1.    #1  
    Since purchasing my Palm Pre from Sprint I have become enamored with WebOS. However, since seeing the latest iPhone, the new Samsung Galaxy Tab and other new phones I wonder if HP / Palm aren't running out of time. I find myself wanting so much more from my Pre but don't want to jump ship just yet. However, if it takes HP / Palm too much longer they won't have any takers left.
    I agree, OP.
    Lots of webOS customers have lost their patience over the last few months.

The tech world moves too quickly for this stuff. We need to see real progress. Not rumors.
    But then again, they need to get it right.
    yeah I agree, hopefully they aren't takong there sweet time and decide to release something next year. But hey once ur market share hits zero it can only go up from there, right?
    I don't think HP/Palm is running out of time. They simply have to bring out a very good device. For most of the early Pre adopters who are still with the Pre, better hardware, faster processor, and more harddrive is what's required.

For others who are constantly tempted by the next new device, you have to wow them with adds, good reviews, and users who are enamored.

Palm was running out of time, but HP/Palm simply needs to get it right and make sure of the build quality. Some people complained about a cheap plastic feel. I never got that, but usb cover breaking off or keys no longer responsive, I did experience that. Thus, I'm on my second device even though it's only been a little over a year.

I love WebOS so I'm staying. I'm not impressed by anything else that I see out there, so I'm staying. I'm not a gallivanting sort of girl who wants to constantly try new things so I'm staying. HP/Palm has a little less than 1 year.

If a device isn't hear by February 2011, many will leave. If a device isn't hear before Christmas, many of the Sprint Premier customers will leave. I brought my full family to Sprint, so when those three contracts are up, depending upon why Sprint doesn't have the new WebOS, my family of four lines will upgrade or check out other carriers.

If Sprint is so enamored with Droid devices that they aren't carrying the latest WebOS device, we'll switch carriers. If WebOS hasn't put out a device that impresses me enough to adopt it early and recommend it to the rest of the family, we'll change devices. I'm already impressed by what I've heard so far about WebOS 2.0. The question now is build quality.
    I have a bag load of patience in my back room. I use one everytime I feel like giving up. I don't mind giving away some.

Ps. You can send me a Private Mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I have a bag load of patience in my back room. I use one everytime I feel like giving up. I don't mind giving away some.

Ps. You can send me a Private Mail.
    I'll help you replenish your bag. I love WebOS and the information that I get from the PreCentral community is what opened my eyes to all it's possibilities. Of course I don't try them all, but I'm truly content.

Having said all that, I still want a new device, before my families two year contract is up. Being a Premier customer, I'd like to try it a month or two before their contract is up. If I could have six months, it would be awesome. By six months, I'll also have a good handle on the build quality.
    I think "the next great thing" from HP/Palm needs to be done right AND done timely. The clock is clearly ticking...but for most webOS users, I think it is ticking...slowly.

I suspect (hope?) that the Verizon webOS users (like me) will be fine with waiting a bit (after all, we only got our chance to get webOS phones in January), but I think waiting for a whole lot longer for something great will be harder for the "Sprint faithful," those early adopters from June 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by treodoc755 View Post
    I think "the next great thing" from HP/Palm needs to be done right AND done timely. The clock is clearly ticking...but for most webOS users, I think it is ticking...slowly.

I suspect (hope?) that the Verizon webOS users (like me) will be fine with waiting a bit (after all, we only got our chance to get webOS phones in January), but I think waiting for a whole lot longer for something great will be harder for the "Sprint faithful," those early adopters from June 2009.
    Being a launch day adopter, I remind you that if we were with any company other than Sprint, we'd have to wait until 6/2011 or pay a hefty fee. Those who are still here, even though they get constant texts and snail mail, are probably content with their phones; we just want to get some bang out of being Premier customers so we want a device sooner than if we weren't Premier customers.
    Try to be patient the later the phone is released usually means better specs.

So an evo or epic might not stack up so well to the new palm device.

The longer you wait for new tech the better it usually is.

However I'm chomping at the bit too to see new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    Try to be patient the later the phone is released usually means better specs.
    A perfect phone that comes to the game after the rest of the market is well-established will have less chance than a solid device released at an earlier, more opportune time.

So an evo or epic might not stack up so well to the new palm device.
    Perhaps, but the EVO/Epic follow-on phones are already well along in their development - those are the phones a new WebOS device has to beat ... even if it was released tomorrow.

The longer you wait for new tech the better it usually is.
    So if you wait forever, you have the best tech? That statement has no basis in reality. What you really mean is technology improves at a frantic rate. If a company isn't driven to get new and better technology out at a rapid pace, it is simply passed by.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    But then again, they need to get it right.
    +1. Get it right. If you build it (get it right), they will come. Because people upgrade their phones on a regular basis, it's not like laptops, pcs, or cars. If HP/Palm put out a solid device, with good advertising and reviews, users will come. The more people who see and use the device, the more people who'll want the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    yeah I agree, hopefully they aren't takong there sweet time and decide to release something next year. But hey once ur market share hits zero it can only go up from there, right?
    And they are pretty darn close to "ZERO" market share...maybe thats what their waiting for??
    It's estimated that in 2014, over 500 million smartphones will be sold. That can be compared to the 100 million or so that will have been sold in 2010. No vendor--and I do mean, none--can assume that this nascent market is all wrapped up, nor that it's impossible to gain significant and profitable market share over the next few years.

I guarantee you, HP is taking a long-term view here. Yes, they know that they're going to lose some Palm customers by the time the next generation of devices is released. And, there's nothing they can do about it--I mean, seriously, how much faster could they possibly go?

But in the long term, I'm sure they'd rather get things right and secure 50 million (or many more) customers in the next few years, than do things wrong to hold on to a relative handful (and really, how many current customers are there to lose?) right now. And as someone who just can't stand any other option that's out there, while I simply love using webOS, I have no problem with them waiting a little while to get things right.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    since its taking so long for new hardware, anything less than "getting it right" would be a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A perfect phone that comes to the game after the rest of the market is well-established will have less chance than a solid device released at an earlier, more opportune time.
    It's strange how few people seem to grasp that.

There seems to be a prevailing sentiment that HP's upcoming devices will be so far ahead of everyone else's lineup that people will be willing to give up on things like having real developer support and thriving ecosystems.

I don't see it but I guess it's nice to be hopeful.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Im the WebOS evangelist between my friends i have the original pre from sprint and i love webos.
    almost all my friends have iphones and android phones. AT&T Bought a cell phone company down here in Puerto Rico called centennial which was based on CDMA. i had two friends on that company and i convinced them to go for WebOS Palm Pre+ phone when they were offered to migrate to AT&T. One of them is already thinking about buying a used iphone 3GS, and the other one complaint about the battery but thats it.
    I also know 2 Sprint Pre early adopters both of them went to the EVO camp this week because they got tired of waiting, and to tell you the truth im kind of tired too.

I know HP/Palm needs to get this right. But we need something to at least to give us hope. at least some specs and carriers. can you imagine all this time that i have waited for a new palm to come to sprint just to find out at the end that sprint is not going to carry them?

Also the carriers are getting people into contracts with these new devices which means less people will have the option to buy a new phone..