1.    #1  
    I have an associate that wants to tether their laptop to their verizon Blackberry Storm -- can they use software like Tether for example -- or must they also pay $15/mo for tethering permission ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I'm sure they can tether with an application without the service
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I'm sure they can tether with an application without the service
    I've heard on the BlackBerry forum folks saying that its impossible on Verizon -- that their system is designed to detect tethering -- and that there's no way around their $15/mo (even with an application)

Is there now a work around ??
    Some quick google surfing and a call to a friend of mine with a 'berry has led me to believe an app called shark modem may be the answer
  5.    #5  
    Some quick google surfing and a call to a friend of mine with a 'berry has led me to believe an app called shark modem may be the answer
    I've looked at that --- its cheaper than Tether BTW -- but would is it able to get around Verizon's $15/mo tether "Tollbooth" ??
  7.    #7  
    cool -- thanx -- will check them out.

Are you BTW, on Verizon and using Shark modem (or anyone you know) ??

Does is it get around the Verizon tethering tollbooth ?? The FAQ does not say ...
    also check out pda.net
    The application of choice was Tetherberry - tether.com.

I’d recommend against violating the TOS on any carrier, but especially VZW. $15 is cheap, and if they catch the perp it won’t be cheap - one guy I know did get caught and is paying off a $500 bill and was forced off the network and pay an ETF. My two cents: any “cheater" is literally unbalancing the network since the data use isn’t planned or expected - those who tether without paying for it lose the right to gripe about poor network quality, and they’re the ones who led directly to data caps in the first place.

Tethering can be turned on and off, there’s no “contract” for the service and no upcharge. And, it’s pro-rated, per day. And, Tetherberry and PDA.net aren’t free either.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb View Post
    The application of choice was Tetherberry - tether.com.

I’d recommend against violating the TOS on any carrier, but especially VZW. $15 is cheap, and if they catch the perp it won’t be cheap - one guy I know did get caught and is paying off a $500 bill and was forced off the network and pay an ETF. My two cents: any “cheater" is literally unbalancing the network since the data use isn’t planned or expected - those who tether without paying for it lose the right to gripe about poor network quality, and they’re the ones who led directly to data caps in the first place.

Tethering can be turned on and off, there’s no “contract” for the service and no upcharge. And, it’s pro-rated, per day. And, Tetherberry and PDA.net aren’t free either.
    And on a more grounded-in-reality note, Verizon cannot detect wired/bluetooth tethering (although they can detect hot spot tethering). Instead they simply track abnormally high data consumption. They use this as evidence when confronting customers about whether or not they are tethering. Data caps have always existed with Verizon since EVDO was released (back in 2003) - it took a lawsuit (in 2005) to force them to acknowledge what those previously 'secret') caps were. If a customer were to tether occasionally, there would be no impact on the network, since few Verizon customers come close to their data caps (the average Verizon smartphone data consumption is more than an order of magnitude under the 5GB data cap for aircards/MiFis: Link).

BTW, the new Mobile Broadband Connect rates are $20/mo for 2GB and $30/mo for 5GB. The $15/mo. Broadband Access Connect plan seems to have disappeared (Link).