1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Well as they say, the other shoe just dropped.....Now we know why DataViz dropped Docs to go so abruptly!

Take care,

Jay

RIM Reported to Buy DocumentsToGo, DataViz
    Posted by Zealot on Sep 06, 2010

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2010/09/...stogo-dataviz/

In a move which may have far reaching ramifications for the mobile enterprise, reports are indicating that Research in Motion has purchased veteran application developers DataViz, makers of DocumentsToGo along with many other cross platform applications. Neither company has made an announcement yet but word is that Team BlackBerry bought DataViz for a cool 50 million dollars. Other reports are saying that DataViz employees are going so far as to be updating their LinkedIn and Facebook pages to list their employer as RIM.

DataViz makes applications for most all major mobile platforms, such as Apple’s iOS (including special apps for the iPad), BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android, webOS, PalmOS, Maemo and likely others. The acquisition certainly fills a hole for Blackberry which has been suffering from a lack of quality applications as Apple and Android are both pushing hard for the Enterprise market traditionally controlled by RIM, but it also opens up a lot of questions.

RIM has a history of solving gaps in the BlackBerry software with their checkbook. When RIM addressed their lack of a decent browser last year by purchasing Touch Mobile and their Iris Webkit browser, Torch immediately dropped their well-received WinMo version. Will DataViz become a BlackBerry only shop like Torch did? I had thought something was up when DataViz shut down development efforts to port DocsToGo to the latest version of webOS. This struck me as odd since it is clear that HP will be doing SOMETHING on the tablet front with the OS and DocsToGo would be ideal for that. Plus DataViz had been one of the release partners when Palm debuted the Pre.

Could this just be a sign to come as DocToGo is pulled off of all other platforms? I certainly hope not, but their competitors such as Microsoft’s Office Mobile and Quickoffice must be viewing this as a possible major windfall.

I am sure we will learn more once announcments are made officially, but this seems to be a done deal.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm not sure I believe that Dataviz's products will become exclusive to RIM. It Blackberry in the business of purchasing profitable, successful companies and stifling them into non-profitability? Hard to imagine they've been so successful for so long with that business model.
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

You have a point...however, I think in the long run they were short sighted in not making a version for webOS...It's very strange, especially now that HP has breathed a very expensive new breath into Palm. I am sure HP/Palm will market very heavily this time out...therefore, it would be in Dataviz to play ball!

There is another issue to this, the new BB has already been written off as a dud. If RIM doesn't do something soon they will be come a very small player in the field. By buying Dataviz they are guaranteeing that there will always be versions of Dataviz for BB. (After all, RIM/BB doesn't want to get stiffed by Dataviz as Palm just was).

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    There are always dead soliders in battle. Maybe this is one. With the letter of BS they sent Palm and our community I will not miss them. Now they can ride BB's coat tails down the slide when HP releases the hounds.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm not sure I believe that Dataviz's products will become exclusive to RIM. It Blackberry in the business of purchasing profitable, successful companies and stifling them into non-profitability? Hard to imagine they've been so successful for so long with that business model.

We disagree.

RIM is in the business of trying to resuscitate itself -- which to RIM means its flagging mothership. Nothing else.

50 million is a pittance -- a rounding error.

I suspect that the profitability or business model of Dataviz is irrelevant to RIM. If they can use Dataviz in any way as a lever to bring more users to RIM and not toward competitors like webOS or Android, at the end of the day RIM would be satisfied.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/07/2010 at 04:43 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)