Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is incredible and WebOS 2.0's tablet and phone competition for sure. It's a joint project by Intel and Nokia, so it's got some big companies behind it. It's really impressive and WebOS seems to have some similar features coming out.

And here it is on a phone (very alpha though):

And in a Phone Emulator:
    Last edited by 6tr6tr; 09/02/2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    WebOSs competition is its own horrible device naming and marketing. As stupid as it is, people would rather have a phone with the name Epic, DROID, DROID X, iPhone, a Bold, a Storm, Tour instead of a pre or pixi. We all know WebOS is good, hardware on pre is a bit suspect but with overclocking it performs really well. The original pre commercials were terrible and embarrising.

hpPalm needs to develop good hardware, name and market it correctly and continue to delvelop WebOS to succeed.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    webOS's real tablet competition as opposed to iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows 7?
    Yes. I meant it in the sense that those OS's you mentioned are not at all like WebOS in multitasking, app management and synergy type features. MeeGo is a real competition for WebOS. (As well, except for Win7, those other OS's are currently so far beyond WebOS in market share that they are NOT competition for WebOS right now)
    You're kidding, right?

No phone stack, no commercial software installed. No multi-touch when viewing pictures or context menu. That was the worst demo I've ever seen. Showed more of what's not working then what is.

Let's be honest, this OS is in it's infancy and that's a huge problem as WebOS users know. The constant complaint by critics of WebOS is there is not a lot of apps. There's nothing you could do on MeeGo that you couldn't program for on WebOS. WebOS however has an easy to program for with dev tools and the introduction of PDK apps.

While MeeGO is interesting and backed by Intel and Nokia, it will have to take a back seat to all the other Linux based OS's currently out there.
    I looks ok. He said pre alpha, so let's see what it turns into. For now...it's just ok. Didn't make me do a double-take or anything.
    I like it. This is not a me too product. There are some great new ideas, here. As an Apple supporter, I am constantly bagging on would-be competitors who just clone what Apple does as close as possible without being sued, and releasing a product that has no reason for existing except that Apple did it. Finally, this is something new. This is the kind of competition I can get behind. We will have to see what becomes of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    This is incredible and WebOS 2.0's tablet and phone competition for sure. It's a joint project by Intel and Nokia, so it's got some big companies behind it. It's really impressive and WebOS seems to have some similar features coming out.
    this always looked like a little bit a a few os's thats already out put together on one phone im not impressed at all... i see nothing new in this......but this is just the way i see it ....
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    As alpha it doesn't look bad but I honestly think its a little late to the party. Android, Blackberry, iOs, WebOS, Windows7 are here now (well just about now in Win7).

I can see MeeGo doing well outside of the U.S where Nokia carries a lot more weight but by the time MeeGo makes it to market, I think the US OS arena will be too saturated for Nokia to make any dent.

US customers haven't shown any love for Nokia smart phones in the past and I don't see anything in MeeGo, relative to the other OS's available, that will change that.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    WebOS is way ahead of MeeGo...
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    WebOSs competition is its own horrible device naming and marketing. As stupid as it is, people would rather have a phone with the name Epic, DROID, DROID X, iPhone, a Bold, a Storm, Tour instead of a pre or pixi. We all know WebOS is good, hardware on pre is a bit suspect but with overclocking it performs really well. The original pre commercials were terrible and embarrising.

hpPalm needs to develop good hardware, name and market it correctly and continue to delvelop WebOS to succeed.
    +1
    l honestly don't know if I like this or not...I dont think it looks horrible exactly, I just don't know how much I would like that ui. It looks interesting tho
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Here's the new screenshot from engadget's homepage....lookin very similar
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13.    #13  
    Yep, the new screenshots look much better...and a bit like webOS:

not impressed.
    Not impressed. MeeGo is more like NoGo!
    All HPalm needs is decent hardware. WebOS is fine just the way it is.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    In your opinion of course.
    First question: Which U.S. carrier can I buy this mythical meego phone on with a subsidized price? Lastly: I have never used meego but I appreciate it for what it is. Meego is the offspring of Nokia's purchase of trolltech, who developed QT (the same one that K desktop environment is built on). Nokia has always been FOSS friendly, so... that rocks. That said, I think that meego and webOS are not so much competitors as they are brethren. I have used terminal apps built for nokia handsets that run natively on webOS... they are fundamentally quite similar OS's under the hood. If I ever switched to another handheld OS, I would hope it is meego. WebOS is actually "in the wild" in the USA, and it's pretty sweet so I don't feel like I am missing too much
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Yep, the new screenshots look much better...and a bit like webOS:

can hp/palm sue for some sort of infringement of their UI?
    this is TRULY paintstaking seeing webOS' UI turned to mush
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I'm unconvinced that, long term, the tablet format will be more than a niche market, like 3d TV.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    i'm not impressed but they need more then just hardware. There are plenty of software holes in webos phones. be it the lack of certain apps (software), or certain os features, gapless audio playback for example. better gmail. i think an argument and i think Derek Kessler made in the podcast that "loose ends" need to be fixed too. but my point is that webos is far from perfect. they wouldn't need a 2.0 if it was.This meego isn't gonna sway a ton of people though from androids, iphones, and blackberries in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast