Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a blackberry storm2 and there are things I like about the phone but other things (slow web browser) that I don't like.

I'd like to know from those who have owned both the pre and a blackberry how the two compare. What are your likes and dislikes about the two phones?

Also, are they coming out with a new Pre phone soon ? Is it even worth it to buy the Pre Plus at this point?
    other than battery life, the pre whips the storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    other than battery life, the pre whips the storm.
    ...in every way conceivable
  4.    #4  
    I was hoping for a little more detailed analysis.
    Ok, comparison > like this topic. Which one? Or all associated phones that as the bb name? ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by omniwolf1 View Post
    I was hoping for a little more detailed analysis.
    The problem here is two levels.

1. The blackberry and pre are so fundamentally different that it's hard to compare the two. It's like asking whether a mazzerati or a john Deer combine harvester is better. They're both a quarter a million dollars, they're both amazingly good at certain things, but you really can't compare them.

2. You're asking which device is better, on a forum dedicated to the users of one. That's like asking a dog if it's hungry. You always know what answer you're going to get.

All that being said, let me try.

Blackberry: Proper push notifications. More mature in every way, particularly with it's ability to tie in to an exchange server. More compatible with your business and coworkers IF you work somewhere that gives everybody a blackberry.

Pre: Better multi-media. More customizable. Smoothest multi-tasking functionality on the market today. More rapid growth of the developer community. Better gaming. Better touchscreen. A system that was built from the ground up as a touchscreen system, rather than a non touchscreen system that was modified for touchscreens.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    My wife has a BB curve. I like the Pre much better.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses. I heard that the Pre battery life was bad...has that been true for you?

Also I heard the physical keybard on the pre was not very good and there were problems with the keys sticking.
    My advise is to NOT get a new contract based on any of the "current" webOS devices. They are old and not worth a brand new 1-2 year contract. Same goes for any of the older phones. Look at some of the newer options available or wait for a new webOS device if you must, but don't lock yourself into a new contract for any old device.
    I had a BB Storm and hated it, in fact I hated it so much I paid the ETF and switched to Sprint and the Palm Pre in June of 09. IMO, there is no comparison, the Pre is light years ahead of the Blackberry. I remember trying to listen to Pandora and running the Nav app on my Storm, every time the Nav app would come in, Pandora would stop playing and I would then have to physically restart it again, multitasking is a god send. The VK on the Storm is by far the worst in the industry too, after 6 months I still could not type worth a damn on that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I have to disagree on your advice. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a palm pre/plus phone. Old, everybody keep using that word. When is the new phone(s) coming out? My guess is as good as yours. Nobody really knows that for sure.

I have a palm pre phone~and I'm loving it to death. I would recommend any webos phones to anyone at anytime.
    That's fine. My advice still stands. To the OP, get any of the more current devices that are out. If you must have a webOS device, wait for a new one. No sense locking yourself into a contract for an old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    That's fine. My advice still stands. To the OP, get any of the more current devices that are out. If you must have a webOS device, wait for a new one. No sense locking yourself into a contract for an old phone.
    Agreed - it's pretty cheap to purchase a used phone off eBay or Craig's List and put it on an existing contract. Purchasing a WebOS device on a new contract (or extending an existing contract to 1 year or more) is silly if a new WebOS device is something desired.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    I am a former BlackBerry user and can comment on this topic. When it comes to web browsing, the Pre wins without any question. I have not used the new BlackBerry Torch with the new browser so I can't comment on that.

Email goes to BlackBerry, but the Pre handles email just fine. My IMAP GMail account arrives very fast on my Pre.

Multimedia goes to the Pre. BlackBerry's multimedia is weak, not much more to be said here.

Keyboard goes to BlackBerry. If you're comparing one of the Storm models, I would say that the Pre's physical keyboard beats the Storm's surepress.

When it comes to apps, I'll give the edge to the Pre. WebOS apps tend to have much user friendly UI's with great appearance. WebOS also has homebrew.

Customization goes to the Pre as well. Custom kernels, patches, etc make the Pre very customizable.

I put this post together quickly, but hope this helps.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    I am a former BlackBerry user and can comment on this topic. When it comes to web browsing, the Pre wins without any question. I have not used the new BlackBerry Torch with the new browser so I can't comment on that.

Email goes to BlackBerry, but the Pre handles email just fine. My IMAP GMail account arrives very fast on my Pre.

Multimedia goes to the Pre. BlackBerry's multimedia is weak, not much more to be said here.

Keyboard goes to BlackBerry. If you're comparing one of the Storm models, I would say that the Pre's physical keyboard beats the Storm's surepress.

When it comes to apps, I'll give the edge to the Pre. WebOS apps tend to have much user friendly UI's with great appearance. WebOS also has homebrew.

Customization goes to the Pre as well. Custom kernels, patches, etc make the Pre very customizable.

I put this post together quickly, but hope this helps.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    RE Battery Life:

I think it depends on the network coverage. My Sprint Pre will keep a charge all day if it is not searching for towers, especially for a data connection. If searching, it will happily burn up a battery charge in 2-3 hours, such as in my Monday afternoon clinic in a metal-framed/stone-walled building in the rural Baraboo hills. At first this really annoyed me, as I thought it was just Palms that did that.

Then I spoke with the another physician and the pharmacist there, and their Blackberries do exactly the same thing. The trick is to turn off searching or data (if you can afford to drop the connection) or to recharge frequently, or a combination of above (which I do). (I only know one doc with an Android phone so far, and she reports similar battery issues in our hills).

Big benefit of the Palm is the Touchstone for charging. Way easier than plugging in, and it looks like WebOS 2 will continue the Touchstone and enable new features for it.

BB is certainly the email leader, so far. But I think any landscape-slider phone would give it a run for it's money now, as the email function, (and perhaps Synergy with email at least) is not as distinguishing as it used to be.

As far as OS and user-experience for more than e-mail, WebOS/Palm is light-years beyond BB. Think of it as BB being Windows 95 (Revolutionary for PC's when came out) compared to WebOS 1.4.1 being Windows 7..... 'nuff said!
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 09/07/2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Agreed - it's pretty cheap to purchase a used phone off eBay or Craig's List and put it on an existing contract. Purchasing a WebOS device on a new contract (or extending an existing contract to 1 year or more) is silly if a new WebOS device is something desired.
    QFT. You can get a Pre for $50-$100 easily from CL or ebay.
    Maybe this can help.

According to the Nielsen survey, only 42% of Blackberry owners want to get another BlackBerry.

According to BlackBerry's own research BlackBerry owners are also older, and more likely to be male.

So if you are an old guy, you may get a BlackBerry but even you will wish you had something else.

Maybe BlackBerry could use their research to put together a new slogan?

Nothing Says Old Guy Like BlackBerry

BlackBerry: Grandpa's Phone

BlackBerry: Old and Proud of it!

- Craig
  18.    #18  
    The battery only lasting a half a day might be a dealbreaker for me. Is there some extended life battery you can get for the Pre Plus to make the battery life better?

I am still up in the air between sticking with blackberry and going to Palm. I've never bought a phone off ebay and I just don't want to get ripped off. If I do buy one on ebay, should I go for a Pre (minus) or Pre plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by omniwolf1 View Post
    ...should I go for a Pre (minus) or Pre plus?
    Just depends what carrier you're on. I'm not certain about other countries, but in the US, there aren't any carriers that have both available. Sprint has the Pre, everybody else has the Pre+. The real choice is Sprint, ATT or Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    My turn and 2 worth. I’ve got a VZW Pre+ now, and was using a Storm 9530 on that network before and there’s reasons to like each platform. Honestly, if you’re on the fence you’re not interested in what makes the BBOS stand out - BBM and that darned notifications light. WebOS is pretty slick, and I’ve toyed with a Torch and, if you’re Jonesing for a new device (especially on VZW), hold out just 4-5 weeks to see what they’re putting out soon. I wouldn’t use a BB with OS 5 ever again. And Palm’s current devices are about to be replaced and, frankly, the build quality of the Pre devices is a crap shoot.

The two elements of the BBOS I really miss - voice dialing and (through customizability) Vlingo Pro (to dictate emails and texts). For the Storm, I really miss the glass screen and solid build quality. For the Pre, the WebOS is the bee’s knees. The battery life isn’t that bad for either device - I used ROMs from the Crackberry and BBOS websites often, and have patched my Pre devices and am happy both can be hacked, and the talk time is comparable, but the Pre will use its battery a bit faster - I’ve got easily a day out of the Pre with light use on the stock battery. The WebOS calendar is second only to the iOS calendar (I use an iPhone too) and leaves the BBOS BIS calendaring really wanting, unless you need only one calendar (I’m managing a few construction projects and need 8-15 calendars at any given time). If you’re on BES and connect through Exchange (not the incomplete EAS Google uses), you might see a little less compatibility than you would with the BB. The WebOS security is about on par with BBOS BIS, but not nearly as secure as BBOS BES (depending on the implementation IMO).

Of course, I’m assuming you’re on VZW but you could be using a Storm 9550. One plus for the current Pre+ on VZW - I subscribed to tethering for $15 with my Storm but VZW has thrown in Mobile Hotspot at no cost (though using it will blow through battery life quickly). Suretype is pretty good on the Storm 2, and I like it better than the Pre’s keyboard - Vlingo Pro allowed me to blow through dictation of messages when I was on the road (and notes to myself). Seriously, I’d opt to wait a bit - my IT guy tells me that the Storm 3 will be out soon, but I’m not using BIS ever again; oh, and BIS is about as timely as EAS on my iPhone or my Pre+, the 15-minute polling time for BIS is WAAAAY overhyped for delivering timely messaging. And, if you are on BES without IT OTA support from your company, you can get around paying the $45 corporate-liable data charge with the Pre+ on VZW - no such luck with the BBOS devices. For BBs, BIS kills it for me. For the Pre+, the lack of voice dialing and the fscking crapshoot for build quality has almost killed my interest in WebOS devices for a while.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast