Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    I think I may just get the 8gb model because I use my 32gb Zune HD for my music. I'd likely stream my music to the iPod if I wanted to listen to it.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    I would support something like Fring to webOS before carrying two devices.

Fring allows iPhone, Android and Symbian to make video calls across platforms.

We need something that works across platforms so that you are not tied to any specfic hardware.

Fring updated so Android and iPhone can play together

fring iPhone gets 2-way video calls to all leading mobile platforms on 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Why does everyone make such a big deal about the front camera. The fact is a lot of people WANT it and would use it. If you wouldn't then good for you... I'd rather it be there and use it a few times rather than not have it that one time I need it.
    I use it all the time on iphone. But not really to see the other person or my handsome mug using the front camera. But the ability to use the back camera.

For example, my 4 yr old daughter had her first soccer practice last night. I was able to show my wife in real time how she was doing as we talked. Helps that i can do this over 3G on a jailbroken iphone. Things will only get better with LTE later.
    I see what you're saying but have you tried video chat with Fring? The quality is terrible & it lags a lot.

Facetime is an open standard which means that, if they choose to, *any* manufacturer or company can employ its protocol - so if enough phone makers decide to do so it can become the new standard - & it's open so nobody needs to buy into Apple proprietary technology.
    You should look for older posts herein including mine re: the slow connection speeds experienced when using MHS to connect a Touch to Wifi. The two devices don't play well together.
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    I see what you're saying but have you tried video chat with Fring? The quality is terrible & it lags a lot.

Facetime is an open standard which means that, if they choose to, *any* manufacturer or company can employ its protocol - so if enough phone makers decide to do so it can become the new standard - & it's open so nobody needs to buy into Apple proprietary technology.
    Fring works best on wifi...haven't tried it android to iphone but it works fine android to android.

I like Qik's quality and UI MUCH better, but its push to talk for whoever you are calling which is a bit annoying (even though video chat you tend to talk over each other anyway so its almost a non issue, but you don't want to have to hold a button to talk).

Facetime is nice but EXTREMELY limited that its wifi only. Why use your phone to video chat when you are near wifi in a home when your laptop has the ability to do video chat much smoother, and better quality and has that other standard that people seem to forget. Skype.

But yes, Facetime is nice in home it integrates with your phonebook...Qik does the same thing but i THINK you have to be logged into the app....but i could be wrong so don't quote me on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Facetime is nice but EXTREMELY limited that its wifi only.
    jailbreak
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    jailbreak
    We are talking about mass consumption, not a niche community.

Simply put, for mobile video to become widely used, it needs one standard and works on 3G, 4G and Wifi.

Other than that, it'll be used by a select few and probably mostly just to test it out. I've used video chat on my Evo twice both times just to play with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    We are talking about mass consumption, not a niche community.

Simply put, for mobile video to become widely used, it needs one standard and works on 3G, 4G and Wifi.

Other than that, it'll be used by a select few and probably mostly just to test it out. I've used video chat on my Evo twice both times just to play with it.
    So what you're saying is handheld video conferencing alone is a niche activity. The 'niche' jailbreaking community probably makes up the majority of that niche handheld video conferencing community. The rest of the video conferencing community probably doesn't care about having to use 3G anyway. Sounds like a perfect fit to me - and is one more bandaid to avoid exposing AT&T's abysmal 3G network. Everybody wins!
    Why does everyone make such a big deal about the front camera. The fact is a lot of people WANT it and would use it.
    I would like to believe that, but I just don't believe that that there are a large amount of people that will truly buy the phone for that feature as it has one big problem.. two people need to have one in order to make use of it..

This is the reason why previous attempts of other phone makers failed in my opinion.. While Video chat is nice, how many people either know someone else who also has an iPhone4. Taking this further, exactly what kind of demographic do you think this actually appeals too? Using say a family as an example, two new phones while signing a contract will set you back quite a bit just to get video chat..

I guess it remains to be seen how much it will catch on.. My guess is that is going to be a limited amount of users.. Especially when you consider the bandwidth it could use on these capped plans... Apple has a niche market to begin with, so it kind of seems to me me that perhaps Facetime could end up being a niche within a niche
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicronx View Post
    This is the reason why previous attempts of other phone makers failed in my opinion.. While Video chat is nice, how many people either know someone else who also has an iPhone4.
    I personally know a lot of people with iPhone 4s. With 3 million units sold (as of 2 months ago -- the number is probably considerably higher now), I'd imagine that most people who care about these things have at least one or two friends with iPhone 4s.

I think FaceTime will drive sales of iPhone 4s and iPod touches once people see their friends using it just because they don't want to be left out.
    Hell, I have an Evo and i ALREADY know 5 personal friends who i've called on the phone in the past, who have an Evo (and one with an epic).

Its just about if you can get enough users really. Sounds like sprint wants video chat to be a popular sprint feature moving forward with higher end android devices. Meanwhile verizon just doesn't want a part of the game it appears.
    the ipod touch is irrelevant to my phone purchase. it's a music player and a darn good one. too expensive and not a ton of storage but that's beside my point. if i needed a dedicated music player and app platform it would be in the running. like if i one something just for my car or just for my bedroom to play music. i couldn't care less about a phone in that case.
    Anybody got the new touch and does it work with Mobile Hotspot? I know the old touch had problems but want to know if it's working. I need to know before I waste money on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Anybody got the new touch and does it work with Mobile Hotspot? I know the old touch had problems but want to know if it's working. I need to know before I waste money on it.
    There's no reason it shouldn't work.
    I have second generation Itouch and Pre Plus, and I was used it with my MHS. The problem is that once I turn my MHS on, the battery drains like crazy. I used it few times but it's not reliable if you are planning to stay outside all day without proper place to recharge your battery. Pre MHS is perfect for your laptop though, i can put my pre connected to usb and use it without worrying so much about my pre battery life.
    just got my touch 4g today and ran it all day with sprint pre mhs...worked flawlessly for hours...my buddy and my gf have used their 3g touches on my mhs with no probs at all...ill be digging the pretouch combo!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12