Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by previous View Post
    I have a 52 inch plasma tv with the same feed, why the hell would I watch it on an ipad? the ipad is a gimmick. Apple has been doing so much marketing for it because it really doesn't have a market share, and they are trying to force it down our throat like its as good as an iphone.
    And I have a 60" at home that I thoroughly enjoy watching my games on. But guess what. I'm not always at home every Sunday as I have to travel quite a bit. So whether I'm sitting in a hotel, at a coffee shop or on a train I can catch my games on my iPad, and it most certainly beats watching them on a 3.5-4" device.

iPad gimmick? Sales seem to point otherwise, with an estimated 23 million to be sold by next year. Also, many netbook manufactures have scaled back due to the iPad's success.

Just because you have no interest in it doesn't mean it hasn't been successful.
    I stay at hotels with tv's in them. Can't say i travel on Sundays much either. So far, i'm not seeing the appeal of it. I mean it sounds good on paper and all but the need to use such an app probably wouldn't happen. If i'm not home, i'll set the DVR.

What really sets the ipad apart though is that its the only device with a mobile OS ready (enough) for it along with apps. The android device makers have seen what apple has done and of course they want to get in on it and probably know how they want to do it, but first they need google's help. The fact that Apple is both the maker of hardware and software is even more significant for tablets.

I'd be more interested in a webOS tablet than an android tab for this very reason.
    Cardfan, what would make the webos tablet more useful than the iPad?
    From a basic consumer stand point, not much, but probably price. Maybe HP will make flexible underwear displays.

Openness? Flash? Multiple cards/apps? Synergy? to start....
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Having the ability to watch every game (even four games simultaneously) in its entirety on a 10" device in HD no matter where I am makes me ecstatic.
    Uh, just so you know, nothing seen on an iPad is in HD. Not enough pixels. Not even close, really. Every single bit of "HD" video viewed on iPad is downconverted with black bars into something closer to 480.

In other words, you get to watch about 7 inches ( of the 9.7-inch screen) or bland, regular, analog old school TV.

That being said, is there really a point to this other than Apple gets superior third party support with iOS? They should. They have the best app ecosystem and the best app store to sell it in. When Google decides to give a **** about something other than endless ad revenue, they may get around to whipping Android's ecosystem into shape too. Until then, Microsoft's got a surprisingly robust offering with the developer tools and awesome marketplace of Windows Phone 7, and they're paying to get some exclusives (at least in the game department), not mention apps like their Associated Press app aesthetically look miles beyond the equivalents on iPhone, Android, and WebOS.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    hate to burst ur bubble, but it's not free. Sunday ticket is like $400 for each season. AND it costs $45 for sunday ticket owners to add the mobile version. You do realize there are free links out there to watch every game on your mobile phone for free, right? See ustream. Op doesn't know what he's talking about
    I'm well aware of the costs associated, I've had Sunday Ticket now for 4 years and this makes my second year with having the Super Fan package (which allows you to access the games on your computer/phone/etc.)

I'm also aware of atdhe.net, justin.tv, etc. I appreciate the quality that DirecTV provides. I don't enjoy watching pixelated feed of the game while hovered over a laptop. If I'm at home, I watch the game on my big screen, if I'm not at home then I watch it on my iPad live in HD quality.

I kind of take football serious. I don't settle for "DVR'ing" it because that just takes a certain element of enjoyment away.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, just so you know, nothing seen on an iPad is in HD. Not enough pixels. Not even close, really. Every single bit of "HD" video viewed on iPad is downconverted with black bars into something closer to 480.

In other words, you get to watch about 7 inches ( of the 9.7-inch screen) or bland, regular, analog old school TV.
    Actually, DirecTV is feeding this in 16:9. I believe they're achieving this by scaling down the feed to 1024x576.
    the ipad is cool and all, but I don't get why your braggin about an app that can be had on any of the major mobile platforms. Shouldn't you have just picked an exclusive app for this thread?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the ipad is cool and all, but I don't get why your braggin about an app that can be had on any of the major mobile platforms. Shouldn't you have just picked an exclusive app for this thread?
    Okay, if you want some awesome exclusive apps then:

3. <- The coolest app I've experienced yet.
    4. <- The coolest game ever.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    iPad and tablets as a whole are a niche type thing. You can google search and find many people who got the iPad and now use it as a paper weight. Everything you can do on the iPad can be just as easily done on your phone or computer for no cost. Why spend another $700 for something that only increases you "cool points", it's just like every other Apple product.

iPad's success comes from the APP boom, not the actual item itself.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    iPad and tablets as a whole are a niche type thing. You can google search and find many people who got the iPad and now use it as a paper weight. Everything you can do on the iPad can be just as easily done on your phone or computer for no cost. Why spend another $700 for something that only increases you "cool points", it's just like every other Apple product.

iPad's success comes from the APP boom, not the actual item itself.
    Are you speaking for yourself or on behalf of the 4+ million people that have bought one in the past 5 months? If you say the iPad is a niche product (which it is, but at the rate it's selling, won't be for long), then what does that make WebOS considering the iPad has sold about 2x more in 5 months than Palm has WebOS in 1.5 years.
    Man this thread is a fail just like football.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Cardfan, what would make the webos tablet more useful than the iPad?
    If the webOS tablet was like 4", 720p screen, and had a phone app....

You know, basically a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    OP, you gotta try this again. You have to say This is why iPad wins: Top 100 best iPad apps | News | TechRadar UK
    Best free iPad apps - Pocket-lint
    Best iPad Apps List 2010

Round 2: fight!
    Okay, I missing something here. Why is finding out what the top 100 iPad apps proof that iPad wins. It's no different than listing the top 100 apps or games for PSP, Pre, etc. It's just saying the top apps for that particular product. That doesn't indicate anything.
    Okay, if you want some awesome exclusive apps then:

1. Hulu
    2. Netflix
    3. FlipBoard <- The coolest app I've experienced yet.
    4. Omos HD <- The coolest game ever.
    that's better. I'm just saying it's silly to brag about something that everyone can get. It's like bragging about having sex with a prostitute.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 09/11/2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    exactly... [url= - Mac - Which MacBook is right for you? - Comparison Chart[/url] 15" Apple i5 $1800 and $2000 for each flavor.
    Ok, I understand now. i5 in a Mac. I thought you were talking about the i5 in general.

I understand getting a Mac for Mom.
    And I have a 60" at home that I thoroughly enjoy watching my games on. But guess what. I'm not always at home every Sunday as I have to travel quite a bit. So whether I'm sitting in a hotel, at a coffee shop or on a train I can catch my games on my iPad, and it most certainly beats watching them on a 3.5-4" device.

iPad gimmick? Sales seem to point otherwise, with an estimated 23 million to be sold by next year. Also, many netbook manufactures have scaled back due to the iPad's success.

Just because you have no interest in it doesn't mean it hasn't been successful.
    success is a relative term here. The same argument can be made for summer blockbuster movies. The Last Airbender made well over $100 million if not $200 million (i haven't checked lately). That movie is being heralded as a success, even though it was panned by critics and moviegoers across the board.

$$$ don't always mean success. It just means it's been hyped enough to attract the I'll informed masses.

With that said, the iPad is an interesting device, but Apple's business practices keep me from buying it. That, and $700! Really? I can by a swivel screen Windows tablet for that much from Toshiba.

I'll be in line for a WebOS tablet though. :-)
    Last edited by Strikerage; 09/12/2010 at 03:51 AM.
    Are you speaking for yourself or on behalf of the 4+ million people that have bought one in the past 5 months? If you say the iPad is a niche product (which it is, but at the rate it's selling, won't be for long), then what does that make WebOS considering the iPad has sold about 2x more in 5 months than Palm has WebOS in 1.5 years.
    What's your point in coming to a forum that has a bias towards Palm to push an Apple product that most people here would rather use as a frisbee anyway?

We are PALM fanatics. Of course we hate the iPad. Good for you though. Have fun shelling out $700 for a device that does a few more things than your iPhone and less than half of what a normal laptop can do.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    What's your point in coming to a forum that has a bias towards Palm to push an Apple product that most people here would rather use as a frisbee anyway?

We are PALM fanatics. Of course we hate the iPad. Good for you though. Have fun shelling out $700 for a device that does a few more things than your iPhone and less than half of what a normal laptop can do.
    As a Palm fanatic, what are you doing browsing the other handhelds sub-forum? I don't own an iPhone, and I've done more with my iPad than I have my laptop in the past couple months.

That includes: creating a few power points for investors, server administration/configuration and even software development with the many IDE's available for it. What has it not been able to do for you that you wanted/needed it to do?
    Last edited by barkerja; 09/12/2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I am of course speaking for myself, I cannot speak for others.

Like I said, it's a niche product, even though 5 million people have bought doesn't mean it's not a niche product. Tablets are just a new craze in the "must have" world. Just like netbooks. Netbooks are great don't get me wrong but most of them can't do very much but check email and surf the web. That's there main purpose but after awhile people are going to want to watch HD movies, do this and that so why not spend a little more for a more powerful one?

The iPhone didn't sell the 1.5 million (I think) iphones like it recently did when it first came out. Yet again we go back to the APP boom which gave the iPhone the push it needed to really sell well and be a "must have" product for many people. Palm is a small company compared to Apple, so marketing and spending power are no where near what apple has. You comparing apples or oranges here.

I am going to stop here though since you seem to be yet another apple ****** who will not see reason to anything people say. You keep fighting the good ol fight for iPad, and keep the "cool" image you so desire.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast