Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This is not a tablet, its a touchscreen laptop. Not sure what this has to do with an iPad.
    Looks like a tablet..
    Tablets that run a desktop OS have always failed. They fail because these tablets run apps designed for interaction with a keyboard and mouse. If I want that, I have my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Looks like a tablet..
    well, its what USED to be called a tablet lol....now that keyboardless slates have taken that over, they would probably refer to it as a "convertible notebook"....I still say its a tablet, but w/e
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Looks like a tablet..
    it looks like a laptop with a swiveling screen to me.
    "queue multiple YouTube videos"

LOL I don't even know what that means. you means some people do something different - like, ahead of time? - instead of just clicking on different You Tube links?

the examples in this thread are utterly ridiculous. An iPad, or a Netbook, or even a laptop cannot be all things to all people.

when you find the sweet product you are looking for, please stick with it, because there will be very few that meet your needs...and is under $500!
    Tablets that run a desktop OS have always failed. They fail because these tablets run apps designed for interaction with a keyboard and mouse. If I want that, I have my laptop.
    same could be said of the new "tablets"....I wont use anything without a physical keyboard. thats half of why I have a pre.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    it looks like a laptop with a swiveling screen to me.
    Just one more thing the ipad can't do? I have a swiveling screen on my camera. Comes in handy..
    That's the laptop you have to use on a table top, right? Because of the hump, it slides off laps, right?

I will be curious to hear how you use a touch screen when the unit is on the table in front of you, with a keyboard in front of it.

I am guessing the touchscreen on that unit isn't used much.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    That's the laptop you have to use on a table top, right? Because of the hump, it slides off laps, right?

I will be curious to hear how you use a touch screen when the unit is on the table in front of you, with a keyboard in front of it.

I am guessing the touchscreen on that unit isn't used much.
    you should do more research on windows 7....it makes it operate just like a tablet would

decent demo (turn the volume down, shes loud):

and check out bumptop, its awesome:
    @agentmock

My 14" dell laptop with 8 gig Ram probably does it even better. Not sure why you are comparing a big netbook/laptop to an iPad.
    I'm not. I'm comparing a lower-priced item with a bigger screen, higher resolution, more RAM, more storage, webcam/Skype abilities, and good battery life that weighs maybe 2 pounds more and is a few inches bigger diagonally than an iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    "queue multiple YouTube videos"

LOL I don't even know what that means. you means some people do something different - like, ahead of time? - instead of just clicking on different You Tube links?
    Don't see what the confusion is.

"Hey, I wanna watch this video, but I'm also interested in these other 7 videos. Guess I will open them all up in different tabs in Chrome, pause them, then let them load all-at-once so I can watch each in their entirety instantaneously by tabbing back and forth. Maybe I want to switch quickly between the two to compare a band's live performance in one city to another one elsewhere."

My wife does this all of the time. Can't do it on iPad. There's an app. It takes over the entire screen. Loads up one thing at a time. If I want to watch something else, I have to close out that video entirely and search for another video. If I want to go back to the original, I have to go back and then search for THAT video again, then have it reload. Oh, I wanna Facebook as the music plays in the background? Whoops. I thought this thing multitasked with iOS 4.x for iPad? Speaking of which, why is my web page reloading when I go back to it?

Nothing extraordinary or extreme about that scenario. Maybe I want to queue up multiple movie trailers instead. Maybe I want to torrent in the background as I play a game. It doesn't matter. There is no "mobile OS" that does these things well. A full OS in a very mobile form factor gets the job does just fine for less, however.

the examples in this thread are utterly ridiculous. An iPad, or a Netbook, or even a laptop cannot be all things to all people.

when you find the sweet product you are looking for, please stick with it, because there will be very few that meet your needs...and is under $500!
    Like I said, I got mine for $250 slightly used. New, I could find an even better one with a better processor and more storage for $400. There are lots of 11.6-inch babies that can do this arriving this year from Asus, Dell, and even HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    you should do more research on windows 7....it makes it operate just like a tablet would

decent demo (turn the volume down, shes loud):

and check out bumptop, its awesome:
    Maybe the OS does, but how does outlook, excel, access and other apps written for mouse input work? Also, I'm wondering what antivirus and spyware apps you are forced to run.
    Maybe the OS does, but how does outlook, excel, access and other apps written for mouse input work? Also, I'm wondering what antivirus and spyware apps you are forced to run.
    just fine since windows 7 has an option to make drop menus and application buttons bigger for touch based

and, i dont run any antivirus. I quit running anti-virus years ago when I realized I had learned how to surf the internet and not click on stupid sites and email links.

n fact this computer im typing on has not had anti-virus or spyware on it for 2 years since I got it. I decided to run malware the other day just to see what had gotten on it....searched 20,000 files....found 2 pieces.

how many times are you gonna reformat your mac? my brother has to reformat his every 6 months and start fresh
    @agentmock

i dont run any antivirus. I quit running anti-virus years ago when I realized I had learned how to surf the internet and not click on stupid sites and email links.
    Showstopper right there. I would not be allowed to connect to my corporate email system, connect to the corporate network, or anything else. It would be a 4 pound paperweight.

I have tried MS Excel on a toshiba tablet. The experience was far from usable, and certainly not something I would dump my laptop for.
    how many times are you gonna reformat your mac? my brother has to reformat his every 6 months and start fresh
    None. Same amount of times I have reformatted my Windows 7 machine.

I have tried MS Excel on a toshiba tablet. The experience was far from usable, and certainly not something I would dump my laptop for.
    So instead you bought a big ipod? How's running excel on that working out for ya?
    Showstopper right there. I would not be allowed to connect to my corporate email system, connect to the corporate network, or anything else. It would be a 4 pound paperweight.
    Corporations force users to run a great many bits of Windows software for many reasons good and bad. Has nothing to do with this discussion, really.

I run and have been running for the past year or two Microsoft's Security Essentials for all things firewall, spyware, and antivirus. It has a low memory footprint, is far less intrusive than Norton or McAfree, and is free and constantly updated. Runs fine on both my desktop (XP) and my Atom/Ion netbook (Win 7 Premium).

The only time I even opened it since the first time I installed it was to install it on the netbook. Otherwise, it's set it and forget it. This is a pretty crusty old canard.

thats why i have a work managed laptop....for work

and who would use excel on a ipad? no one. inputing large amounts of data is always better with a physical keyboard. you could just flip the keyboard out of the ipad i suppose....oh wait, it doesnt have that feature.

So instead you bought a big ipod? How's running excel on that working out for ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Corporations force users to run a great many bits of Windows software for many reasons good and bad. Has nothing to do with this discussion, really.
    +1 to both
    @agentmock

It runs fantastic using Documents to go. Built for touch. Apples Numbers program is even better, but you cant save spreadhseets in the excel format.
    thats why i have a work managed laptop....for work

and who would use excel on a ipad? no one. inputing large amounts of data is always better with a physical keyboard. you could just flip the keyboard out of the ipad i suppose....oh wait, it doesnt have that feature.

+1 to both
    I have a ton of spreadsheets on my iPad. I am big into spreadsheets. I sync them back to my desktop using dropbox. It works very well. If you do not think spreadsheets will work well on a Touch only device, go to an Apple store and try out Numbers.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast