Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Is it possible to buy an iPhone4 and use it without a contract?
    Not in the USA yet. You can't get your hands on one without a new contract.
    I read they were selling them for a while without contract but stopped. However, people are selling them on Craig's(maybe that's why), so yes you can buy one without AT&T or Apple. You probably need to get the micro-SIM from AT&T though if you want service(you cannot use your old SIM). That means you'll have to tell them to move your number over to the new SIM. But since you didn't buy the phone through them, all they should do is put you on an iPhone plan and I don't think they can demand a contract. Although they could have changed policies. But I'm still using my iPhone without contract(not the 4 though) on a post paid plan. Prepaid, if that's what the other poster meant, is likely a no-go with the iPhone 4(due to SIM). It can be done with older iPhones, but you have to somehow enter data settings on your own after firmware 3.0

But I've also seen people resort to SIM cutting and then insert the cut SIM into iPhone 4. I've read that works without contract(or on existing contract). You just need to risk your SIM and then get an adapter if you want to go full size again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What I meant to ask was whether you could use it as an iPod Touch, rather than as a phone. I'm happy with my Sprint Pre except for certain software that only runs on the iPhone.
  4.    #44  
    Like Dr. Grace, I'd consider getting a iP4 if I could get one sans contract.

Unfortunately I think Kupe is correct in saying that in america at least, they will only sell it to you with a carrier contract.

iP4s can be gotten used -- but they're prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone know for the record if a non-activated non-contract phone (or a phone on a broken contract) will iP4 will perform normally with the exception of cellular use ??

What would Apple do if a "broken contract" phone were take to the Apple store -- honor the warranty, kick you out of the store, or confiscate the phone ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Like Dr. Grace, I'd consider getting a iP4 if I could get one sans contract.

Unfortunately I think Kupe is correct in saying that in america at least, they will only sell it to you with a carrier contract.

iP4s can be gotten used -- but they're prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone know for the record if a non-activated non-contract phone (or a phone on a broken contract) will iP4 will perform normally with the exception of cellular use ??

What would Apple do if a "broken contract" phone were take to the Apple store -- honor the warranty, kick you out of the store, or confiscate the phone ??
    You can use any iPhone without the Sim card installed. You just cant make phone calls on it. My 7 year old son uses my old iPhone as a Touch.
    OK, I think I might buy a used 3GS to use as an iTouch, at least until the iP4 comes to Verizon or Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    OK, I think I might buy a used 3GS to use as an iTouch, at least until the iP4 comes to Verizon or Sprint.
    It's easy (and comparatively cheap) to do with iPhone models before the iPhone 4.
  8.    #48  
    CNET has a lengthy, detailed, and fairly favorable review of the new iTouch.

Worth a read.

Apple iPod Touch 2010 (8GB) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews
    while I deffinatly agree in why needing two devices, their are several keypoints (palm pay attention) to why one wants two devices and why ipod touch should be hosring a better camera.

first off as of now pre is by no means a suitable media device. Pictures take several seconds to load. Music player sucks and even with awesome remix 2.0 it doesn't fix the headphone issue. Not enoug memory for lots of media and battery drains way to quick. Apple also is the prime supporter of digital copies and these days buying combo bluray,dvd,digital copies sometimes is cheaper then buying the bluray by itself. All those digital copies can't be used on the pre. Nor could you store many.

having two media devices means you can not worry about media draining ur battery. Now if the pre got a 4 inch screen and better battery and optmizations ect with improvements to the above mentioned I'd prefer to use the pre it's potentially a way better media device. However it also needs media syncing software that cators to it. And hp needs rights to digital copies.

however until then here are other reasons iod touch is good and could have been better. Iphone is a phone. It has gps and otherwise is an ipod touch, however if apple positioned their ipod touch line as a ful on media device with a REAL camera (12 mpx with optical lens good flash ect.) with the same body as the iphone but instead of a phone it was a camera, it would be another big hitter. Replace ur camera with an ipod touch. Record video take hig quality pics and edit them right on ur ipod! Then when at home send them to facebook. Or synce them to ur computer. To me this gives the ipod a new purpose not just a phoneless iphone. It's a camera itouch. Great way to differentiate and sell and makes it more worth the pricetags.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    ... and could have been better. Iphone is a phone. It has gps and otherwise is an ipod touch, however if apple positioned their ipod touch line as a full on media device with a REAL camera (12 mpx with optical lens good flash ect.) with the same body as the iphone but instead of a phone it was a camera, it would be another big hitter. Replace ur camera with an ipod touch. Record video take hig quality pics and edit them right on ur ipod! Then when at home send them to facebook. Or synce them to ur computer. To me this gives the ipod a new purpose not just a phoneless iphone. It's a camera itouch. Great way to differentiate and sell and makes it more worth the pricetags.
    completely agree with you on that -- El Jobso screwed the touch (and me) by not going exactly that way
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    completely agree with you on that -- El Jobso screwed the touch (and me) by not going exactly that way
    What he did to the Nano is much, much worse. It's now a glorified Shuffle with a high price tag.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    however until then here are other reasons iod touch is good and could have been better. Iphone is a phone. It has gps and otherwise is an ipod touch, however if apple positioned their ipod touch line as a ful on media device with a REAL camera (12 mpx with optical lens good flash ect.) with the same body as the iphone but instead of a phone it was a camera, it would be another big hitter. Replace ur camera with an ipod touch. Record video take hig quality pics and edit them right on ur ipod! Then when at home send them to facebook. Or synce them to ur computer. To me this gives the ipod a new purpose not just a phoneless iphone. It's a camera itouch. Great way to differentiate and sell and makes it more worth the pricetags.
    iPod touch competes against other PMPs, though -- not phones or cameras. Its feature set is already a superset of other media players and is worth the price tag vs, say, a Zune HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think the iPod Touch back camera will be sufficient for spontaneous pictures in good lighting.
    You could say the same thing about the VGA camera on my Treo 680 but it's still wildly outdated by today's standards. The bottom line is that Apple is afraid that if the iPod Touch is too good, it will cannibalize sales of the iPhone so they always cripple it in some way. It's sort of like the non-wifi equipped first generation Pixi on Sprint...it was a huge mistake on the part of either Palm or Sprint which had to be fixed in subsequent models on Verizon and AT&T. The iPod Touch will get a better camera someday but not until iPhone gets an even better camera....
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    You could say the same thing about the VGA camera on my Treo 680 but it's still wildly outdated by today's standards. The bottom line is that Apple is afraid that if the iPod Touch is too good, it will cannibalize sales of the iPhone so they always cripple it in some way. It's sort of like the non-wifi equipped first generation Pixi on Sprint...it was a huge mistake on the part of either Palm or Sprint which had to be fixed in subsequent models on Verizon and AT&T. The iPod Touch will get a better camera someday but not until iPhone gets an even better camera....
    while I totally agree this is probably jobs didn't add a better camera, would it not make sense to market it FOR it's camera? an ipod touch with 12 mpx camera, shoot snap and edit and share. thinnest most fun camera ever. ect ect this would make people want it more imo because I'd sure like a phone and a camera ipod then a phone, camera and ipod, if traveling. we are not at a point where battery life can handle all the radios plus all the media so one device is far fetched still (atleast for hig quality photos) but seriously touch cameras are getting big but their softwares suck this could be an excellent way to market the touch to those who maybe stay clear of it for whatever reason. also eventually the iphone user base will sabalize. we keep hearing this many iphones were sold. but subtract all the people who bougt an iphone before and lets see how many new people are getting one each year. people that want iphones that bad have them people who don't want to switch carriers aren't going to, and people that don't want it get touches or nothing. why is jobs trying to make the thing so thin it slips outa your hands instead of giving it a real camera and some juice.
  15.    #55  
    another review:

New iPod Touch more like iPhone 4
    By Edward C. Baig USAToday

The new iPod Touch is thinner than the iPhone 4, and the display is a bit dimmer. But it's still a winner.

iPod Touch
    *** 1/2 (out of four)
    $229 for 8 GB, $299 for 32 GB, $399 for 64 GB

Pro. Adds front and rear cameras, FaceTime video, HD video recording and iPhone-like display. Even thinner than prior generations. Runs most iPhone apps, including some that would let you make phone calls.

Con. No flash on camera, and camera isn't as good as iPhone's. No GPS.

iPod Touch. The Touch arrives this week with features that bring it even closer to the iPhone 4 it is modeled on. For starters, there are front and rear cameras that let you make FaceTime video calls over a Wi-Fi connection.

Moreover, there's a sweet high-resolution 3.5-inch Retina display that nearly matches the screen on the iPhone 4. Touch doesn't quite have the wide viewing angle of the iPhone 4, which the latter achieves through technology called "in-plane switching." Side by side, the Touch appeared slightly dimmer than the iPhone.

Still, even teeny-tiny text on the Touch is supersharp and readable. And Touch has the same snappy A4 processor that powers iPhone 4. The power-friendly chip will help push battery life for audio up to 40 hours, Apple says.

Touch is thinner than the iPhone and a tad shorter. It is also more than an ounce lighter. But it feels substantial and is, well, comfortable to touch. With rows of familiar icons, if you didn't know any better, you'd think you were peering at the iPhone screen. And, of course, you have access to hundreds of thousands of apps at Apple's App Store.

But Touch lacks GPS, so I couldn't get turn-by-turn directions using a TomTom app that I had preloaded on the device or get as precise a fix on my location using the built-in Maps app. (Touch can determine location through Wi-Fi.)

You can record HD video (up to 720p), but there's no flash, and the rear camera isn't as good as on the iPhone 4. It won't be able to exploit a new photo feature included in the iOS 4.1 software upgrade coming this week that will let the iPhone 4 camera automatically combine multiple exposures into a single spruced-up image.

I doubt anyone will rely on Touch as a full-time cellphone substitute. Still, you can make Internet calls with apps such as Skype or Toktumi's Line2. And then there's FaceTime.

For now, you can make video calls only with another person who has an iPod Touch or an iPhone 4 upgraded with iOS 4.1. With a strong Wi-Fi signal, the video call quality in my tests was quite good. You can tap the screen to switch cameras. As on the iPhone, FaceTime is fun, cool and a boon for long-distance grandparents who want to see the newborn.

It's easy to make or answer a FaceTime call. Initially, you enter your Apple ID or e-mail address. After tapping a FaceTime icon, you can tap a Contacts or Favorites name or tap a listing under Recents. On the iPhone 4, some FaceTime calls start out as AT&T calls that are then handed off to a Wi-Fi network. There's no AT&T on the Touch, of course.

The absence of iOS 4.1 meant I couldn't test the social Game Center feature that's coming soon. Gamers will otherwise appreciate the gyroscope added to complement the accelerometer sensor.
    it's a great player and if i had money to burn i'd buy one. i don't though. And i love my ipod. it's easily my most prized electronic device (well aside from my 50 in flatscreen).

That said. It's too expensive for the storage amount which should have been increased. i have more in my 3 year old ipod. Because of that when my current ipod dies i'll have to think long and hard about getting the 160 classic or getting an ipod touch with less storage then my current 80GB ipod and less then half the 160. And at like $150 more.
  17.    #57  
    alright -- I was in Costco, and they had 1 32gb Touch remaining (lots of 8 and 64gb) so I bought it.

This my first Apple product, and so far I'm not really feeling it.

the primary current need was to easily show to others video I'm working on in a high quality rapidly deployable screen. Its fine for that.

But I'm hating the Safari internet browsing experience.

Since there's no data plan with the Touch, I was hoping to use a cheap accessory FM receiver adapter -- but the ones out there were only designed for the old 3gs form factor -- the size differential with the new Touch is so huge as to be likely very awkward.

more as I feel my way...
    Opera Mini should work, there's an app. There's also some other browser apps.

19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Opera Mini should work, there's an app. There's also some other browser apps.
    thanks My Diva -- Opera makes a major difference

But I have so many other Apple exasperations and complaints that I'll likely make a thread devoted to them ...
    I'd like to hear some of them about the touch. I'm still considering the 32GB version over an iPad, since AT&T gimped iPad data. I just don't feel like paying $500 for 16GB right now.

The only gripe I have so far is Media Monkey needs to hurry with compatibility. You can't use iTunes for a large library. It does not organize files efficiently like Media Monkey.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast