1.    #1  
    The mystery of the disappearing Facebook-Ping integration | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

AllThingsD hears from unnamed sources that Facebook blocked Apple's use of the Facebook API within Ping "since it violated its terms of service."

Facebook's API is generally open for anyone to use, but there are a few rules. The company's developer agreement states that if an application exceeds more than 100 million API calls per day, "please contact us as you may be subject to additional terms." Apple says there are 160 million iTunes customers--and therefore potential users of Ping.

Another link http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/a...-for-unauthor/

We'd already heard whispers that Apple had to yank Facebook Connect integration from its new Ping music network because the connection was being denied by Facebook, and now Kara Swisher at All Things D is confirming it -- and she's saying Facebook shut down access on purpose after Apple used the find-your-friends API without permission. Juicy! Here's the deal: Facebook's friend-finding API is generally open access, but anyone that wants to hit it an extreme number of times has to sign a deal agreeing to protect Facebook user data and limit network impact. Given the sheer size of the iTunes customer base, it's no surprise that Facebook wanted such a deal, but apparently negotiations broke down -- possibly over what Steve Jobs referred to as "onerous terms" -- and Apple decided to just go ahead and use the API anyway. (Which, truth be told, is pretty in character for Apple.) Facebook then blocked access, Apple had to scramble to clean up all the Facebook references, and here we are.
    Last edited by cardfan; 09/02/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    I think that without that feature ping is kinda pointless I mean it is but with facebook friend finding I becomes more usable.
    Ha ha! Poor Apple - 'rejected' because it has too many customers.
    Welcome to our world. (Palm Pre ) Alledgely. :-D
  5.    #5  
    I just thought the irony was funny. There's more than a few who think apple's app policies are "onerous." It's similar to Palm using the itunes hack and thinking Apple would have no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I just thought the irony was funny. There's more than a few who think apple's app policies are "onerous." It's similar to Palm using the itunes hack and thinking Apple would have no problem.
    Vaguely similar at best. Since Apple provides (for free) APIs to iTunes, it was either stupidity or arrogance that drove Palm to make such a stupid decision. With Facebook, Apple followed the API rules and the (not so surprising in retrospect) explosion in connections to Facebook drove them to a higher tier ($$) API, which apparently Apple doesn't want to use. Boo hoo for Apple and Facebook - They both have more customers than they know what to do with.