Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "We are PALM fanatics. Of course we hate the iPad. "

That sort of says it all, doesn't it?

Blinded by loyalty; dense to anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, I missing something here. Why is finding out what the top 100 iPad apps proof that iPad wins. It's no different than listing the top 100 apps or games for PSP, Pre, etc. It's just saying the top apps for that particular product. That doesn't indicate anything.
    The point: The iPad has many great apps and lots of them are exclusive to the platform. That's a reason it "wins". What is the definition of "wins"? I dunno. Just trying to give the OP some more ammo here for my entertainment, since his first post was about an app that was multi-platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    The point: The iPad has many great apps and lots of them are exclusive to the platform. That's a reason it "wins". What is the definition of "wins"? I dunno. Just trying to give the OP some more ammo here for my entertainment, since his first post was about an app that was multi-platform.
    Actually, that quote doesn't show great apps. It just shows which apps sell the most in that platform. There are also exclusive apps in any platform, including WebOS. That doesn't indicate any type of win. With have exclusive homebrew and patches that aren't in any other platform. I love Modeswitcher and DrPodder. I also love multi-tasking and the ease of WebOS. The Pre has an enjoyable platform for it's users. That's a win.
    Actually, that quote doesn't show great apps.
    It just shows which apps sell the most in that platform.
    You cannot be serious. I know at this point our little conversation is going nowhere.

There are also exclusive apps in any platform, including WebOS. That doesn't indicate any type of win. With have exclusive homebrew and patches that aren't in any other platform. I love Modeswitcher and DrPodder. I also love multi-tasking and the ease of WebOS.
    All that exclusivity stuff doesn't indicate any type of win, I thought. Isn't this your logic?

The Pre has an enjoyable platform for it's users. That's a win.
    Anyways, glad you enjoy your Pre. It sure is a "win." I do not know what this has to do with anything. Are all posts on this forum, especially one titled "Other Handhelds", that say good things about other devices automatically interpreted as Pre-bashing? I am not attacking the Pre, just saying why the iPad "wins." I do not know if it's the OP's intent, but as for me, I'm not even comparing the iPad to the Pre. It's not even a phone. And it's not a zero sum game. It's comparing apples to oranges. All I'm doing is saying it's a platform that customers and developers have responded to and it has sold a ton. To deny any of that is ridiculous.
    RIP Courier
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    You cannot be serious. I know at this point our little conversation is going nowhere.

All that exclusivity stuff doesn't indicate any type of win, I thought. Isn't this your logic?

Anyways, glad you enjoy your Pre. It sure is a "win." I do not know what this has to do with anything. Are all posts on this forum, especially one titled "Other Handhelds", that say good things about other devices automatically interpreted as Pre-bashing? I am not attacking the Pre, just saying why the iPad "wins." I do not know if it's the OP's intent, but as for me, I'm not even comparing the iPad to the Pre. It's not even a phone. And it's not a zero sum game. It's comparing apples to oranges. All I'm doing is saying it's a platform that customers and developers have responded to and it has sold a ton. To deny any of that is ridiculous.
    I'm sorry, I didn't take it as Pre bashing. It was just that a list of apps that are the top sellers in a particular platform doesn't make the device a winner. That was my point. Something that would make the iPad a winner would be user experience, speed, portability or something of that nature.

The iPad's cost keeps me from considering it when I could have a full blown laptop that does more for the same cost and all or most of the apps have a PC version. It's a one trick pony for the same cost as a full device. That's the reason I never purchased a Kindle. I love books and audio books, but I'd still have to carry other devices. I don't do games so there isn't much that lightweight, but stripped devices offer for me.

If the WebOS tablet comes out with a stripped version that doesn't match the capability of most laptops, I won't consider it either. Thus, it's not exclusivity that counts for me, it's user experience and capability of the device. I also never looked at NetBooks, because they were stripped down laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    As a Palm fanatic, what are you doing browsing the other handhelds sub-forum? I don't own an iPhone, and I've done more with my iPad than I have my laptop in the past couple months.

That includes: creating a few power points for investors, server administration/configuration and even software development with the many IDE's available for it. What has it not been able to do for you that you wanted/needed it to do?
    I don't waste time looking for a specific forum category. I just tap 'new posts' for the most up to date forum posts.

And as for what it can't do.... Utilize flash, copy CDs and Burn DVDs, allow me to use a flash drive to carry documents with me when I don't want to email them to myself, allow me to actually type a document with a physical keyboard, allow me to multitask with more than one app open and visible on the same screen, allow me to play WoW when I have the urge....

I realize you must not need these functions, but $700 is still a steep price to pay when I can pay $300 for a laptop that does all those things and more. Did you really think I couldn't find things you can't do with an iPad that you can do with a laptop?

iPad is cool,dont get me wrong. I'm buying the PalmPad when it comes out, but if it's over $400 then I wouldn't buy that either.
    The ipad will revolutionize, and most likely replace much of the desktop pc market. Wait and see.
    Waaaaat? That's just crazy. You need a computer just to use the iPad. It's tethered to iTunes. It might replace a laptop for people who did little more than games, media, and basic office stuff. That's obviously a lot of people, but Windows 7 has sold more licenses than there are iOS devices in existence combined.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    I don't waste time looking for a specific forum category. I just tap 'new posts' for the most up to date forum posts.

And as for what it can't do.... Utilize flash, copy CDs and Burn DVDs, allow me to use a flash drive to carry documents with me when I don't want to email them to myself, allow me to actually type a document with a physical keyboard, allow me to multitask with more than one app open and visible on the same screen, allow me to play WoW when I have the urge....

I realize you must not need these functions, but $700 is still a steep price to pay when I can pay $300 for a laptop that does all those things and more. Did you really think I couldn't find things you can't do with an iPad that you can do with a laptop?

iPad is cool,dont get me wrong. I'm buying the PalmPad when it comes out, but if it's over $400 then I wouldn't buy that either.
    Flash is overrated. I have it disabled on my computer and only enable it (click to flash) when I absolutely need it.

CD's, thumb drives, etc. are all a dying breed with everything going into the cloud.

Yes, you can use a physical keyboard through either a) dock b) bluetooth.

WoW on the iPad? "World of Warcraft" on the iPad with the Help of Gaikai
    Flash is overrated. I have it disabled on my computer and only enable it (click to flash) when I absolutely need it.
    Anything is "overrated" if you don't use it. I never thought about Flash much until this controversy began, and then I started noticing how I always needed it to look up a local/regional restaurant website or my wife's gym schedule to see what classes she could jump in tomorrow or this or that. It's still pretty ubiquitous and will be for some time to come. I don't see the point in paying to own any other browser - other than maybe the one on my phone - that can't see the Web in its entirety.

Especially if you're one the iPad's supposed target types - the frequent traveler who wants something easy to take on the road with him in lieu of his horrible laptop/netbook. Can you really think that every client site will be Flash-free or that looking up local businesses in whatever city you travel to will be a Flash-free experience?

This is usually when I hear about workarounds like VNCing to a traditional computer to see flash, or using a physical keyboard dock, or using some browser hack to maybe play World of Warcraft...kinda. And I just have to ask...why not pay less for the workaround-less real deal in the first place?
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Anything is "overrated" if you don't use it. I never thought about Flash much until this controversy began, and then I started noticing how I always needed it to look up a local/regional restaurant website or my wife's gym schedule to see what classes she could jump in tomorrow or this or that. It's still pretty ubiquitous and will be for some time to come. I don't see the point in paying to own any other browser - other than maybe the one on my phone - that can't see the Web in its entirety.

Especially if you're one the iPad's supposed target types - the frequent traveler who wants something easy to take on the road with him in lieu of his horrible laptop/netbook. Can you really think that every client site will be Flash-free or that looking up local businesses in whatever city you travel to will be a Flash-free experience?

This is usually when I hear about workarounds like VNCing to a traditional computer to see flash, or using a physical keyboard dock, or using some browser hack to maybe play World of Warcraft...kinda. And I just have to ask...why not pay less for the workaround-less real deal in the first place?
    I can't live without flash, yet. But like I mentioned above I do operate with it disabled as it drastically improves the performance of my computer and battery longevity. With that said however, I can honestly say when I browse the internet on the iPad I very seldom encounter a website that's rendered useless due to flash. Many websites have adopted the no-flash paradigm pushed by the iPhone/iPad. Pretty much any video you try to view these days can now be viewed in HTML 5.

Many don't see or understand this because when they view a site on their desktop, and it's based in flash they immediately think it wouldn't be accessible on the iPad or other non-flash device. What they don't realize is sites adopt to the platform/device. When you view CNN on the iPad for example, all videos are rendered in HTML 5, however when you view CNN on a desktop all videos are in flash (not sure why they just don't make them all HTML 5 as the difference is negligible).

I do travel quite a bit, at least 2 - 3 times a month and having the iPad for my travels has been a godsend. The form factor and battery life is what's key to me above all else. I also enjoy the simplicity, speed and 'always on'. I can literally take a weekend trip and not even need to worry about bringing my iPad charger, the battery life is that great.

What irks me the most about many is the rejection or dismissal of the iPad without having never even touched one, purely dismissing it on the "idea" of how it would be used or perform for them on a personal level.
    I can't live without flash, yet. But like I mentioned above I do operate with it disabled as it drastically improves the performance of my computer and battery longevity. With that said however, I can honestly say when I browse the internet on the iPad I very seldom encounter a website that's rendered useless due to flash. Many websites have adopted the no-flash paradigm pushed by the iPhone/iPad. Pretty much any video you try to view these days can now be viewed in HTML 5.

Many don't see or understand this because when they view a site on their desktop, and it's based in flash they immediately think it wouldn't be accessible on the iPad or other non-flash device. What they don't realize is sites adopt to the platform/device. When you view CNN on the iPad for example, all videos are rendered in HTML 5, however when you view CNN on a desktop all videos are in flash (not sure why they just don't make them all HTML 5 as the difference is negligible).
    And as I said, the dirty little secret is that Flash doesn't matter as much with the "big" sites as much as it does little ones like creative groups, restaurants, record labels, health clubs and so on and so forth. I've run into this repeatedly. They don't have the budget or inclination for an "iPad friendly" version of the site, and it's ludicrous to expect them to. They built their site for the Internet. If the iPad has trouble viewing that, that's the device's problem.

HTML5 is not a panacea. It's not even a video standard. Different browsers handle it differently, and it has no DRM for copyrighted material. Eventually, it'll be the basis for a much more robust Web, but it's not some amazing cure-all that web site owners just need to be "open-minded" enough to switch to.

What irks me the most about many is the rejection or dismissal of the iPad without having never even touched one, purely dismissing it on the "idea" of how it would be used or perform for them on a personal level.
    I have handled a couple, actually. My boss has one. At least three friends have them. I asked my wife repeatedly if SHE wanted one (we HAD an iPod Touch, but it died recently due to water damage). She said nope. I don't blame her. Even with someone like her who just uses a computer for media consumption and word processing, the iPad is still inadequate. She likes pulling up Chrome and queueing multiple YouTube videos and live concert spots. She doesn't want some "app" where she can can look at one, then have to exit out of that and search for another, and then continually interrupt what's playing anytime she gets an inkling to go do ANYTHING else. She often Facebooks while all this is going on. Not even the "multitasking" version of iOS on iPad would allow her to do these simple tasks. I bought her a robust netbook instead, and she loves it.

Now that's not to say either of us is diametrically opposed to iPad. With a price drop and some serious OS upgrades, I could totally see the value of having one in our house. But it'd be a solid waste of money for us right now.
    I'm still confused why some people on this thread seem to hate the iPad but plan to get the PalmPad. What's the advantage of the Palm version??
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I'm still confused why some people on this thread seem to hate the iPad but plan to get the PalmPad. What's the advantage of the Palm version??
    Here's why:
    http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post2656074

Some people would have you believe its analytical decision, but methinks we are talking strictly emotional here.
    I've no clue. I wouldn't want either right now. And definitely not from HP until i see a smartphone. Maybe that will change later as Apple updates iOS for ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    Alright, this guys a troll. Flash disabled? lie.
    Why is that so hard to believe? ClickToFlash on OS X and FlashBlock on Windows are godsends.
    It's an interesting dichotomy. The iPad, even with all its limitations, has caught on with millions of people in the marketplace. The PalmPad is simply a word with no actual device or capability to attach to that word.

In short, a group of people in these forums dislike a device for what it is (or for who made it in some cases) and love another fictional device because so far, it meets all their needs.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    Alright, this guys a troll. Flash disabled? lie. everyting going into the cloud (not for the near future),

I have an ipad. my girlfriends work gave them away as gifts. Its ok. Its nothing special though. It was nice to keep track of my fantasy football scores this weekend. But most of the time its just frustrating at the lack of usability. no multitasking, no flash, no usb. It really cant do anything that i need to do. Its just an expensive luxury item. no necessity whatsoever.

This is true story. She won a 2nd ipad at work. we gave it away b/c we dont use the one between us that much to begin with.

I don't lie. It's distasteful. And the cloud not happening anytime soon? Obviously you haven't been following Google.
    I confess. I too am reconsidering an ipad. All the following are so distasteful...

I don't like windows.

I don't like multitasking.

I don't like flash.

I don't like tabs.

I don't like Office or most business apps.

I don't like printing.

I don't like USB ports.

I don't like a lot of storage.

I don't like importing or exporting data easily.

I don't like creating content.

I don't like HDMI out.

I don't like typing quickly using a real kb.

I don't like cameras or webcam.

I don't like OTA updates.

I don't like reading outside.

I don't like high resolution screens.

I don't like proper HD.

I don't like owning media that can used on other devices as well.

I don't like just owning one but need a 3.5" version that does the same thing.

I used to own a laptop but then I realized I didn't really do anything that required one. All i needs is my ipod phone and my bigger ipod not phone. But i really can't wait to see a Palmpad. I hope they know what i don't like..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast