Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Alas, my July '09 Pre is dead (cracked screen) so I am temporarily back to my Treo. I have to say, the Treo is a better device than the Pre in many ways.
    -Construction (though old-school big)
    -No random slow-downs
    -Faster email recovery
    -REAL calendar
    -Reliable
    -Rock Solid
    -Not laggy
    -Ringer always works
    -No frozen screens
    -No TMC error (yeah, I know, overclocking...I did o.c. and it still gave me the error)
    -Correct size QWERTY
    I could go on and on. Palm/HP....PLEASE upgrade the unreliable and flimsy Pre ASAP. WebOs could be great when updated to reliability/smoothness/speed of the thing, but the Pre is crap.
    treos and old PalmOS is still good. WebOS has alot of catching up to do. Lets hope 2.0 brings it up to par.
    How do people even get TMC with Compache.... I have a Sprint Pre, and have had literally 20 cards open with no error. Before I was running UK I had at least 10 cards open with no error. I've YET to see this fabled TMC error in person. I just don't understand how people say they get it with 1 or 2 cards open.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    How do people even get TMC with Compache.... I have a Sprint Pre, and have had literally 20 cards open with no error. Before I was running UK I had at least 10 cards open with no error. I've YET to see this fabled TMC error in person. I just don't understand how people say they get it with 1 or 2 cards open.
    I can do it on a daily basis, I am running 500/600 userspace though..... you gotta remember it's not the number of cards, but what they contain. Just having 20 cards open means nothing, now if you are doing something in 20 cards that requires memory, you will see a slow down and will get TMC.

Not complaining, just saying, its about content of the cards not just number.
    I had to switch back to my treo700p while waitng for my replacment Pre,and I hated it! Treo is too heavy, the web access is too clunky, and with UberCalendar and Agenda installed I like my Pre's calendar better too!

I'll take the latter, but I will agree that the Pre just needs a better processor. That's really it. Maybe like 1 GB of RAM..maybe. Maybe like 1 512 MB + 1 256 MB, dual RAM? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Couldn't imagine going back to my Centro.... blah the OS switch would be horrible, I really wouldn't know what to do with myself.... then again maybe I use my phone for too many things that aren't a phone.
    <<Renamed/Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    In order for PalmOS to get to the point where the treo currently is, took YEARS for them to perfect everything and get a good operating system running. WebOS is new, it needs some tweaks give it time.
    play angry birds on the treo . Oh wait ...... You can't and never will . Ooppps sorry. I will agree the palm pre needs better hardware , but the webOS by far stomps on palmOS. Even though palmOS was (past tense) the bomb . It's because they work all the kinks out from the begging ... Well the same way they are now. Go figure . Ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Angry Birds is a fun game but let's not get carried away with all the hype...
    I used have my handspring randomly lock up and crash on me for no reason, would have to press the reset button, then usually had to sync with desktop to get everything back.... Palm OS had to come a REAL long way as others have said.
    I used PalmOS for many years and never really liked the interface. webOS instantly made sense and—despite using a similar icon system for the launcher—is much more pleasant to use. At first I thought its larger screen elements and fonts wasted too much screen space relative to the Treo, but once I learned how much easier this made navigating, it really grew on me.

The point that PalmOS is a very mature platform compared to webOS is an important one. This was a major departure, and at some point they just had to ship it even if it didn't have everything they wanted it to yet. This is why we've seen so many evolutionary jumps over the past year—many of them thanks to this community—and hopefully we'll see this trend continue and the platform have the same longevity we saw with PalmOS.

Physically, for a large-handed guy, the Treo was a more optimum size to grip comfortably, so I'd be fine with a larger phone—maybe a Pixi Max that has everything the Pre does without the sliding keyboard?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Good points, all. I was just surprised by how well the Treo works compared to my Pre. WebOs is great, it just aggravates me when it locks up (on both my wife's Pre and mine) or has some other problem. I realize it is a young OS and thank you for pointing that out. I am waiting for 2.0 and I bet that my frustration will ebb.