1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I assume they mean this holiday season, (2010).

Take care,

Jay

Windows Phone 7 phones likely by holiday season
    By Suzanne Choney

Technolog - Windows Phone 7 phones likely by holiday season

There aren't any smart phones running Windows Phone 7 that are out yet, but there will be by the holiday season, Microsoft says. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

On a company blog, Terry Myerson of Microsoft said the Windows Phone 7 OS was released to manufacturers Thursday, meaning that it's ready to be baked into new phones and carrier networks. "Today’s milestone is exciting not just because of what we’ll deliver to customers later this year, but how it sets us up for success over the long term in the mobile space … we’re really just getting started," he wrote.

Such a Windows win is badly needed with phones running the company's previous mobile operating system — Windows Mobile — lagging behind the iPhone, Android-based phones and RIM's BlackBerrys. Microsoft may have a fighting chance, as was recently noted, because of the way Windows Phone 7 incorporates its popular Xbox Live into mobiles, with more than 50 games from big-name developers that should be available in time for the holidays
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    WP7 is pretty cool, definitely fresh, but I think it is a bit too plain and would get boring rather fast.
    I think the interface is bland and uninspired. Plus, there's a gutter on the right side of the home screen with just that right-pointing arrow at the top.. why waste all that space? It looks terrible compared to the competing mobile OS'es, IMO.
    Uninspired?

Its the exact opposite in the current phone space. The empty space on the side is a place to NOT touch anything...basically if you are moving a square around you can tape that space to act like a "turn off" switch. Or so i saw in a video...not sure if thats the only way.
    Not a fan of the UI either, but this could possibly do well for heavy gamers and the younger crowd, but I certainly don't see it aimed at business users.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not a fan of the UI either, but this could possibly do well for heavy gamers and the younger crowd, but I certainly don't see it aimed at business users.
    Why do you think that?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I agree the UI looks, well, like a toy. Like a Lego phone UI. Neither it, nor the lack of several basic features nor the closed SW environment appeal to me at all.

But...

Microsoft do have a way of making the unappealing into a de-facto standard.

So whilst I won't be rushing out to buy a WP7 device, I wouldn't bet against their stock price.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    I agree the UI looks, well, like a toy. Like a Lego phone UI.
    Or like one of those "large print" phones aimed at old people!
    Last edited by tirk; 09/10/2010 at 08:12 AM.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...