Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm trying to compare the search features on webos vs android,

currently on webos, one can just start typing on the keyboard which will bring up apps, contacts, or a web search via google.

On android, does one have to launch an app then start typing?

also I've installed a patch on webos that allows me to search specific websites (.amazon, .ebay, etc...) which I found very useful.

Does android have anything similiar?

also looks like webos 2.0 will turn it up a notch with "just type", Im wondering if there's anything similiar in the works for android?
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm trying to compare the search features on webos vs android,

currently on webos, one can just start typing on the keyboard which will bring up apps, contacts, or a web search via google.

On android, does one have to launch an app then start typing?

also I've installed a patch on webos that allows me to search specific websites (.amazon, .ebay, etc...) which I found very useful.

Does android have anything similiar?

also looks like webos 2.0 will turn it up a notch with "just type", Im wondering if there's anything similiar in the works for android?
    Yes android does have universal search. If your Android device has a keyboard, just slide and start typing. If it doesn't, just tap the search button. You can also have it to search Apps, Browser, Contacts, Music, Voicemail, and other apps that integrate themselves within the search function. You can also remove certain categories to search from. So say if you don't want contacts to be in your universal search, just uncheck it in the search settings. You can also use voice to search.
    yeah, its a real full customizable universal seach.
    What they said....here is what it looks like when you go to the search settings:

It basically gives you a list of your apps and you can pick what universal search...searches. Furthermore, the search button when within certain apps will search within said apps. So if you are on your contacts page, hitting search just lets you search contacts.
    From the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android...

webOS Universal Search and even the webOS 2.0 Just Type are far behind Android Search. Android lets you include almost anything you want in your searches: Tap Home > menu > Settings > Search >Searchable Items. You can search by typing. Tap Search and just start typing something like...
    - • "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up. Tap the one you want.
    - • Start typing "oliv" and your friend Oliva pops up along with website like Olive Garden.

But just press the Search button for one second for Voice Search and just say your commands or search. Here is an Introduction Video. You could say something like: "send text to julia rashad I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4". Some prefer Vlingo for Voice Search.

For much more on Android Searching, see Getting Started With Android: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.

Also see the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android for a comparison of Multitasking, Notifications, Folders, and 120 Homebrew Patches built into Android.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/12/2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Voice search is how i start up navigation 99% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    +1
    Voice search seems like it would be cool to show people, or when I am at home alone, but for any other time I would be around people I think it would be annoying.
    I hope my commute on lightrail doesn't turn into people talking into their phones to search something. It's already annoying enough people having conversations on their phones.
    Don't really do it for google search unless i'm just alone in my apartment or something. But its easy and quick to do for navigation instead of typing it out.

Like going to a hospital out in Long Island this past weekend my gf who was driving was a bit lost...just whipped out my phone "navigate to Huntington Hospital"

Boom, within 4 seconds up and ready to go.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    From the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android...

webOS Universal Search and even the webOS 2.0 Just Type are far behind Android Search. Android lets you include almost anything you want in your searches: Tap Home > menu > Settings > Search >Searchable Items. You can search by typing. Tap Search and just start typing something like...
    - "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up. Tap the one you want.
    - Start typing "oliv" and your friend Oliva pops up along with website like Olive Garden.

But just press the Search button for one second for Voice Search and just say your commands or search. Here is an Introduction Video. You could say something like: "send text to julia rashad I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4". Some prefer Vlingo for Voice Search.

For much more on Android Multitasking, see Getting Started With Android: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.

Also see the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android for a comparison of Multitasking, Notifications, Folders, and 120 Homebrew Patches built into Android.
    Exactly what does android search have that won't be in webos 2.0? You sound like you know.

My experience with voice text from an android owning friend has been embarrassing for him when his text didn't make any sense.
    Don't really do it for google search unless i'm just alone in my apartment or something. But its easy and quick to do for navigation instead of typing it out.

Like going to a hospital out in Long Island this past weekend my gf who was driving was a bit lost...just whipped out my phone "navigate to Huntington Hospital"

Boom, within 4 seconds up and ready to go.
    Agreed. It's great, super fast, and convenient for directions-especially when in the car, driving (bad citizen...) or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Exactly what does android search have that won't be in webos 2.0? You sound like you know.

My experience with voice text from an android owning friend has been embarrassing for him when his text didn't make any sense.
    Android will let you customize exactly what universal search finds. Right now, i only have apps and contacts...but i could add calender..IF i wanted to.

its basically not just making you search everything even if you don't want to.
    Yep. Voice search, like anything else, is a situation appropriate tool. It works great in may situations and not so well in others. This is neither good nor bad. It's just the way it is. I've had an embarrassing message or two caused by my Palm Pre's word replacement in the past (with my EVO as wall by the way). I didn't take that to mean the keyboard was bad. It just wasn't perfect, and that's ok.
    even the webOS 2.0 Just Type are far behind Android Search.
    How did they reach that conclusion? its not even out yet for general public use
    IF this is used well this is the best feature of Just Type:

However the most exciting addition here are Quick Actions. This is another reason to rebrand Universal Search as Just Type - because it's no longer just about search. Just Type will be able to both search and initiate actions directly from the interface. So, for example, a developer could make a "Tweet This" Just Type action so users could type a tweet and send it all from the Just Type Interface. Sending emails, text messages, adding todo items, setting alarm reminders, making appointments... we imagine pretty much any text-based action could be initiated from the Just Type screen.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Android will let you customize exactly what universal search finds. Right now, i only have apps and contacts...but i could add calender..IF i wanted to.

its basically not just making you search everything even if you don't want to.
    we see that same functionality in the leaked webos 2.0 shots.

what I like about webos universal search is the ui of the results layout. It's not just one big list of links like what the bing commercials make fun of.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    we see that same functionality in the leaked webos 2.0 shots.

what I like about webos universal search is the ui of the results layout. It's not just one big list of links like what the bing commercials make fun of.
    Depends how they do it. They haven't told whether there will be a "Search" setting much like android.

It just said developers can make their apps searchable....if Palm doesn't implement an on/off setting, this just turns into iPhones search. Which is EVERYTHING.