Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all

I have verizon and am eligible for an upgrade right now. I've had my Pre Plus since it came out but was very disappointed with the hardware. I had to take it in 3 times and the fourth phone I got had a cracked screen near the top. I LOVE webOS but I really hate the crappy hardware. I've been hearing all this talk of a palm phone coming out soon but I'm just not sure of it. I would love to continue with webOS since I really don't like android but the Fascinate does a decent job at adding Samsung's touch to it. The question is, should I wait for a new palm? If it even exists? Or should I just go get the fascinate once it comes out next week??
    Simple answer: wait. webOS 2.0 by itself would be worth waiting for. Since all signs are pointing at new hardware by the holidays, it's only a few months until we get some new goodness. Unless your Pre Plus is giving you radiation poisoning, I'd hold out for the new stuff.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    It seem like you already made a decision. ^_^

Ps. I'm sticking to H/Palm until the end. {I have a committed relationship with webOS.}
    Buy try it you can always return it in 30 days and only then you will be sure.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Im up November 1st and Im going to wait. Played with a droid the other day and it was pretty nice but WebOS rocks.
    I had this problem with the EPIC before returning it. You may want to check out forums on xda and androidcentral, etc... before you make a decision. I suggest waiting so you don't experience all the product-launch headaches.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

First, if you're still under warranty, and haven't already, contact Palm directly and let them know how many phones you have been through and what the problem is with your current phone. You are far more likely to get a top notch replacement from them then you are from Verizon.

Then I'd wait. The Fascinate isn't going anywhere. Palm really only has about 2 and a half months left to release a phone for the holidays, and you can pretty much bet the farm they will. Wait another month or two and see what they have. Then make your decision. I would only suggest moving on to someone who is no longer under warranty and their Pre is having functional issues. Otherwise, patience is a good thing, especially when we are all 99% sure that a new phone is coming in the next couple of months. If it's anything like the specs that have been floating around, you'll likely kick yourself where it hurts if you leave and something fantastic is released.

By the way, for those who say try for 30 days and return if you don't like, keep in mind that Verizon (don't know about Sprint and AT&T) charges a restocking fee (I believe it's $30). So it's not a totally free trial.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    [XDA forums]I had this problem with the EPIC before returning it. You may want to check out forums on xda and androidcentral, etc... before you make a decision. I suggest waiting so you don't experience all the product-launch headaches.
    Thanks for the heads up! I use my pre for music ALL the time..

Dang. I guess I really should wait... haha. Any clues as to when we might be hearing official news about H/Palm's new hardware?
    I would wait until the holiday season if you can. WebOS 2.0 should be relased and Android 3.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I would wait until the holiday season if you can. WebOS 2.0 should be relased and Android 3.0.
    You raise another interesting point, Samsung has stated that froyo is coming to the Galaxy S line but is mum on gingerbread/3.0. I expect a huge delay in webOS 2.0 release to actual push from Sprint, but I suspect that it will come to even the pre-minus.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    You raise another interesting point, Samsung has stated that froyo is coming to the Galaxy S line but is mum on gingerbread/3.0. I expect a huge delay in webOS 2.0 release to actual push from Sprint, but I suspect that it will come to even the pre-minus.
    That is why you should wait and get a phone that has either WebOS 2.0 or Android 3.0.

Rumor is that Gingerbread is going to be the end of Android fragmentation...
    i have to believe that they are waiting till the Epic buzz is over. and with the slobbering love affair between the imedia and the iphone/ipod touch they will wait till the imedia wipes their drool off their faces from the latest Apple ipod release before they announce little teaser info and specs.

just my thoughts based on watching and reading all the slobbing articles about i-this i-that and the i-other
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfrogg View Post
    Hey all

I have verizon and am eligible for an upgrade right now. I've had my Pre Plus since it came out but was very disappointed with the hardware. I had to take it in 3 times and the fourth phone I got had a cracked screen near the top. I LOVE webOS but I really hate the crappy hardware. I've been hearing all this talk of a palm phone coming out soon but I'm just not sure of it. I would love to continue with webOS since I really don't like android but the Fascinate does a decent job at adding Samsung's touch to it. The question is, should I wait for a new palm? If it even exists? Or should I just go get the fascinate once it comes out next week??
    You already know what you can get with the Fascinate. You have no idea what WebOS 2.0 will be like nor do you know what the quality of the hardware will be. In short, your trying to compare reality to the complete unknown. So your only real choice is now or later. If you choose now, your choice is made for you. If you choose later, then you potentially have additional choices.
    I would recommend just waiting. It probably won't be long until a product is released
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I think you should wait for a few months as well.
  17.    #17  
    ahh. Everyone says to wait, but I don't want to wait past the Holidays... My mom even needs a new phone and if I get one soon, I'll just give her my pre.. I really hope Palm releases its new phone soon... :/
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Wait until December, that's what I am doing.
    If there is nothing about a new Palm device by that time then get a Fascinate for xmas or what ever you celebrate.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I have never considered jumping over to an Android device and was dead set to wait for a new webOS phone, then my wife got an Epic yesterday instead of getting a replacement Treo Pro for the 5th time (2nd time in the last month). I have to say, it's a damn nice phone. And for some of the little nagging differences between webOS and Android that make webOS superior, I sure could see myself being perfectly happy for the next year plus with that phone. The hardware is f'n superb. The only thing that has kept me from saying me too and running down and getting one is I keep trying to picture webOS running on that hardware and thinking how I would prefer that. I can wait two months, if nothing by then I will probably get a non-webOS phone.
    Here's what you do.

What until HP announces the release date of the new Palm phone. A week before the release, get the Fascinate. You have a 30 day return period with the Fascinate, so during this 30 day period, you will have a chance to play with it a week fore the Pre 2 comes out. If you like it enough, then maybe you won't consider switching to the Pre 2 in the first place. For the next 23 days, you can wait for Pre 2 news/reviews/developer reaction, and you'll have a much better idea of if you want to return the Fascinate or pick up the Pre 2 instead.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast