy.

I'm still looking through the market. One must have app for Android is AppBrian. It's an Android Market replacement and is MUCH better. I'm actually pretty impressed with what I've found on the Palm App Store. While it doesn't have the numbers that Android has, it would probably be enough for most people.

John
    added some stuff
    Until there is a WebOS device with an autofocus camera there will be no barcode app. Skype should be here whenever we get the mic API but with how slow carriers release updates that will probably be a whilr.
    I don't think Kobo would work in place of a Kindle app. The reason to want the specific app is that it syncs with your physical Kindle. If I'm out with just my phone, I'd like to be able to read a chapter of a book that I started on my Kindle. This is probably the one missing app that discourages me.
  17.    #17  
    The Pixi camera doesn't auto focus? Stange. I really don't care about the camera in my phone, but the barcode app makes good use of it.

Yeah, I don't think Kobo will work unless it has access to my Kindle library. As I said above, I doubt I'll do much reading on the Droid2, but it'll be nice to be able to if I want. The Pixi screen might be to small though.

So here's one more comparison. I ported over my phone numbers this afternoon. Fairly simple process. The Verizon lady said I'd get a text message letting me know when it was done and what to do next. She said it should take less than 3 hours, but could take a day. My Blackjack was deactived very quickly, so I figured it would happen quickly.

Palm Pixi Plus
    My wife was out when I did the number port. I sent her an email saying the phones might not work while porting and she replied OK. When she got home, she said she got a text message about the number port. Interesting...I didn't get a message on my Droid yet. So I took a look at her phone and did as the text message said to (dial *228 and hit 1). A minute later it was done and her number was ported. Easy.

Droid 2
    I wait past the 3 hours and still hadn't received a text message. The phone was working fine, but neither my old number or new (temp) number would ring in. I went up to the Verizon website and checked the port status. It said it had been ported successfully and to dial *228 and hit 1 to activate. Ok. I never got the text message, but no big deal. I did the activation and everything when smooth.

Then the Droid said it was shuting down. Hmmm, the Pixi didn't need to do that, but again, no big deal. After the reboot, I was presented with the new phone activation screens? Wait, what? So I put in my gmail account id and password again and skipped the demo. It booted up into a sparkling new Droid2 phone. All my settings, accounts, programs, and customizations were gone!!! Uhg. Luckily, reinstalling the apps was fairly painless. I downloaded AppBrian again and it knew what programs I had installed and reinstalled them all with 1 button push. All the settings in each program had to be redone! All my accounts (work exchange, home email) had to be set up again! All my widgets and home screens had to be redone!

After about 30 mins I think I'm almost back to where I was. I'm sure I've missed something though. I'm not sure it that's normal behavior for Android, but that sucked!

John
    webOS. No headaches. No sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    webOS. No headaches. No sweat.
    I'm guessing you have never been signed out of your Palm Profile at random, huh?