Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Having 15000 applications even though most of them are useless does not translate into market share. Ringtones, wallpapers and all sorts of spam make up the Android app count. Before the Motorola Droid Android was not on the map and it wasn't until the Droid that the market share took off passing Palm.
    Yeah, must be why I had apps for Bank of America, eBay, Amazon, USAToday, Shazam and lots of other major corporations for Android before Droid was even announced. Because it wasn't on the map.

Don't be myopic.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You know those apps are just mobile websites right? There is a Bank of America app on the Pre. It's basically the same as just going to the mobile website. Those apps aren't anything to write home about either.
    Um, I've used the USA Today and eBay app on Android and I've used their sites on the Pre. It ain't the same, I promise you. I do think the BOA app is pretty much just the mobile website tweaked, but the others took some development effort and look way better and are more functional on that 480 x 320 screen than going to the mobile sites.

But if you don't think there's a problem that major companies only think of iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and now Windows Phone 7 when developing apps, I can say nothing to that. That's just a whole new level of zealotry where you dismiss pretty much anything WebOS doesn't have as something that's not needed.
    Piper Jaffray certainly seem to have a selective view of the market. Aside from not mentioning WebOS in their report they also state:

"we believe long term both RIM and Nokia will be share losers in the smartphone space because they do not have a core software competency."

While that may be true of Nokia, I am surprised that they don't consider Blackberry Enterprise Server a "core software competency".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Interesting ZDNet article about a Piper Jaffray report that predicts Android-based phones will comprise 50% of the smartphone market, iOS will account for 20-30%, and the remaining 20% of the smartphone market will be fought-over by RIM and Nokia. This all supposed to happen over the next 5 years. There is a minor mention that Windows Phone 7 may have a small window of opportunity to succeed in this turmoil. Interestingly, no mention of WebOS. ZDNet (and Piper Jaffray) seems to have a short memory.
    Anyone making company specific predictions about what's going to happen "over the next five years" should probably also open a palm reading (little "p") booth and deal tarot cards. No one is "expert" enough to predict what's going to happen in technology 5 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Have you actually ever held an Android device in your hand? Your comments are so inaccurate and hyperbole-filled that I feel like you're reading off some Larry Ellison talking points.

And here we go again with the mythical and mystical "WebOS Potential." In reality, WebOS has done nothing more than re-prove the certainty that an unfinished (but "high potential") OS, on mediocre hardware, without a fully functioning SDK, and no other "special" schtick except to make phone calls, check email, and surf the web like every other smartphone out there, cannot succeed in today's marketplace ... no matter how much advertising someone throws at it.

YOUR personal experiences with YOUR Pre aside, HP needs to figure out a way to check off that long list of missing pieces in their non-existent ecosystem before they even begin to hope compete in today's marketplace.
    You mentioned hyperbole, right? Yeah, I thought so...
    Where HP/Palm is going to struggle even if they launch a nice new device with WebOS 2.0: third party support. Consumers are currently thriving off third party development and support.

Android, given its recent success is JUST now catching on with developers and other third party development. However, I don't think Android handsets will ever be as wildly successful as the iPhone due to the device fragmentation. For example, it's difficult to create a device for "Android" but rather say the HTC Evo specifically (thus leaving out support for all the other countless Android handsets).

Right now, HP/Palm has only themselves and a small handful of diehards. As sad as it is, applications and third party hardware is where success lies.

Take a look at Blackberry. If it wasn't for the business sector that RIM largely dominates we would have seen rapid declines in the market share, however with the iPhone now having better enterprise support (and Android) Blackberries are quickly becoming less attractive to corporations.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it's going to take for the next WebOS device to be successful and become something more than a niche device.
    Marketing strategies will be key here.

HP offers a range of product families in every market they enter, each with it's own marketing model. Since the 1970's, calculators were marketed to completely different business, student, engineering, and consumer markets.

HP printer business units approach the printer business as nearly autonomous competing companies dedicated to large business, department level, small business, governmental, education, and consumer divisions.

This multi-tier approach has led HP to dominant positions in printers, laptops, PC's and so many other areas. Likewise HP will see the diversity of the smartphone market.

High-End. This highly profitable segment demands the biggest, best, fastest, and newest. Phones are not tools for this group, they are fun. On a two-year Unlimited 400 minute contract carriers can gross:
    $2,238.76 - AT&T iPhone 4
    $2,118.76 - Sprint EVO
    $2,098.52 - Verizon Droid X

Middle-Market. In the past, this has been where the 6-month old phones go to die like the discounted Sprint Hero at $1,828.76. Consumers think that they are getting nearly free phones but the true discount averages 7% over the 24-month amortization. This is POS (Point Of Sale) marketing at the store level.

Prepaid Market. This is the area that is growing the fastest and will for some time to come. Over two years the Cricket Zio Android costs $1,540.00. That's only 15% less than a mid-market phone and hugely profitable as well.

Steve Jobs' marketing model is that you can have any phone you like as long as it is a little 3.5", no keyboard, no SDcard, no HDMI, no removable battery, no Flash phone.

Imagine a printer company with only one printer. A one-size-fits-all marketing model can work in the early days of a market but will leave you a niche player. Still niche markets can be highly profitable.

In the next 12 months, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and LG are each expected to release 6 to 12 Android phones targeting every market. Shelf life is designed to be 9 months. Just like printers and laptops, there will be new phones in every size and style every few months.

Instead of releasing Palm's one new webOS phone, I trust that HP will have the foresight and strength to offer a family of webOS products.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/09/2010 at 03:42 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12