1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

100 Days With the iPad: Part 1
    By Tim Bajarin, ARTICLE DATE: 08.30.10

100 Days With the iPad: Part 1

In the past 100 days, Apple's iPad has changed the way I work and live.

Immediately after the iPad came out, I went out and bought four. I have one for myself and three for my senior staff members. They have become part of a living lab within our internal research environment. I use my daily and challenged my staff to do the same. I asked them to give me a weekly update on how they used it, what they like and disliked about it, and how it affected their digital lifestyles. The breakdown from a gender standpoint was two men and two women.

I have been the heaviest user of the iPad in the group. I carry the device with me everywhere. I use it at home, the office, and especially on the road. I'm intrigued with the mobile versatility it affords me, letting me access my e-mail, the Web, and dozens of applications I use on a daily basis. I bought the DodoCase, which gives it the appearance of a normal paper notepad, which I can carry into meetings. I also purchased the $89 Apple Bluetooth keyboard, which I use to take notes and even write a column or two a week. The total weight is only two pounds.

On many short trips, the iPad is the only computer I carry with me. Since it has Outlook, I have to access to a full e-mail client and all of the synched files that go with it. And with Apple's Pages and Numbers app, I have a full word processing and spreadsheet program at my disposal. I also bought Keynote, which handles all of my presentationsówith a USB to iPad connector, I'm able to tie the device to a projector and use it for presentations. In one case, I used it to present to a room with multiple projectors and 2,000 people in attendance. Interestingly, since the device is so portable, I was also able to use it for one-on-one presentations in restaurants and private offices.

About 75 percent of my computer usage has moved over to the iPad. It's the main device I use for Web browsing and checking my Facebook and Twitter accounts. But I have also come to realize that it will never replace my PC entirely. I think of the iPad as my go-to device for light-lifting computing. In a way, it's an extension of my main computer. But if I am creating a major report, writing a long column, working on Websites, editing videos or photos, or anything else relatively complex, I'll be using my laptop and desktop.

My son Ben also received an iPad. He oversees our Gen X and Gen Y media research group. Like me, he's a true geek. He uses the device similar to the way I do. However, he's a young dad with two girls, ages five and seven. His wife loves it for Web surfing and checking e-mail. He tells me that they both pick it up when watching TV. They might use the great IMDB app or visit Wikipedia to find information about a movie they are watching. It's a portable gateway to a world of information. Its access to info is almost limitless.

To his daughters, it's a book and game machine. They often say, "I want to play the iPad." He has downloaded books and educational and fun games for them. When they are on long trips, the girls fight over it. In the 100 days since it came out, it has become just another one of the screens they have in their home to access digital stuff.

As a grandfather and professional researcher, I watch closely how the girls use technology. As I mentioned in last week's column, they have used video telephony to talk to me since they were born. They approach technology differently than us older folks. To them, it's just part of their daily life. It's nothing exceptional. It's just another screen for playing movies and reading books, andóas they get olderódoing homework. To Ben and his family, it has become a welcome and fun tool. To me, it is a great mobile screen that lets me access digital information anywhere at any time.

We have trouble reading it in direct sunlight, it's a bit heavier than we would like it to be, and it's not very precise then it comes to cut and paste, but we do love its 10+ hour battery and sharp screen. What strikes us the most about the iPad, however, is the plethora of apps and the Apple ecosystem. In fact, I use the apps so much that I rarely wind up using the Web browser. When I want news, I use The New York Times, USA Today, ABC News, ESPN Score Center apps. Or I use FlipBoard, which turns just about any site into a newspaper format. It really showcases the way that tablets can be used as a powerful information tool.

Apple has a big lead in the space, and its ecosystem will be hard to replicate. Now I haven't had as much time with any Android tablet yet, but I do expect them to spring up next year in big numbers, along with a budding ecosystem. And we can expect HP's webOS tablet and ones using Windows to offer competition.

After 100 days with the iPad, I am convinced that this is a form factor that's not going away any time soon. It represents the next major mobile computing platform, and I think it will evolve into a serious companion to our desktops and laptops.

Next week I will share the women's perspectives and experiences with the device and discuss its overall ramifications for the PC market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I am very happy with my iPad. Sure there are drawbacks but it does what it does well. By far the best thing about it is the battery life. I can use it constantly for 2 days and still have battery left over.

I have been evaluating Android phones for work (Droid Incredible and now a Droid X) and so far I am not very impressed. To me, webOS is the only other platform that has the potential to match the polish that iOS has. It just needs better hardware to shine.

I think the HP webOS tablet is going to be amazing.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I could write a similar article about my 11.6" notebook that has similar battery life, runs a real OS and does a whole lot more.

I stopped reading after he said Since it has Outlook, I have to access to a full e-mail client and all of the synched files that go with it. And with Apple's Pages and Numbers app, I have a full word processing and spreadsheet program at my disposal. What a moron..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I could write a similar article about my 11.6" notebook that has similar battery life, runs a real OS and does a whole lot more.
    Yes, but it's heavier, is not instant on, and most importantly - has a trackpad, which is far inferior to mutltitouch. I don't really care about a "real os" - I just want to do stuff quickly and easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    Yes, but it's heavier, is not instant on, and most importantly - has a trackpad, which is far inferior to mutltitouch. I don't really care about a "real os" - I just want to do stuff quickly and easily.
    It "awakes" pretty quickly. Just a lb heavier. But has a real kb.

Trackpad is superior IMO but can hook up a mouse if desired. Multitouch isn't precise.

You don't really care about having much better apps, many more features, or a full browser with flash? I would argue you get "stuff" done more quickly, easily, and reliably when you have the proper tools.
    I obtained (not purchased) an ipad about 2 months ago. At first, I felt the same way as most of the posters here. The thing was extremely fun to use. Finally having access the the iphone apps was exciting.

Then, as time wore on, I found myself reaching for the laptop instead of the ipad. Its not that the ipad cant do most things, its kind of just a PITA to do, well anything. First of all, lack of multitasking is a HUGE issue for me. Maybe its because my first smartphone was a Pre and I was never subjected to it before. But it drives me insane. I cannot stand closing out programs and having to reopen them. Nevermind not knowing which apps will take you back to where you left off. Most dont. Second, the weight and awkwardness is something you have to deal with every time you use it. There's really not good way to type on the thing. Oh, that brings me to physical keyboards, or the lack of it on ipad as I'm sure everyone knows. I never knew how much I loved a physical keyboard until the ipad. You see, they're really all small problems with it, but for something that is marketed as purely a convenience form factor...it just fell short for me (WAAAY short).

Let me say this, I had a chance to aquire (not buy) a 2nd one. I told my girlfriend I was not interested. I'd rather her just get herself something else or give it to someone. For anyone that is curious, my girlfriend was given it for hitting her quota at her sales job. All we pay is the taxes on it.

Trackpad is superior IMO but can hook up a mouse if desired. Multitouch isn't precise.

You don't really care about having much better apps, many more features, or a full browser with flash? I would argue you get "stuff" done more quickly, easily, and reliably when you have the proper tools.

The biggest thing I miss on the iPad is multitasking - hopefully the iOS4 upgrade will be a good solution. I occasionally have to go to the desktop to use a flash site, so I agree with a lot of what you're saying - however, 9 times out of 10 for home use I grab the iPad.

Yeah, the instant-on thing baffles me. I use Windows 7, and it wakes up instantly. I don't shut down fully anymore than someone with an iPad depowers their device.

For my family, the iPad just doesn't make sense. My wife will spend long hours YouTube-ing various videos and concerts from when she was growing up, then check out her Facebook, and maybe do something else. On my 11.6-inch note/netbook, she can do all of that quickly and simultaneously from within one browser with tabs (Chrome). On iPad, she'd be tapping in and out stuck on one thing at a time. Even when "multitasking" gets enabled, it's still one thing at a time on the screen at a lower resolution. I'm pretty sure the Apple YouTube app isn't multitasking capable, anyway.

The iPad is definitely more fun in that you have a touchscreen, and it opens and closes programs pretty fast. Buuuuuuut, the limited RAM cripples browsing for me (I typically have 7-10 tabs open, and often stream within one or more of them) and my wife, and the multitasking is still limited.
    My iPad has become my travel companion of choice. My Netbook and Kindle have been given away. I don't miss flash, physical keyboards, or anything from my crappy netbook. I love not running virus and spyware software. The best part is the battery life and the small footprint. Cant wait for the 4.0 upgrade.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Not bad for an overpriced, big screen iPod touch. The iPad is an app engine, not a computer. It's perfect for everyday people, and that's why it sells so well. It's also perfect for people who like to be told what to do technology-wise. For people who want more options, don't like to be told what to do, and have a mind of their own, it's less than ideal.

AND, Apple is evil too. Hopefully the webOS tablet will deliver the goods.
    Last edited by Phillykef; 08/31/2010 at 06:13 PM.

I stopped reading after he said Since it has Outlook, I have to access to a full e-mail client and all of the synched files that go with it. And with Apple's Pages and Numbers app, I have a full word processing and spreadsheet program at my disposal. What a moron..
    Your laptop can run 10 hours of video? What model?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Are outlets really in that short of supply? And if they are, why on earth did you buy a Pre?

It's kind of a weird metric to champion, anyway, considering the device can barely hold 10 hours of HD video with its onboard memory, anyway. But of course, this slanted scenario takes place in a world where we can stream anything anywhere to our heart's content, but plugs and chargers are inconvenient and/or scarce.

There's always tradeoffs. The iPad is fast and ultralight precisely because it lacks many of the advantages of a laptop or netbook. A netbook is more capable and feature-laden precisely because it lacks many of the advantages of the iPad. Like the phones, get what works for you. If I lived Mobileman's life, I'd probably want an iPad too. If he lived mine, he'd probably not want want one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are outlets really in that short of supply? And if they are, why on earth did you buy a Pre?

It's kind of a weird metric to champion, anyway, considering the device can barely hold 10 hours of HD video with its onboard memory, anyway. But of course, this slanted scenario takes place in a world where we can stream anything anywhere to our heart's content, but plugs and chargers are inconvenient and/or scarce.

There's always tradeoffs. The iPad is fast and ultralight precisely because it lacks many of the advantages of a laptop or netbook. A netbook is more capable and feature-laden precisely because it lacks many of the advantages of the iPad. Like the phones, get what works for you. If I lived Mobileman's life, I'd probably want an iPad too. If he lived mine, he'd probably not want want one either.
    I understand what youn are saying and I agree. I was just calling him out on the battery life claim. If a laptop/netbook has the same battery life as the iPad, then it is going to be a lot bigger and heavier. I never said anything about HD video, and half of that 10 hours could be Netflix streaming.

Yes I could always plug in but if i don't have to it is better. I am in and out of meetings all day so being able to not have to carry around a charger is nice. I am also an engineer so my iPad is not going to replace my workstation or MacBook Pro when I need to do serious work.

My iPad hasn't really replaced anything, rather it has become an extension of my other systems. If it has replaced anything it has replaced the browsing I usually do on my Pre when I am sitting on the couch. The 10" screen is nice for that.

As far as battery life goes for my Pre, I have 6 Touchstones now so I don't even think about the battery. It is always sitting at or above 80%.

I highly reccoommemd that people just try an iPad for a couple weeks to see what they think. It really is the only way to understand how it can fit into your life. I was on the other side of the fence myself, but after owning one for a month now my tune has changed.

And I will be giving it to the wife once the webOS tablet drops.
    I was so tired of the iPad's inability to multitask I jailbroke it... Now it does multitask but not even close to as nice as seen on the Pre. I will be getting the PalmPad when it comes out... My only hope is that it has a nice assortmant of medical apps as I use my i=ad in the ER every day.
    I really thought the ipad wouldn't stack up well against netbooks. However the apps and the battery life are looking great. I think I'll wait a little bit for a tablet but I now see them as a useful alternative to laptops and fun for games and videos.I do think many people will use ipads more and more for business and travel.
    buddy has one, gave me a huge speech on why I need one. I told him show me, side by side by side my s10 and my pre. He hasn't brought it up since.
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    my tablet has multitouch...

just sayin,
    xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I was so tired of the iPad's inability to multitask I jailbroke it... Now it does multitask but not even close to as nice as seen on the Pre. I will be getting the PalmPad when it comes out... My only hope is that it has a nice assortmant of medical apps as I use my i=ad in the ER every day.
    I'm hoping the HP/Palm product is sleek and not a big thick brick.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have an iPad, but I can't say it replaced my computer. No, no ma'am!
    I use it when I don't have any other option. I always prefer the computer when I work. I guess I'm just too attached to old stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Amazon.com: Acer Aspire TimelineX AS1830T-3721 11.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Electronics

I mentioned "similar" and 10 hours vs 8 hours is similar. I'm sure the ipad is superior in battery life. But 8 hours isn't bad either considering its an actual computer running an i5 dual core processor. While an ipad is simply a bigger ipod. I'm not interested in 10 hours of video.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast