Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pretty amazing to think HDR (high dynamic range) photography is coming standard in iOS 4.1. Check out the link for more details and example photos.

AppleInsider | First look: Taking HDR photos with Apple's iOS 4.1
    takes one underexposed... one overexposed.. and one regular and then smooshes them together... pretty good idea if you ask me
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    that is definitely a cool feature, but it is also something that could be done easily with an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    takes one underexposed... one overexposed.. and one regular and then smooshes them together... pretty good idea if you ask me
    Except I doubt that it's doing much other than changing the brightness of the images in post-processing before doing the HDR conversion.

Generally for 'real' HDR, the image is taken with different apertures, so that the amount of light in each image is actually different, which is something that this still can't do.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very neat feature, especially when you consider it's on a phone or mp3 player, and one that I hope other manufacturers incorporate as well. But people might be a little disappointed with the results if they think it's going to be amazing in this form.
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    that is definitely a cool feature, but it is also something that could be done easily with an app.
    Which is what the iPhone is essentially doing.....albeit automatically.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Too bad we still don't have a camera API. Hahahahahahaha
  8.    #8  
    This is something that has been done in apps for a long while on the iPhone but to see Apple bake this kind of thing into their native camera application is pretty amazing. Always paying attention to detail.
    iOS 4.1 with HDR built-in comes as a shock to HDR app developers

Can't say HDR devs are that happy about it. This is just an example of how Apple has no respect for its third party devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Can't say HDR devs are that happy about it. This is just an example of how Apple has no respect for its third party devs.
    Honestly, IMO any HDR developers should thank Apple for exposing a new" means to take cell phone photos - not one of my friends have even heard of HDR photography, and that changed yesterday and today. A bunch of them are using my iPhone 4 and trying it out for themselves (Im an iPhone dev and running the 4.1 GM on one of my iPhones), a few of them got a taste of HDR and are looking through the App Store for apps with more HDR features. IMO, too many people get their knickers in a twist too easily, iPhone devs will sell maybe 8-10 apps to my friends who played with my iPhone for less than an hour. Time for a chill pill...
    So if they take something that is available in an app and intergrate it into the OS they lack respect. NIMO

It shows they see a good idea that they can introduce as the next best thing when they see it.

Say Palm makes an official Twitter app is that disrespectful to the devs who have one in the catalog right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

At least Apple's 3rd party devs can get access to the camera APIs.
    This is hardly true HDR photos, what a joke. True HDR photos require three photos of the same subject, a tripod and a shutter release cable is a must have.
    I have used one of the 3rd party apps to do this now on my iPhone and it works surprisingly well.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    This is hardly true HDR photos, what a joke. True HDR photos require three photos of the same subject, a tripod and a shutter release cable is a must have.
    Whether it is "true" HDR or not it is still impressive and the photos it produces are of good quality, especially when you have shots that contain under/over exposed portions.

We're not talking about a 5d MkII here, we're talking about a mobile phone.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Whether it is "true" HDR or not it is still impressive and the photos it produces are of good quality, especially when you have shots that contain under/over exposed portions.

lol the iPhone4 isn't your ordinary run-of-the-mill mobile phone..

i think apple was focusing on photography on the iphone4, and theyr just enhancing it more with this update.
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    lol the iPhone4 isn't your ordinary run-of-the-mill mobile phone..

i think apple was focusing on photography on the iphone4, and theyr just enhancing it more with this update.
    which makes the pathetic imager they put into the Touch all the more incomprehensible and infuriating
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    At least Apple's 3rd party devs can get access to the camera APIs.
    And the camera can focus
    It all makes sense now...

We don't have a Camera API because our camera has ADD (cant focus) and is very slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

My point is, someone could develop an App that does that for any mobile OS, this really is nothing special. CS5 has a filter that makes photos look like they were shot in HDR.

The iPhone 4's camera is without a doubt better than most cameras in phones, I am not knocking it. I'm just saying someone in this community could probably pull this off with an App, or down the road when the API is released, incorporate it into a new camera app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast